Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Really don't like the mode dial

godfather
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Really don't like the mode dial

There are many things I like about the changes that have taken place on the 5d. The programable buttons and user interface really work well for me. However, I do not like the mode dial at all on these cameras. I honestly did have problems with the rubberized mode dials moving when I had it in and out of my bag but I really don't like the lock on the newer bodies. I'm looking for a 1d style button interface on the next generation!

Dec 20, 2012 at 05:39 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Really don't like the mode dial

I think the mode (command dial) was shorter on prior models and thus less prone to accidental use. I'm guessing the taller dial was used to help gloved shooters grip the darn thing more easily. Of course, pressing the lock while turning with gloves is harder than having the shorter dial. I'd pay a benjamin to remove the lock. I've not read any posts of shooters breaking the lock because they forgot to press it, but it happened to me several times in the 1990s when mode dial locks were standard. The dial would then spin freely but was loose as a goose...

Dec 20, 2012 at 06:19 PM
drobertfranz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Really don't like the mode dial

Gochugogi wrote:
I think the mode (command dial) was shorter on prior models and thus less prone to accidental use. I'm guessing the taller dial was used to help gloved shooters grip the darn thing more easily. Of course, pressing the lock while turning with gloves is harder than having the shorter dial. I'd pay a benjamin to remove the lock. ...

And I payed a benjamin to put the lock on my 5d2 & 7d and I'm VERY glad I did. Lost way to many shots when the mode dial was accidently moved. Lock is best thing ever fo me!!!

Dec 20, 2012 at 06:33 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Really don't like the mode dial

i don't understand the lock hate. you reach up to the dial, grip it with your thumb and middle finger while pressing the top with your index finger, rotate. never miss a beat.

Dec 20, 2012 at 07:55 PM
crwoo
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Really don't like the mode dial

I like the mode dial. i have never unintentionally moved it. but I use it a lot so I make sure its always in the right mode.

Dec 20, 2012 at 07:59 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Really don't like the mode dial

I do not know todays quality. In 2001 at EOS 5 it was just plastic and really easy to break it. Me happened same like Gochugogi. It is still broken ...

Dec 20, 2012 at 08:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

zlatko
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Really don't like the mode dial

I like the new mode dial. After a while, pressing the button becomes completely reflexive and instant. No more lost shots due to accidental mode changes.

Dec 20, 2012 at 09:49 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Really don't like the mode dial

godfather wrote:
There are many things I like about the changes that have taken place on the 5d. The programable buttons and user interface really work well for me. However, I do not like the mode dial at all on these cameras. I honestly did have problems with the rubberized mode dials moving when I had it in and out of my bag but I really don't like the lock on the newer bodies. I'm looking for a 1d style button interface on the next generation!

I agree. I also prefer to have a mode button you press while turning the dial. This also makes it easier to switch modes while looking through the viewfinder if you want to.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Really don't like the mode dial

goosemang wrote:
i don't understand the lock hate. you reach up to the dial, grip it with your thumb and middle finger while pressing the top with your index finger, rotate. never miss a beat.

When you own multiple cameras without the lock, and one with the lock, accidents will likely happen in the heat of a shoot. In the case of the 60D, the video mode is on the extreme other side of the mode dial so you need two hands and a 360 degree rotation while pressing the button. I need to turn, reposition finger and turn again to get there! The button press just makes a bad mode dial resign worse.

After 3 to 4 years of shooting with a 7D and 5D2, I have not suffered any unwanted mode changes. But I don't have a beer gut or tight camera bag. On the other hand, I have accidental EC changes once in a while. Of course that dial has a lock but at least you can choose whether or not to use it. I think if Canon allowed lock/unlocked mode dial options everybody would be happy.

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:40 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Really don't like the mode dial

I don't change the dial enough for this to be too much of an issue, but I do find it annoying myself. I almost always forget to try and push in the button before I rotate the knob. I guess I'm just used to previous bodies.

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:10 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Really don't like the mode dial

I leave it on manual and only unlock and turn the mode dial when moving into C2 (1080P) or C3 (720P) which are set up for video.

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:13 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Really don't like the mode dial

godfather wrote:

Yeah, it stinks. 25 years ago you could buy a mid-range body with buttons on the left.

EBH

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:32 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password