Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · NCAA Basketball Questions

Curtiss Bryant
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · NCAA Basketball Questions

So I am going to be doing some NCAA Basketball coverage for a local website of the Gators (both men and women). The first game I am covering is tonight and since I have never shot at the NCAA level for basketball, I had a few questions from the experienced guys here. I tried calling UF, but I guess the person who is in charge of the media relation stuff wasnt in at the moment so no one knew the answers.

1) Is there specific spots on the baselines for the photographers? I have seen some places have numbered boxes, but wasnt sure if that was the norm.

2) If you are there to cover one team, do you stay in the same spot on the baseline for both halves (so they come to you in one half and away from you in the other) or do you go to the end where they will be facing to cover both defense and offense?

3) Are we able to shoot from the sideline areas or just the baselines?

Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I know the rules vary from venue to venue, but I figured there were some things in common.

Dec 20, 2012 at 04:48 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · NCAA Basketball Questions

Your best bet is to get to the venue sufficiently early (at least 90 minutes) to have your questions answered by the person in charge. As you say, these things vary from venue to venue (and sometimes, from person to person you might speak to at the venue!). That's why you want to go directly to the source, and allow yourself lots of time to get the lay of the land. If you'll be transmitting images from the venue, that's another whole set of instructions, touring, etc. that will be required.

Dec 20, 2012 at 05:03 PM
ElanKawesch

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · NCAA Basketball Questions

Russ is definitely right that you should get there early and ask.

Keep in mind that you may want to bring along a short stool or milk crate if you get stuck shooting in the second row of photographers. I don't know how many shooters UF usually gets, but some college venues have really limited space because they'll have cheerleaders on the baseline, and maybe even a dance team. If that's the case, you dont want to have to kneel the whole time in the second row to get over the first row of photographers.

Good luck!

Dec 20, 2012 at 08:15 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · NCAA Basketball Questions

Each school differs. As everyone said, get there early. My first time at CU, I happened to see someone I knew and was able to talk to him and get the skinny, but if you do not know, ask someone who looks like they know, specifically the media contact. But if you can find the SID shooter or one of the many team photographers and talk to them. At CU it is a free for all. I like to get there early and gaffer tape my card down in the spot I want to shoot from.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Romeo Guzman

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · NCAA Basketball Questions

As mentioned already get there early, most NCAA BB will have photogs on one side and the team cheer leaders on the other side and on the other end you may have the dance team. I like to stay on one end this way I can cover both teams when they are on offense. From what I hear UF mens bb baselines get crowded if they are in the top 25 and more so if they are going up against another top team.

Dec 21, 2012 at 04:22 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password