Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

Tom K.
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

Full review here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sony_rx1_review.shtml

Dec 20, 2012 at 07:10 AM
pdmphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

The article seems bent on justifying the price, and Sony features (like the Auto ISO implementation). The sample pictures aren't anything special, and there isn't much talk about the negatives that have been brought up by other users.

Dec 20, 2012 at 08:11 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

My first reaction was to recall... He likes it! Hey Mikey!

This review represents quite the about face MR has had with respect to EVFs compared to his review of the EVF in the A99.

Dec 20, 2012 at 09:28 AM
thedigitalbean
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

pdmphoto wrote:
The article seems bent on justifying the price, and Sony features (like the Auto ISO implementation). The sample pictures aren't anything special, and there isn't much talk about the negatives that have been brought up by other users.

Out of many sections in the review he spends one talking about the price of the camera and its in Sony's favor. He then spends the next paragraph ripping Sony a new one for the absurd pricing of the accessories. No sample pictures made from *any* have ever been anything special when displayed at web resolution. His review highlights several weaknesses of the RX-1 as well as strengths. You know things like Auto ISO implementation *are* actually important for people who want to use the camera. He talk about the poor battery life, Sony's cheapness in what they included in the camera and their baffling incompetence when dealing with videos and still simultaneously. The most notable thing he doesn't talk about is the flat field issues that some have reported here. Hardly a surprise since his reviews are done from actual photography rather than shooting blank walls and I don't see any color casts in his images.

Dec 20, 2012 at 02:56 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

thedigitalbean wrote

Out of many sections in the review he spends one talking about the price of the camera and its in Sony's favor. He then spends the next paragraph ripping Sony a new one for the absurd pricing of the accessories. No sample pictures made from *any* have ever been anything special when displayed at web resolution. His review highlights several weaknesses of the RX-1 as well as strengths. You know things like Auto ISO implementation *are* actually important for people who want to use the camera. He talk about the poor battery life, Sony's cheapness in what they included in
...Show more

+1

Dec 20, 2012 at 05:51 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

thedigitalbean wrote:
The most notable thing he doesn't talk about is the flat field issues that some have reported here. Hardly a surprise since his reviews are done from actual photography rather than shooting blank walls and I don't see any color casts in his images.

What "flat field issues" are you thinking of? My decentered lens? Well, of course he can't talk about something that was not happening with his camera, and I haven't heard of one single RX1 user having the same issue. And I use cameras for actual photography, but of course I wanted to confirm the error with a "blank wall" before sending it back.

I have only seen color casts in images taken of snowy scenes lit with streetlights, so no surprise he hasn't seen that either.

Dec 20, 2012 at 06:50 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

Makten wrote:
What "flat field issues" are you thinking of? My decentered lens? Well, of course he can't talk about something that was not happening with his camera, and I haven't heard of one single RX1 user having the same issue. And I use cameras for actual photography, but of course I wanted to confirm the error with a "blank wall" before sending it back.

I have only seen color casts in images taken of snowy scenes lit with streetlights, so no surprise he hasn't seen that either.

He is just referring to the color cast: link

Dec 20, 2012 at 06:52 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

douglasf13 wrote:
He is just referring to the color cast: link

How is that a "flat field issue"?

Dec 20, 2012 at 07:52 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

Makten wrote:
How is that a "flat field issue"?

Yeah, I thought it was a little odd that Adobe called it that, too.

edit: I just looked at some info on C1's version of this, and found this quote, "This procedure describes how to overcome imbalances in light, when photographing a typical flat copy artwork."

Dec 20, 2012 at 07:55 PM
briantho
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

Reading the RX1 threads on the forums, It seems everyone (besides Helena) has returned their copy for one reason or another. Non-circular aperture, decentered lens, color shifts, oil on sensor... How come the QC is so bad for this top of the line camera?

Dec 20, 2012 at 07:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mortyb
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

TBH, the QC on this camera seem much worse than on for instance the A900 - which is the most perfectly tuned camera I've had. My other Sonys have also been 99,9 %. I think it's a bit weird considering the price.

Dec 20, 2012 at 08:02 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

briantho wrote:
Reading the RX1 threads on the forums, It seems everyone (besides Helena) has returned their copy for one reason or another. Non-circular aperture, decentered lens, color shifts, oil on sensor... How come the QC is so bad for this top of the line camera?

My copy is working fine.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

I would also expect better QC out of a $3k camera.... I have heard far less QC issues on the NEX-5/7.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:38 PM
artur5
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

It seems only natural that the RX1, being near the price level of Leicas M8/M9, should be also loaded with the multiple problems and QC that burdened the M8s and M9s. Let's hope for no cracked sensors or green stripes with this Sony.

Just joking.( or maybe not .. )

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:00 PM
joanlvh
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

+1 to Wayne Seltzers comment, although I am definitely not the experienced analyst that others are, but it certainly is fun.
Thanks joanlvh

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:54 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

pdmphoto wrote:

i for one am very happy to know that you can set the bounds on the iso, and very sad to know that you can't set min shutter speed. it's nice to know how different people feel about the handling as well. i would never expect MR to provide terribly useful shots for judging the minutia of image quality. he seems to have given up on that long ago, probably for the best.

Dec 21, 2012 at 01:45 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

joanlvh wrote:
+1 to Wayne Seltzers comment, although I am definitely not the experienced analyst that others are, but it certainly is fun.
Thanks joanlvh

+2 The RX 1 is a lot of camera with some amazing features. It is so intuitive, and just works. I am still not convinced with just having a LCD to compose shots, so I may opt for a OVF, legacy of the M9

Dec 21, 2012 at 01:49 AM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

sebboh wrote:
i for one am very happy to know that you can set the bounds on the iso, and very sad to know that you can't set min shutter speed. it's nice to know how different people feel about the handling as well. i would never expect MR to provide terribly useful shots for judging the minutia of image quality. he seems to have given up on that long ago, probably for the best.

That ISO2500 100% crop result is poor. I have ISO1600 shots from my old NX200 and 30/2 that are better. I'm a huge fan of full frame, but I see little full frame magic in the RX1. There are plenty of Zeiss and Leica 35 focal length pictures (viewed at internet sizes) taken with Canon, Nikon, or Leica FF bodies that do WOW me.

Dec 21, 2012 at 02:36 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

pdmphoto wrote:
That ISO2500 100% crop result is poor. I have ISO1600 shots from my old NX200 and 30/2 that are better. I'm a huge fan of full frame, but I see little full frame magic in the RX1. There are plenty of Zeiss and Leica 35 focal length pictures (viewed at internet sizes) taken with Canon, Nikon, or Leica FF bodies that do WOW me.

You can't compare images that aren't in the same light. My M9 at ISO 1600 in bright daylight is cleaner than a D3s is at ISO 1600 in a cave.

Dec 21, 2012 at 03:37 AM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

briantho wrote:

A combination of buyers remorse and the fact that most people with grievances of that kind go to forums to let off steam. People who love the camera and have zero problems with it are happy and don't rush to the photo forums to jump up and down about how great the camera is.

Dec 21, 2012 at 04:16 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password