New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · 24-70mm f2.8 IS

Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 24-70mm f2.8 IS

Yes, Tamron did manage to include VC, but the Tamron lens is not anywhere near the build and optical quality of the Canon version II. If we were comparing against the original, then the Tamron seems more groundbreaking. But from what I've seen, the Tamron is not better optically than a well adjusted version one, at least not significantly, especially on the edges.

Stephanie -- Waiting 18 months to buy a rumored version III with IS? Um. . . I don't know if that is a sensible business decision. We have no idea if or when that idea will ever become reality. I would get what I need for now, then sell it and upgrade when a new model is available. It's strictly a personal decision.

If we do eventually get an IS version III, I suppose it would be introduced at the same price as the v.II intro price, or slightly more, during which time v. II would have fallen to around $2k or a touch less. But I don't see Canon refreshing lenses very rapidly unless these is some catastrophic defect. Even the crummy 28-135 IS has limped along and still remains. Frankly, I'm surprised Canon felt the pressure to introduce the f/4 IS version.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:45 AM
rebelshooter
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 24-70mm f2.8 IS

This is what I do not understand.
70-200 2.8L IS $2499-400IR=2099
24-70 2.8II $2299

Why can they build a 70-200 2.8 WITH IS and a 24-70 WITHOUT IS and basically charge the same amount?
Help me out here.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:50 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 24-70mm f2.8 IS

I have a feeling there are greater technical difficulties with adding an IS optical unit on a wide zoom and still retaining the edge to edge sharpness across the frame. Canon knows that any IS version will immediately be compared to the non-IS one. Sadly I don't see this mythical beast at the $2299 price point. More like $3000.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:13 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 24-70mm f2.8 IS

rebelshooter wrote:
This is what I do not understand.
70-200 2.8L IS $2499-400IR=2099
24-70 2.8II $2299

Why can they build a 70-200 2.8 WITH IS and a 24-70 WITHOUT IS and basically charge the same amount?
Help me out here.

My hunch is that there are several factors at work, including:

1. each newer lens seems to come in at a higher price than previous models of that lens or other lenses that might be in the same category, then drop a bit, and then stay about the same for the lifetime of the lens. (E.g. - it seems to me that Canon makes their largest increases when a new thing is introduced, after which the price tends to be relatively stable over the product's life.)
  2. the 70-200mm zooms are part of a family of lenses, so some development costs might be split among them.
  3. the 24-70 is not likely to sell as many copies as the 70-200mm zooms, for a variety of reasons.
  4. Canon probably feels that they can sell this lens for this much.

Note that there have already been price reductions of up to $250 on the 24-70. See info about a current promotion here.

Dan

Dec 20, 2012 at 01:38 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.