Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Hockey Photography

Rich Images

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hockey Photography

I wanted to share some of my most recent hockey photos for some c/c. I am somewhat frustrated with the quality of my images, especially when cropped or zoomed to original. I shoot with a Canon 5D MarkII, 70-200mm f/2.8 usm-II, settings f/2.8-f/3.2 @1/800-1000, ISO 1600-2000. I seem to get more noise that I wish. I am not going very high with my ISO and my lens is wide open. Would let's say a Canon 1Dx be leaps and bounds better than the Canon 5D when it came to this sort of sports photography when it come to image quality/better sensor? I imagine the 300mm f/2.8 would eliminate the need for cropping and some noise, but even when the action is close to me at 200mm the quality isn't there. I also, shoot custom white balance off dirty ice.

Thanks,

Rich

Dec 19, 2012 at 05:31 PM
Rich Images

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hockey Photography

One more...

Dec 19, 2012 at 05:33 PM
Hockey_Nut
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hockey Photography

Hey Rich,

I can't speak to the Canon gear as I'm a Nikon guy, but I would suggest you try using a shutter speed of 1/500. This will still freeze the action and if you can raise the ISO to 2500-3200 it will really help. I don't have access to any of my photos to illustrate what can be achieved with a slower shutter but search for DJ's hockey threads as his stuff is spot on.

Take care,

Brent

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:03 PM
dweverett

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hockey Photography

Rich Images wrote:
I wanted to share some of my most recent hockey photos for some c/c. I am somewhat frustrated with the quality of my images, especially when cropped or zoomed to original. I shoot with a Canon 5D MarkII, 70-200mm f/2.8 usm-II, settings f/2.8-f/3.2 @1/800-1000, ISO 1600-2000. I seem to get more noise that I wish. I am not going very high with my ISO and my lens is wide open. Would let's say a Canon 1Dx be leaps and bounds better than the Canon 5D when it came to this sort of sports photography when it come to image
...Show more

I haven't shot any hockey but based on what I've seen in other folks posts are you sure the settings you posted above are correct? Really surprised you can get that high a shutter speed at those ISO settings.

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hockey Photography

I don't see (on my monitor) where these are out of focus or lack sharpness.
I think they are a little underexposed. Crank up your exposure until you get the highlights blinking and then back off 1/3 stop if you need to.
From what I've seen posted here on FM most of them are brighter than yours.
I have the 5D2 and don't see much noise when I expose to the right.
Keep shooting.

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Rich Images

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hockey Photography

For the sake of accuracy, my exact settings on the last goalie shot were f/2.8, 200mm, 1/800, ISO 3200. This rink was dark. I generally do not go over 1600 ISO. I will try to get my "blinkies" going and back it of a bit, seems logical.

Rich

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:45 AM
clarence3
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hockey Photography

I think they look good. I'm surprised how well you did with the 5D2 and a 2.8 lens.

Lots of sharp detail in the weave of the sock in #1.
Good face exposure in #3 and #5.

I'd like to see a puck in at least one of the shots, though.

I'm not much of a hockey shooter. I tried a game several years ago, and it was quite challenging. Especially for someone who doesn't follow the sport, it takes a while to follow the puck TTL and predict where it's going.

I tried my 2nd hockey game ever this week. Used a 5D3 and a 200/1.8L, some with a 1.4x TC. Used fluorescent WB preset. Kept SS at 1/1000". ISO between 1600-4000 as I changed aperture from 1.8 to 2.8.

These weren't worthy as a stand-alone thread, but I thought I'd offer them as a comparison of the 5D3 vs the 5D2. I used to have the 5D2 and I never would've even tried using it with hockey, due to weak AI Servo away from center point. I don't have any experience with the 1DX, but I would expect it to perform even better than the 5D3.

5D Mark III in the penalty box:

1. http://loco-photo.com/images/2012-12-19_1019.jpg

2. http://loco-photo.com/images/2012-12-19_1051.jpg

3. http://loco-photo.com/images/2012-12-19_1073.jpg

4. http://loco-photo.com/images/2012-12-19_1076.jpg

5. http://loco-photo.com/images/2012-12-19_1095.jpg

6. http://loco-photo.com/images/2012-12-19_1100.jpg

7. http://loco-photo.com/images/2012-12-19_1201.jpg

8. http://loco-photo.com/images/2012-12-19_1140.jpg

Dec 21, 2012 at 07:20 PM
Myra J

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hockey Photography

Rich, seriously, your shots look fine. I, too, am impressed that you can get this exposure with your settings. As mentioned above, tweak the shutter speed down a bit and you'll be spot on.

I shoot with a Canon 1DIII/70-200 f/2.8 and have to use 2.8/ 1/400 ISO 6400 to get anything close to a decent exposure.

Dec 21, 2012 at 09:34 PM
ACNYPhoto
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hockey Photography

Damn, I'm unable to use anything lower than 3200 in any of the rinks I'm shooting at, even wide open and a 1/500 shutter speed. There's a few rinks I'm at 12,800 ISO, f2.8 and 1/250 and it really sucks...

Otherwise I think the shots look good, I'd got the ice to be a little whiter but they work.

Dec 22, 2012 at 04:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Rich Images

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Hockey Photography

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. My lens is actually a Canon 200mm f/2.8, USM II to be exact. I am a bit limited with the 200mm and a 300mm would make a world of difference as far as cropping goes. I have yet to shoot from a penalty box or from ice level without shooting through glass. I bet the 200mm would shine there.

Here is another sample, one version right out of the camera, the other photoshop Elements 10 tweeked. Taken at f/3.2, 1/800, ISO 3200 with custom white balance off the ice. To get it right the 1st time, in camera what should I be using for settings? (I know all rinks are different and answers may vary) F2.8,1/500 same ISO? What is the best way to set using the "blinkies"

Also, I run into a lot of DOF issues when shooting at F/2.8, one player is in focus, all the others blurry. I am guessing that I have to live with it as aperture is the only thing controlling DOF.

Right out of the camera...

Photoshop enhanced...

Dec 22, 2012 at 08:58 PM
gtjohnson
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Hockey Photography

Rich,

I don't qualify to even carry the lens cap for some others on this forum, but I'll chip in my two cents ...

As others have mentioned previously, less shutter speed and/or higher iso will get your in-camera shot to look more like your Photoshopped version. The better you expose, the less noise you'll see. When your exposure has to be brought up in post, you'll amplify the noise. Heavy cropping will reveal more noise as well, so tighter is better (of course, you're limited by the equipment you have available. I'm assuming picking up a 300 2.8 next week is not an option ...).

Try shooting through the glass behind the goal. You'll get better 'face' shots and you'll be much closer to the action. You'll lose a little light, a little sharpness, and some contrast but the ability to shoot tight can often times give you just as sharp a shot as having to substantially crop an over-the-glass shot. You can adjust your settings to compensate or adjust in post, but it's an option you should explore to see what your results are. Try to pick a spot that's reasonably clear to shoot through and keep your lens as close to the glass as possible to avoid reflections (I put my lens hood right on the glass for these shots).

I'm with the guys previous, I shoot a 1D3 and my standard starting point for HS hockey is 6400 iso @ 1/400 using a 70-200 @ 2.8 and it's usually not far from correct.

Are you shooting in RAW or JPG? RAW gives you much more room to adjust your photos in post. Of course, the goal here is to reduce your post processing, but RAW can save a great shot that wasn't exposed properly and it will also allow you to adjust the color temperature which can help you set it properly next time you return to that rink. Whatever you're doing, the post-processed shot looks great - nice exposure and popping colors.

Are you using any noise reduction software? If not, it can make a substantial difference in your end result. As a sample you can try Noiseware's free version. That may encourage you to shoot at a higher iso and either get a better exposure or a faster shutter speed with the same exposure.

As long as your next gig isn't a paid appearance, experiment with different settings and shooting locations. While this forum will significantly reduce the learning curve, half the fun is trying different things to see what works best for you.

Thanks for posting! We all learn a little by these discussions and I guarantee you that there are plenty of budding hockey shooters that are also following this thread with great interest ...

Gary

Jan 12, 2013 at 04:24 PM
Rich Images

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Hockey Photography

Thanks Gary,

Yes, I only shoot RAW. That is why I was able to bump the exposure up. I hope to get a 300mm f/2.8 soon. I am actually going to rent one in a couple weeks and will shoot 6 games in 3 days. Or until my arms fall off. If I love what I see, I will have to find a way to get one. I know it will save on cropping a lot. I am not using noise reduction software, yet. Can you post some Canon hockey 1D-Mark III samples of your work?

As far as the focus point, where do you aim? Seems that the center dot in spot focus does ok, but some of my shots have hands in focus while face is out of focus etc. Maybe my camera is too slow? 5D Mark II

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:18 AM
6kimages

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Hockey Photography

I am a Novice photgrapher,I am heavily engaged with minor hockey and am constantly shooting the sport.In Canada we have Tournaments everywhere and there is always a photographer at these tourneys shootng.Your photos are at least Par with what I see at tourneys from the so called pros. There was a Woman (i believe a member here) shooting one i was at last year and she was a cut above the rest that i have saw.But she was using a a 1D1v with a 300mm 2.8 L (she even let me try out her gear).From what i have found you definately need the gear to be successful shooting hockey , hockey needs to be shot tight as well.Your work on here is quite saleable from what i have have saw at our tourneys .Myself i am gear limited with a t2i and a 100mm 2.8 .But i do get to shoot from the bench (I coach)as stated you could slow u your shutter a some for the younger teams .Hockey is definately the hardest thing i have came accross to shoot stunning(to me) shots

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:15 PM
6kimages

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Hockey Photography

clarence3 wrote:
I think they look good. I'm surprised how well you did with the 5D2 and a 2.8 lens.

Lots of sharp detail in the weave of the sock in #1.
Good face exposure in #3 and #5.

I'd like to see a puck in at least one of the shots, though.

I'm not much of a hockey shooter. I tried a game several years ago, and it was quite challenging. Especially for someone who doesn't follow the sport, it takes a while to follow the puck TTL and predict where it's going.

I tried my 2nd hockey game ever this week. Used a 5D3 and
...Show more
to me these shots are outstanding !

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:18 PM
kris416
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Hockey Photography

Hi Rich,

I too am an amateur at best, but I shoot a lot of hockey, and I don't think you're shots are lacking in quality all that much.
A couple of suggestions are, when possible, shoot from the penalty box or from some extra space in between the players benches or off to the side of them to get closer to the action. This will give you a much better perspective on your shots. Also, watch your horizons (which can be hard shooting hockey with fast action).
Also the younger the players, the less shutter speed you need to freeze the action. For your "out of the camera" shots with that age group I get pretty good results with 1/500. (i shoot nikon d7000, 70-200 2.8 typically at 3.2 and 3200 ISO).

Jan 17, 2013 at 03:29 PM
Rich Images

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Hockey Photography

C and C welcome, A recent Hockey shot from last night. Steve Whitney (in photo) had a hat trick in a 9-3 blowout of Northeastern. Whitney plays for Boston College and is a 2X National Champion, 3X Beanpot Champion, 3X Hockey East Champion.

Settings
F/3.2
ISO 2000
1/800

Jan 20, 2013 at 04:49 PM
sozypozy
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Hockey Photography

In the first set of images there was not a lot of action going on, they were more like portraits. But the sets that came later have a lot of action which is great

Jan 20, 2013 at 09:36 PM
mikekel
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Hockey Photography

Big difference in the college and local rinks lighting.

Back to your original post, couple of tips I was given:
- Check the sharpening setting on your camera picture style
- Use the same picture style setting in LR as the camera
- play around with the contrast setting, try moving it to the left of 0.

Jan 24, 2013 at 05:22 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password