Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2012 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

StillFingerz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

I know the 6D is a good fit for my issues, but aren't there times when the wifi of the 6D would just be kick ass for the non disabled. Chez the 6D brings nothing to the table...really.

A few just pop into my head right away, using TSE's. I've been on a few photo walks and seen folks with there heads next to the ground; wet sand, snow, etc. trying to focus, seems the ability to focus via smartphone or tablet would be a nice feature.

This could extend to macro or close-ups as well it seems, when the subject in question is just out of reach, perhaps a bit dangerous...jumping spiders, snakes, whasps...a hornets nest; I'd approach one of these with my cam on one loooong pole so my arse wasn't even close to piss those badarses off...

I still think the 5D2 is a great buy, at 1200 a steal, if none of the above apply then 5D2 it is. But when someone is as vague as 'landscapes/macro' it's hard to recommend...no...both those subjects have huge variations in content.

There's another 6D thread where just reasons/situations to possibly use wifi are listed, there are several more than just my two examples. I'm not saying wifi is mandatory, but it has it's place, you shouldn't dismiss it because it's new...it might help, only your budget and pain level will determine it's usage/need...heck plenty of people do the same with the 36MP/DR of the D800 vs. the 20MP/DR of Canon's FF bodies.

As for printing, pretty much no difference, one body has a few more MPs, the other slightly better high ISO/DR...it's a toss up here, even the more expensive 5D3 and 1DX have near the same print capabilities...any of these FF cameras would be great to have

This debate could be endless, we all shoot diverse subject matter even within the 'landscape' and 'macro' worlds...only the OP knows what works best for his needs and sometimes 'budget' is the master.

Budget has been my issue for not moving to FF digital...for years.
Jerry

Dec 20, 2012 at 09:24 AM
buggz2k
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

For me, it was 5DMkII right after it came out.
And I STILL love and use it today.

Dec 20, 2012 at 09:49 AM
outlawyer
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

Admittedly the economy has tanked and continues spiraling downward since the 5Dc was first released, but the 6D can't really be considered expensive compared to what the original 5D went for (app.$3K); hell the 6D is less now than what I paid for the 5D 2 years after its initial release.
Yeah there was a considerable amount of R&D expense to recoup with the first 5D, but still IMO Canon should be commended for actually lowering prices on similar bodies over such a long (technologically speaking) period of time. Virtually all other goods' costs have remained static at best, shot up thanks to inflation and energy costs in most cases.
Canon rocks! I'd go with the 5DII!

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:36 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

outlawyer wrote:
Admittedly the economy has tanked and continues spiraling downward since the 5Dc was first released, but the 6D can't really be considered expensive compared to what the original 5D went for (app.$3K); hell the 6D is less now than what I paid for the 5D 2 years after its initial release.
Yeah there was a considerable amount of R&D expense to recoup with the first 5D, but still IMO Canon should be commended for actually lowering prices on similar bodies over such a long (technologically speaking) period of time. Virtually all other goods' costs have remained static at best, shot up
...Show more

All technology prices drop over time. As far as Canon lowering the prices...we can thank Nikon for that.

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:13 AM
Shiva dancing
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

Thank you sincerely, one and all, for the spirited discussion and thoughtful recommendations. I am no closer to a decision today, so I'm going down to a local photo store to shoot several frames on both camera bodies, using both manual and auto focus, to get a better feel for ergonomics and viewfinder use on both bodies.

After reading all your wonderful and informative posts, I am leaning towards patience and awaiting more user feedback on the 6D before making my decision. Even if I don't snap up a new 5DII this week, I can always get a used one in a month or two if I decide on that model over the 6D.

Money is tight, yes, but I am financing this purchase with an ebay sale of a cherished old Winston bamboo fly rod - I may net about $1500 on this sale. I'm not trying to save money for any future lens purchase at the moment - just want to get the best entry-level full frame body for $2000 or less.

Yes, I was guilty of "vaguely" stating that I will use the FF body for "mainly landscape and macro" opportunities - that is what I shoot a lot of in my home turf of Montana. But like any of us, I love to take photos of wherever I travel to, and will want to exploit my new full frame body for a variety of photography. Since 2003, when traveling for work-related field work in India, I have greatly enjoyed street and people photography (think colorful India, think the need to quickly take a picture of people moving about and quickly disappearing, hence a desire for accurate and quick autofocus) with my early point-and-shoot cameras. So perhaps the slightly better autofocus of the 6D would come in handy compared to the 5DII? Am awaiting user reports on real world use in this regard, so perhaps I should be patient for a few more months, instead of jumping on the closeout specials on a new 5dII.

During the past few years, I have started to enjoy cityscapes and external/internal architecture traveling with my T2i/ZE35/70-200 L IS travel combo (think the dark interior of St. Stephen's cathedral in Vienna - no flash photography allowed, no tripod use - it's crowded, but the sights demand that you try to capture some photos!). Perhaps the 6D low light capability would provide an advantage in such a setting?

I keenly appreciate that many of you use the 5DII to create absolutely beautiful photographs with superb IQ, so I am not worried about the 5D in this regard.

I do crawl in the dirt, mud and snow for macro photography to compose pics of spring wildflowers (springtime in Montana has lots of mud and wet ground), and am experiencing aging eyes, so the wifi capability of 6D along with smartphone or tablet use might help for these issues.

Edited on Dec 21, 2012 at 11:18 PM · View previous versions

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:48 AM
NCAndy
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

Hopefully you have other fly rods to use after selling your Winston bamboo. I have and love a Winston 4wt TMF though I don't get to use it as much as I'd like. Have fun with whichever camera you choose. There really isn't a right or wrong.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:21 PM
Shiva dancing
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

Andy, Thanks for the concern (RE fly rods) and encouragement (RE camera body choice). I can't reveal details about my fly rod inventory (my wife might be reading!), but rest assured that the arsenal isn't being completely depleted.

That old TMF from Tom's Winston days is a sweet rod - Tom is a personal friend, and is still designing and making even more wonderful rods under his newer Tom Morgan Rodsmith's business unbrella. Cheers!

Dec 20, 2012 at 01:04 PM
Shiva dancing
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

So, on the one hand, for landscapes and macro, the 5DII would be just fine for manual focus shots. Thanks to all for your recommendations for the 5dII - I'm sure I would be quite happy with it for shooting "only" landscape and macro flowers, and could save $500 or more by choosing it over the 6D. Unfortunately, I choose my wording poorly by originally stating "mainly" landscape and macro, without elaborating on non-landscape/non-macro photography I enjoy when I travel outside of Montana, and for which my choice of a first full frame body is of some importance. Cheers, and thanks again.

Edited on Dec 21, 2012 at 11:16 PM · View previous versions

Dec 20, 2012 at 03:40 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

If low light is a concern, then the 6D will beat the 5D2. The AF center point of the 6D is supposed to work down to -3EV and from first reports seems to do so very well. Just something else to add to the decision tree.

Dec 20, 2012 at 03:57 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

NCAndy wrote:
If low light is a concern, then the 6D will beat the 5D2. The AF center point of the 6D is supposed to work down to -3EV and from first reports seems to do so very well. Just something else to add to the decision tree.

The center AF point does work very well indeed.

The 6D has a bit of a learning curve with the new features, and for some stupid reason Canon no longer packages it's camera's with full instruction manuals. Now they give you a basic instruction manual to read, and bury all the technical stuff, like Custom Settings, in a large Full instruction manual you can read from a PDF file.

I like reading user manuals in a hot tub or bath, or when I'm sitting on a toilet contemplating life, difficult to do with a notebook and impossible with a desktop computer.

Last night proved to be the most challenging for me. For two nights in a row, I shot at a Christmas concert at the local high school. The first night was mostly a breeze but last night I was baffled with a weird anomaly to do with exposure. I'm not sure what the problem was yet - I can only surmise it had something to do with the lens I used last night, a 100-400L IS. I spoiled a dozen shots - but I think it was good old user error .... I forgot to bring my lens hood with me, and I think lights pointing at the seated crowd was causing my camera to misread scenes.

But I'm really enjoying the shots at high ISO up to 12,800. Hard to believe we've come so far in camera technology.

Edited on Dec 20, 2012 at 04:13 PM · View previous versions

Dec 20, 2012 at 04:12 PM
Shiva dancing
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

Thanks Andy, this is the kind of user feedback I am quite interested in. Low light use and pulling details out of the shadows (e.g., for mountain landscapes) in PP is something I would find useful. If the 6D offers significant improvement for lowlight use, then that's a big plus.

Dec 20, 2012 at 04:13 PM
arthurb
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

I bought a 5d mk2 discounted when the mk 3 came out. Love it. Luckily I had not bought any EF-S lenses but had just bought EF lenses as I thought I would upgrade from the 550d.

Dec 20, 2012 at 04:22 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

NCAndy wrote:

You aren't likely to shoot landscape and macro at ultra-high ISO values.

Dec 20, 2012 at 04:35 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

gdanmitchell wrote:

No, but the OP added he likes to shoot low light street images. In that application the 6D would probably work better. Hey, I don't want to talk anyone out of a 5D2, I'll have one for sale soon! lol

Dec 20, 2012 at 04:41 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

gdanmitchell wrote:

Not true.

Hand held macro I am often pushing ISO 800-1600 or more because I need to stop down.

And landscapes, I shoot a good 10-20% of them at night or at low light levels.

Dec 20, 2012 at 04:41 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

RobDickinson wrote:
Not true.

Hand held macro I am often pushing ISO 800-1600 or more because I need to stop down.

At those ISO levels, the 5D2 is no slouch. I still maintain you would not notice any difference in landscape or macro photos from the two cameras. The big difference would be the price which is about $900.

Dec 20, 2012 at 05:12 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

RobDickinson wrote:
Not true.

5D2 works great at 800 and 1600. I've been shooting it regularly at those ISOs recently while working on a project photographing musicians. I can even get fine results at 3200.

I almost always shoot landscape at 100, though I switch to 200 if i need to and the IQ is effectively the same. There is a tiny bit more noise at 400, though a touch of NR (perhaps 10-15 in ACR, applied with a mask on sharpening) fixes it. I often shoot at 800 when photographing certain types of wildlife and occasionally go higher.

Dan

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:27 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

That is all correct and I love my 5D II. Best needs fitting tool I ever got to shoot.
But I shoot events. And I prefere not to use flashes. In many cases I use ISO 3200 and it works fine. In some cases I have to go higher and depending on the motive PP can become a horrible job and many shots go to the trash box.
I wished so many times to be able to use ISO 12.800. I tried a couple. The pics may be usable sized down to internet resolution. This is the main point, why I wish to upgrade. Over 6400 the 5D II AF gets useless in my experience, too. And even higher I am not really able to focus manually in time a shot gives me.

6D looks to take care for this circumstances. 5D III looks like this, too.

Ralph

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

Ralph Conway wrote:
That is all correct and I love my 5D II. Best needs fitting tool I ever got to shoot.
But I shoot events. And I prefere not to use flashes. In many cases I use ISO 3200 and it works fine. In some cases I have to go higher and depending on the motive PP can become a horrible job and many shots go to the trash box.
I wished so many times to be able to use ISO 12.800. I tried a couple. The pics may be usable sized down to internet resolution. This is the main point, why
...Show more

I went to two Christmas concerts the last two nights. The first night I swapped between a 24-105 f/4 IS, a 70-200 f/2.8 IS and a 17-40 f/4.

The second night I put my 100-400L IS on the cam and never took it off.

I am Über impressed with the 6D.

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:43 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

So now you sound like a fanboy, too.

Dec 21, 2012 at 01:39 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.