Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2012 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

Shiva dancing
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

With the new entry level FF bodies appearing on the market, and the close-out pricing on the 5DII, I'm about to take the plunge. I have been shooting the T2i for the past few years, and will continue using this for birding and traveling light, despite auto-focus not being the best. I would be using the FF for mainly landscape and macro. So, my choices are the 5DII for around $1500-$1600 new, vs the 6D at around $2000-2100. Your thoughts and recommendations RE this choice are appreciated.

Edited on Dec 19, 2012 at 05:25 PM · View previous versions

Dec 19, 2012 at 05:06 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

6D -- better IQ and high ISO, plus the cool WiFi/tablet/phone controller.

Dec 19, 2012 at 05:11 PM
convergent
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

I don't believe the 6D will give you any better images for your stated purpose, so you need to decide if you prefer the smaller sized body and gadgets (wifi and gps) for the additional money. The GPS may have some value in landscape shooting. But not sure its worth the price difference. I think I'd go the 5D2 route because I don't care for the smaller consumer sized bodies.

Dec 19, 2012 at 05:18 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

Pick up a used 5D2 for $1200 and get a nice landscape lens with the money you would save ( $900 ) over the 6D. I highly doubt you'll notice any difference in landscape or macro photos between the two cameras.

Dec 19, 2012 at 05:46 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

Used 5dc is a pretty darn good choice. I am seeing them hovering around $500-$600.

Dec 19, 2012 at 05:47 PM
bvphotos
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

I would start with the 5Dc. Cheap, excellent body. My only beef with it was AF on outer points.

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:56 PM
JesseShotland
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

I used to have a 5Dc and I loved the thing. outdated? Sure, but so is film (or is it? is the 5Dc?)

The 5Dc coud have better low light capabilities, but it's a damn fine camera, and great 1st FF.

Dec 19, 2012 at 07:13 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

Shiva dancing wrote:
With the new entry level FF bodies appearing on the market, and the close-out pricing on the 5DII, I'm about to take the plunge. I have been shooting the T2i for the past few years, and will continue using this for birding and traveling light, despite auto-focus not being the best. I would be using the FF for mainly landscape and macro. So, my choices are the 5DII for around $1500-$1600 new, vs the 6D at around $2000-2100. Your thoughts and recommendations RE this choice are appreciated.

The 5DII close-out is a really great deal, especially for folks who shoot the subjects you shoot. It has essentially the same image quality in any practical examination of actual photographs produced with the cameras, and it has the large majority of the features that have been added to full frame cameras more recent that the original 5D: live view, improved AF, better high ISO performance, video, and more. (Quite a few of these probably don't matter to you...)

The 6D does offer some features that are not in the 5D2, but in practical terms are they worth the extra cost to you for the sorts of photography you do? I doubt it.

I would generally recommend against starting with the original 5D, though with some exceptions. If you compare the model-to-model changes among the 5-series (and let's include the 6D here, too) camera, the greatest change by far took place between the 5D and the 5D2, with much smaller incremental changes between the 5D2 and later models. The 5D2 added live view, video, greater photo site density (21MP instead of 12MP), a very functional and useful dust reduction system, video, better high ISO performance.

The exceptions? If you are very cost constrained and need FF and cannot afford the price of the 5D2, then the 5D is as good now as it was when it was introduced way back when. Understand that you'll likely be getting a camera that is a bit further along in its lifespan, both as a model and as an individual unit that you purchase, and that there are some things that it cannot do. Also, be ready to learn to clean that sensor yourself - you'll be doing it frequently. :-)

Dan,

who shoots a 5D2, decided to forego the upgrade to the 5D3, and still has a 5D as a second/backup camera.)

Edited on Dec 19, 2012 at 07:29 PM · View previous versions

Dec 19, 2012 at 07:25 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

There are 3 major advances in the 5D2 from the 5Dc that are very beneficial for landscape photography:

1. More pixels resulting in finer details.
2. LiveView...especially for all those wonderful manual focus lens.
3. Sensor cleaning. 5DC is a major pain in this regard.

To me, those are worth the extra $600 for a 5D2 over a 5DC.

Dec 19, 2012 at 07:25 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

There are huge differences between the 5Dc and the 5D2 in terms of handling and high ISO performance.

The 5Dc sensor picks up dust bunnies like there's no tomorrow.

But after playing with a 6D for a couple of days, I can highly recommend it.

Dec 19, 2012 at 07:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Shiva dancing
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies. I am still leaning towards a new body, so could either snatch up a 5DII now at $1599 on B&H (includes a CF card) or wait a few more months to see if the 6D drops a few hundred in price. I am somewhat cash constrained, so the savings would be meaningful. I have two manual focus lenses (ZE 35 f2 & a C/Y 28 f2.8) to get me started in moderate WA use in FF, so don't anticipate picking up a wider angle lens for a while. I do want to nail down this new body before April (for macro photography of wild flowers), so I can play the waiting game for a few more months on a possible 6D price drop. Thanks again!

Dec 19, 2012 at 07:43 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

Keep in mind too that the 6D has lower noise throughout the ISO range, and more accurate AF than the 5D2. I consider the 5D2 (and 1Ds3) to be a stopgap body at this time, good if you are planning to update again within the next year or so, not so good if you are planning to keep the body for 3 years or more.

Dec 19, 2012 at 08:21 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

Canon has the 5DII Refurb for $1,407.36 plus tax and shipping, on their internet site. It comes with a Canon 90 day warrantee. I bought a refurb 5DII for my son a year or so back and it was in new condition.

Dec 19, 2012 at 08:24 PM
Shiva dancing
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

Thanks Jim - good thoughts to consider on the lower noise, plus my aging eyes could use the more accurate AF for general use when a quick snap is needed. This purchase will have to last me for at least a few years, so perhaps best to wait for a few months and see if 6D prices settle down a bit. Cheers!

Dec 19, 2012 at 08:26 PM
Shiva dancing
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

Thanks Steven - I generally don't mind buying used (have bought two great lenses this way) or refurb. The $1599 closeout price for a new 5DII (including a CF card) posted on B&H yesterday got me excited about taking the plunge now. On the other hand, an updated 6D is attractive - would be nice to see more user feedback here on FM to see how happy folks are with this newer model. Cheers!

Dec 19, 2012 at 08:31 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

There are plenty of good low mileage 5D2 bodies to be had on B&S. I'm sending mine in to Canon for a cleanup and then plan to list it. I think going the used 5D2 route is the better cost effective way to go. You might find it does what you want and it will serve you for several years. You can just about buy a used 5D2 and a 100 2.8IS for a new 6D.

Dec 19, 2012 at 08:33 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

I own a 5d2 and have a loaner 6d at the moment, but only for a couple of days so far.

If I had to pick one , now , I think I would side on the 6d, better overall IQ and modern features and better AF.

Only downside for me (I dont use 1/8000th or pc synch etc) is the lower spec ergonomics specifically the joystick for af points but saying that your nuts if you select any other pint on the 5d2 than the centre...

Dec 19, 2012 at 08:34 PM
Shiva dancing
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

Thanks Andy. What do you think the sweet spot for a used 5DII would be right now? I have the 100 L, so my macro lens is already covered. Just in the market for my first FF body at the moment. Thanks.

Dec 19, 2012 at 08:39 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

I am considering the 6D as a replacement for my 1DS-mk3. The 5D2 is not in the running. It does have better live view than my 1DS-mk3 but otherwise nothing else. I think the overall image quality is a small step back from the 1DS-mk3.

The 5D3 is also not in the running, too expensive for 1 more mpix. And if the 6D has good center point AF and good live view, I need no other features of the 5d-mk3. I mostly use center point AF on the 1DS-mk3 anyway. All those other AF points have not been useful to me.

But the 6d has greatly improved live view and better High iso and should be a great star camera.

Why change? Economics. I could probably sell the 1DS-mk3 for more than I pay for a 6D. I get an updated live view and high iso at the cost of 1 mpixel and long battery life.

Big gamble however. The 1DS-mk3 is one great camera. I would probably keep it.

Dec 19, 2012 at 08:45 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Recommendation for 1st full-frame body?

Gunzorro wrote:
Keep in mind too that the 6D has lower noise throughout the ISO range, and more accurate AF than the 5D2. I consider the 5D2 (and 1Ds3) to be a stopgap body at this time, good if you are planning to update again within the next year or so, not so good if you are planning to keep the body for 3 years or more.

Why is that. For landscape and macro, what do the new cameras have going for them and more to the point, how will you be able to take better photos with them?

Dec 19, 2012 at 08:47 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password