Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Trying to light some cheese...

StowePhoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Trying to light some cheese...

I am shooting some goat cheeses for a friend who runs a small farm and cheese making operation. For equipment I currently have two light stands, three 580 ex ii's, a pair of shoot through umbrellas, a softbox and a circular reflector. I will trigger using Radio Poppers. I'd like to set a scene on a table cloth covered table, set the cheese or cheeses up on a cutting board and fill in some other props such as a few crackers, a slicer, and maybe a bottle of wine.

My question is, using the lighting equipment I have, what is the best combination and placements? The shoot is taking place after it is dark, so available light is not an option.

Dec 19, 2012 at 02:42 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Trying to light some cheese...

The scene that you have described ... sounds to me like classic still life, with natural light coming through a single window that you are trying to emulate/replicate.

I might just go with the single softbox for lighting your scene to control the direction of your shadows and the falloff in the scene. Then, use the shoot through(s) (which I'd likely kick/bounce for omnidirection) for your fill to further reduce the contrast of your shadows if they are too contrasty for your taste with only the SB.

Be aware that you may pick up some cast off the walls with your shoot through, so that might influence your placement. If the walls are slightly warm colored, it could add some ambiance.

Dec 19, 2012 at 03:00 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password