Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · When/how to call off job?

ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · When/how to call off job?

I'm currently bed bound with flu like symptoms. Wedding end of next week. I'm unsure when this will pass... But feel horrific & can't possibly work like this.

It might pass in a couple of days... How am I to know...

Anyone been in a similar situation? What to do?

P.s. took me ages to write this. not good looking at scrrens..

Dec 19, 2012 at 01:38 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · When/how to call off job?

I'd tell the couple your situation and let them know you have a backup photog would would cover for you. That would let them know a head of time and give them peace of mind.

Last year I sprained my knee 3 weeks before a wedding. Bride saw my post on Facebook before I had a chance to call her and let her know. I went ahead and hired a 2nd shooter on my own dime to cover for me in case I wasn't able to handle all 3 days. They were really cool, I was able to handle everything, and they were happy I had things covered "just in case". Though the grooms parents were worried when I showed up to the rehersal a few days before the wedding on crutches

Dec 19, 2012 at 01:42 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · When/how to call off job?

Hi Scott. Since I've always worked alone I have no second to call upon. My contract states that I'll search for a replacement & return all fees minus expenses. I think telling her I might be out & haven't yet sourced a replacement might be bad. Hence stuck in grey area.

Dec 19, 2012 at 02:05 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · When/how to call off job?

There is nothing to discuss. Find a source right now! Get ready to return all fees (per your contract).

However, *I* would make myself feel better and do the job. The only way I would not is if I am hospitalized. Though I would still make contact with a backup or at the very least find a competent second shooter (of course with no extra fee to the client). With a second shooter on board I would also contact the client and let them know the situation because the day of the wedding you may not be as out going and directive as expected.

Wishing you to get well soon!!

Peace,
Cordell

Dec 19, 2012 at 02:25 PM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · When/how to call off job?

I shot a wedding with the flu. It wasn't even a question if I would go or not. I pretty much have the mind set that unless I am hospitalized, throwing up or unable to walk, I am going.

You'd be surprised how much better you feel if you have distraction and a bit of adrenaline running through you. Maybe secure a replacement to come in for the reception just in case?

Also, always have a few back up people you can call on. I sometimes get asked during consults who my back up is, and it's nice being able to spit out a few names :-)

Hope you feel better!

Dec 19, 2012 at 02:32 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · When/how to call off job?

Hi Rich, first off sorry to hear you're feeling rough. Not fun.

I experienced something very similar at the start of the season. Was drastically unwell the week before a wedding and was sure I wasn't going to be able to do it. I dragged myself to their rehearsal, sweated my way through the whole thing, nearly vomited twice and then explained face to face at the end of it that I may not be able to shoot tomorrow. They were understandably concerned but I also explained that I had lined up a replacement.

In the end I woke up the following day feeling much more stable and I did the job myself. It was hell, but I made it.

Here's what to do. Get on twitter, facebook and speak to any local photographers you rate who might be able to help. Put the call out now and see if you can line anyone up. Agree to pay that photographer your fees (or whatever it states in your contract). Then, once you've lined that up, speak to your clients and explain the position. Reassure them that their wedding WILL get shot, and shot properly. Also reassure them that if there is anyway you can make it through the day you will, but it's important to you that they have a proper photographer and if you can't do your job properly it'd be better for them that replacement X stands in. Explain that they are ready and waiting and that they have nothing to worry about. Other than a different face behind the camera, from their POV things will change as little as necessary. Then see how you feel on the day and be ready to go if you're feeling passable.

If you can't line up someone else, then in a imperfect situation stick to your contract and be ready to return the fees.

Finally when and where is the wedding?

Dec 19, 2012 at 02:37 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · When/how to call off job?

ricardovaste wrote:
I'm currently bed bound with flu like symptoms. Wedding end of next week. I'm unsure when this will pass... But feel horrific & can't possibly work like this.

It might pass in a couple of days... How am I to know...

Anyone been in a similar situation? What to do?

P.s. took me ages to write this. not good looking at scrrens..

Dude, you have like 10 days. You'll be fine by then.

Dec 19, 2012 at 05:29 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · When/how to call off job?

^^ Yeah that's what I was thinking, but I wonder if he really meant THIS saturday?

So far I've been extremely fortunate and haven't fallen ill the day of a wedding. The closest I've come was a severe headache after a ceremony where I was staring towards the sun basically the entire time, when the reception started and the bass was pumping, I had to go outside after the toasts/first dances, and luckily was able to get my hands on some Advil. Nothing worse than staring through a viewfinder while your eyeballs are throbbing.

If it does happen, the best you can do is call everyone you know to see who could step in to help. I'd still try to shoot myself, with my backup there in case I am about to lose it. If I had a second shooter already I'd get a 3rd.

Dec 19, 2012 at 05:37 PM
awad
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · When/how to call off job?

hire a second that's competent enough to carry the day if need be. bailing because you have the flu 10 days before their wedding would not go well.

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:20 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · When/how to call off job?

10 days. Pffffffffft. Med-up.

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bwield
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · When/how to call off job?

I had what I thought was a bad flu for a week or so. Even after running tests at the hospital the conclusion was flu.

By the Wednesday before the wedding I made the call that I could not risk it. On Thursday I spoke to the couple and let them know that I had arranged for another photographer to take the job. They were a little shaken, but I did by best to reassure them that it was in their best interest.

In the end it was the right call - I had a blood infection and was on IV antibiotics for 14 days. Shot a wedding the next weekend while hooked to an IV lol

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:35 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · When/how to call off job?

Inku wrote:

Or dead. Especially if the Mayans have anything to say about it. Seriously, who schedules a wedding for AFTER the end of the world?

Dec 19, 2012 at 09:49 PM
Joshua Gull
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · When/how to call off job?

Inku Yo wrote:

This. But source someone to cover you right now just in case you get worse. But basically the only way I'm not showing is if it's not an emergency room admittable condition (and even in some cases even if it is). If you're still feeling bad by then but up to the task then get a second shooter at no cost to them to help you along.

Dec 19, 2012 at 09:58 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · When/how to call off job?

Line up someone to stand by to cover you if need be. Don't let the client see you sweat, this is not her problem. Your illness will probably pass in time but at the eleventh hour, if you need to, then make the call.

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:00 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · When/how to call off job?

I think you likely will be feeling much better by then, start taking some medicines, see a doctor, whatever you got to do to feel better. I was in your shoes a few weeks back and I was quite ill for a day or two, got some medicine, made myself feel better, didn't miss any work or appointments and I had a lot going on earlier this month. Like others have said, I started working towards having competent backup people on speed dial in case I needed to call on them in an emergency and I continually look for people to add to my list because you honestly never know when you might need someone to step in for you. I hope you get to feeling a lot better soon

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:23 PM
Chris Beaumont
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · When/how to call off job?

Hey Rich,

If you can't make it, give me a call, I'd be happy to cover it if you pay my travel expenses and promise to do the same if/when the same ever happens to me!!!

It's my ultimate nightmare scenario.

Get well soon mate.

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:36 PM
mccallmedia
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · When/how to call off job?

Start taking airborne. Last time I got the flu I took that stuff and was over it in a few days.

Dec 20, 2012 at 03:51 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · When/how to call off job?

I've never heard of a normal flu lasting 10 days. You'll be fine.

Dec 20, 2012 at 04:39 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · When/how to call off job?

Chris Beaumont wrote:
Hey Rich,

If you can't make it, give me a call, I'd be happy to cover it if you pay my travel expenses and promise to do the same if/when the same ever happens to me!!!

It's my ultimate nightmare scenario.

Get well soon mate.

This is awesome.

Dec 20, 2012 at 04:40 AM
MBMK
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · When/how to call off job?

Tony Hoffer wrote:
I've never heard of a normal flu lasting 10 days. You'll be fine.

Actually, a normal flu lasts 7-14 days. It's the fever that won't last for 10 days.

OP if you have a fever, you most likely are in the beggining stage of your flu. Take airborne as directed and take either tylenol or advil, whichever works for your body. Your fever should go away within a few days, well before the wedding. The flu itself will still be in your body.

For the record, I had the flu on the exact same week, both in 2011 and 2012 (sept) and both times I had 2 weddings. Bot year, I shot the weddings w/ 102 fever. It was a pain but I survived.

Dec 20, 2012 at 06:38 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password