New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Five Nutcracker pics

friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Five Nutcracker pics

This is the Ballet Chicago Nutcracker. Just a few shots, not a lot of time to do much editing of these just yet.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8359/8287308638_9a1fae6351_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8218/8287307146_505711d37f_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8359/8286248437_6519a5e34e_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8072/8286247799_17f39de7a3_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8497/8287307818_d3c2acf744_c.jpg

Dec 19, 2012 at 04:06 AM
ct8282
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Five Nutcracker pics

4.... WIN. Stunning work mate.

Dec 19, 2012 at 04:15 AM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Five Nutcracker pics

Always love seeing your dance shots, Ron!

Agree with ct8282, 4 FTW.

Kevin

Dec 19, 2012 at 05:37 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Five Nutcracker pics

Thanks, Chris and Kevin! No. 4 was by far my favorite as well!

Dec 19, 2012 at 09:59 AM
airjrdn

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Five Nutcracker pics

The pics are great, but EXIF data would be nice too. ;-)

Anytime you are able to produce photos like these in questionable lighting, it's helpful to the less experienced to be able to see what equipment and settings were used.

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:49 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Five Nutcracker pics

Wonderful work Ron!
Douglas

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:54 AM
CanonG565

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Five Nutcracker pics

Beautiful shots. Thanks for sharing

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:02 AM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Five Nutcracker pics

Howdy Ron,

I enjoy seeing dance photos, and I enjoy seeing your dance photos posted here.

Nice photos.

Good job!

My following questions are asked in a truly friendly tone of voice and are simply a few questions sparked by curiosity, after seeing these photos and thinking about "ballet" as a photo specialty.

I would ask the same if we were sitting together in person, and it would be in a similar friendly curious way.

I am asking here now because I imagine the answers will be interesting to read by others here too, as other photographers post dance photos occasionally and dancers dancing do make nice subjects.

Over the last few years you have posted many dance photos, and from what I remember, from different places (Chicago, Texas, somewhere out West). So, it is obviously something you do on a long term basis and have done so in several places.

Please tell us something about the photography and the reason for it. For example, was this for the annual Nutcracker poster or program photo or something like that?

Since you are a professional photographer, I think the following would be interesting to many here too.

Does the ballet or ballet companies pay you full commercial rates to do this photography (as an assignment or job or contract) or do you do the photography for free (pro bono, a favor for a friend, or family members in the company) or do you do this as speculative work (hoping to sell them something)?

Are you the "official photographer" for this ballet, or are there other photographers shooting at the same time (e.g. press, parents, staff)?

Are these photo ops open to the public for others to also take pictures? Such as parents or press or others?

Again, these are just sincere questions based on my curiosity about this type of work done by others, and I would ask the same types of questions if someone were photographing some other photography specialty area (such as military hardware in action or auto racing etc.).

Happy holidays!

Steady

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:04 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Five Nutcracker pics

Great shots, Ron (as usual). I'm just finishing up my Nutcracker work for this year. Much smaller venue, with local studio kids (still very dedicated and talented).

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:58 PM
BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Five Nutcracker pics

WOW, nice job Ron!!!!
Bob

Dec 19, 2012 at 03:02 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Five Nutcracker pics

airjrdn wrote:
The pics are great, but EXIF data would be nice too. ;-)

Anytime you are able to produce photos like these in questionable lighting, it's helpful to the less experienced to be able to see what equipment and settings were used.

Thanks! Didn't mean to cut out the exif data, I'll have to check my process to see where it's stripped. These shots were all shot in the vicinity of ISO 1250/1600, 1/400 or 1/500, f/4.5. Really nice up-bright stage ligthting for these shots, allowed me a fast shutter speed and still some DOF. Shot with a D4 and all but No. 4 were shot with my 70-200. No. 4 was shot with my 24-70.

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:23 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Five Nutcracker pics

douter wrote:
Wonderful work Ron!
Douglas

Thanks, Douglas!

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:23 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Five Nutcracker pics

CanonG565 wrote:
Beautiful shots. Thanks for sharing

Thanks!

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:24 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Five Nutcracker pics

Steve Wylie wrote:
Great shots, Ron (as usual). I'm just finishing up my Nutcracker work for this year. Much smaller venue, with local studio kids (still very dedicated and talented).

Steve, thanks! This is just a dance school, albeit probably the premiere dance school in Chicago. The only professional dancer is the guy in 1 and 5. Always looking forward to seeing your dance shots.

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:25 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Five Nutcracker pics

Steady Hand wrote:
Howdy Ron,
I enjoy seeing dance photos, and I enjoy seeing your dance photos posted here.
Nice photos.
Good job!

Please tell us something about the photography and the reason for it. For example, was this for the annual Nutcracker poster or program photo or something like that?

Does the ballet or ballet companies pay you full commercial rates to do this photography (as an assignment or job or contract) or do you do the photography for free (pro bono, a favor for a friend, or family members in the company) or do you do this as speculative
...Show more

Hi Steady, I appreciate your comments and questions. Yes, I've been shooting ballet the last 4-5 years, started here in Chicago, then shot the Houston Ballet for a couple years, then to MA and more ballet companies and dancers, and back full-circle to Chicago. Along the way, I've done an art gallery show for my urban portrait series, and been published a couple times, including Dance Magazine.

It's very difficult to become the official photographer for the premiere professional dance companies. It's a very small circle that I'm trying to crack into, and it takes time, perseverance and obviously a little bit of talent. You have to know people. I've had a meeting this year with Chicago's No. 2 professional dance company, Hubbard Street, but their regular guy came back into the picture and my opportunity to slip in slipped away.

Ballet Chicago is probably the premiere dance school in Chicago. Since they're not professional, however, their marketing budget is pretty small and thus I'm not paid. I'm using them to get into the professional dance companies around me in the Chicago area, part of my bigger plan. I am their official photographer and I have a pretty nice credit on the main page of their website. I do their brochure and poster shots, but this was just performance shots from their rehearsal of the Nutcracker. I'm not trying to sell them anything ,but rather build my portfolio with beautiful marketing shots. No other photographers are allowed to shoot with me, so it's not open to the public -- but I have occasionally brought in some photographers with me who wanted the experience.

Thanks for your questions. It's always nice when someone takes an interest in something you're doing.

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:37 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Five Nutcracker pics

BobnJake wrote:
WOW, nice job Ron!!!!
Bob

Thanks, Bob!

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:38 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Five Nutcracker pics

Hi again,
Thanks for adding the answers to my earlier questions. I found them interesting to read too. I hope others here do as well.

Good luck on your continued dance work. And keep posting them too, as I enjoy seeing them.

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:45 PM
David-D
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Five Nutcracker pics

All wonderful captures. Sounds like a tough area of photography to get in for paid jobs based on what you have mentioned in your last post.

Dec 19, 2012 at 07:04 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Five Nutcracker pics

Thanks again, Steady.

Thanks, David. I don't want it to appear that I don't get paid for my dance photography, just not with Ballet Chicago. Over the years, I've done costume portraits and sold dress rehearsal performance shots to parents at quite a number of dance schools. I've made some decent money with the local dance schools, and it's also led to senior portraits, family portraits, and weddings. With Ballet Chicago, the payoff for me is getting to do their marketing shots, which is what has been lacking in my portfolio.

Dec 19, 2012 at 07:10 PM
jhobgood
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Five Nutcracker pics

Wonderful. I hope you get opportunity that you desire. Your work is fantastic.

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:45 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.