Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Gear for Burma (Myanmar)??

dallvr
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gear for Burma (Myanmar)??

I'm headed for Burma in less than two weeks. Itinerary includes Yangon, Bagan, brief Irrawaddy cruise, Mandalay, Inle lake, Kengtung for hill tribes. My plan is to take the Canon 1D Mark IV, 7D, 16-35, 24-105, 70-200, plus an Olympus E-P3 with 17mm. Does anyone who has visited Burma have any recommendations as to whether I should take my 100-400 in addition or leave at home one of the lenses that I was planning to take? We are pretty limited as to the baggage we can take due to restrictions on the in-country flights, so if there is a lens that I really wouldn't be using much, I'd like to leave it at home. Thanks in advance for your help.

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:53 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gear for Burma (Myanmar)??

Wow, you are taking that lot and a backpack for clothes
I am going to Thailand in a few weeks and have decided to go as light as possible - its humid over there, so I really don't want to be carrying masses of weight on my shoulders.
Therefore, hand luggage gives me a 35l 8kg rucksack limit. That will be enough for travelling with in that heat. Unfortunately that means not taking my Nikon kit with me - it weighs enough carrying it around in this country. Instead, I am taking a micro 4/3rds camera with a couple of lenses, and a small tripod.

Dec 19, 2012 at 01:17 PM
dallvr
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gear for Burma (Myanmar)??

You've identified the dilemma perfectly. The camera gear might well weigh more than the clothes. I'm likely to leave the 70-200 at home but if so I'll be uneasy about missing some shots that it would be perfect for. I really want to have 2 bodies in case something goes wrong with one of them and to minimize lens changes.

Dec 19, 2012 at 01:26 PM
azngigolo64
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gear for Burma (Myanmar)??

I am actually thinking about doing a Burma trip myself to the same places in late Feb 2013. How did you book your flights and hotels? Booking domestic flights in Burma is a big pain in the a**, do you have any suggestions? Are you having the hotel book the domestic flights for you? Thanks!

Dec 19, 2012 at 01:34 PM
dallvr
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gear for Burma (Myanmar)??

Hi azngigolo64,

We booked everything-hotels, guide, internal flights- through Geographic Expeditions months ago. Burma's tourism is booming and we wanted to get there before it became as crowded with tourists as Thailand. November through February is peak season, so book ASAP. I can highly recommend GeoEx. We dealt with Sara Barbieri.

Dec 19, 2012 at 01:41 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gear for Burma (Myanmar)??

These same questions come up often and the answer is always the same. "What are you going to shoot?" What are your styles? What's your approach? Do you hike long or drive around? Without any important info from you, answering is impossible.

Dec 19, 2012 at 05:54 PM
didierv
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gear for Burma (Myanmar)??

Was there in 2007.
Leave the 100-400 home.
The other 3 zooms you'll need
If you already have 2 DSLR, why an EP-3 ?
You will have a fantastic trip !
Didier

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:16 PM
azngigolo64
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gear for Burma (Myanmar)??

Thanks Dallyr.

My coworker and I are thinking about packing a Canon 70-200 f2.8 II, a 24-105 f4 (I might swap that for a Zeiss ZE 50 1.4), and he will be bringing a 16-35 f2.8 and I will be borrowing a 35 f1.4. I don't think we will bring anything more than 200, I just don't see the need for it.

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:19 PM
dallvr
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gear for Burma (Myanmar)??

didierv, thanks for the tip on the 100-400, I will leave it home. And maybe the EP-3 as well. I usually take that when I am at a place where the dslrs would be too bulky or conspicuous. azngigolo64, the gear you are bringing is pretty much what I will be bringing. I have the 35 prime, but usually leave it home when I travel, in favor of the versatility of the 16-35. Jeffrey, your question assumes that I already know what I am going to shoot, how big it is and how far away it will be. But that is what I am asking for from people who might have visited there before. That is why didierv's advice is so valuable.

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:31 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Gear for Burma (Myanmar)??

Make sure you have some anti malaria tabs with you. Burma is a Malarial area

Dec 20, 2012 at 08:44 AM
didierv
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Gear for Burma (Myanmar)??

dallvr wrote:
didierv, thanks for the tip on the 100-400, I will leave it home. And maybe the EP-3 as well. I usually take that when I am at a place where the dslrs would be too bulky or conspicuous. azngigolo64, the gear you are bringing is pretty much what I will be bringing. I have the 35 prime, but usually leave it home when I travel, in favor of the versatility of the 16-35. Jeffrey, your question assumes that I already know what I am going to shoot, how big it is and how far away it will be. But that
...Show more

Actually if you have a fast 35 mm prime (1.4 may be) I would take that.
Personally I always take one with me.
It is great for some portrait with with shallow DOF, and more important, you will need it inside the dark temples !
Didier

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:13 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Gear for Burma (Myanmar)??

Jeffrey, your question assumes that I already know what I am going to shoot, how big it is and how far away it will be. But that is what I am asking for from people who might have visited there before. That is why didierv's advice is so valuable.

So you're saying that (1) you don't know what there is to photograph there, and (2) also how to photograph whatever the answer to #1 is.

Fair enough.

Dec 20, 2012 at 05:25 PM
dallvr
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Gear for Burma (Myanmar)??

Thanks, got malaria prevention covered. Hope the mosquitos aren't too bad, I'm allergic to their bites. Only good mosquito is a dead one in my opinion.

Dec 20, 2012 at 08:32 PM
dallvr
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Gear for Burma (Myanmar)??

I think I will take the fast 35 for low light, thanks for suggesting it as part of the kit.

Dec 20, 2012 at 08:33 PM
Rags Hef
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Gear for Burma (Myanmar)??

dallvr wrote:
You've identified the dilemma perfectly. The camera gear might well weigh more than the clothes. I'm likely to leave the 70-200 at home but if so I'll be uneasy about missing some shots that it would be perfect for. I really want to have 2 bodies in case something goes wrong with one of them and to minimize lens changes.

2 bodies are a good idea.

If you're taking some hops via local planes, you might consider a photo vest. Intl pro shooters take em cause the smaller planes have baggage limits but no butt limits (they don't weigh you.)

I'm going to India & Nepal in Feb & taking a D700 & 300S (backup)24-70. 70/200 w 2x TC and 85 1.8 for inside buildings. I'll carry in a Thinktank 20 retro (one cam + lens of the day leg).

I'll spend a day before departure to shoot some street in NYC.

Good luck on your trip, be safe & watch the food prep.

Rags

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:51 PM
dallvr
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Gear for Burma (Myanmar)??

Rags, I'm splitting my gear into 2 Retrospect 30 bags, which should fit in the smaller planes. One body + 2 lenses in each bag (there are two of us, so we can each take one bag in the planes). The vest is a good idea.

India is wonderful, though if you haven't been there before, it takes a little getting used to. We went to Nepal a LONG time ago, not sure how it is now, but it was great and exotic then. In both India and Nepal I was blown away by the intense color everywhere.

Dec 21, 2012 at 01:28 AM
sozypozy
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Gear for Burma (Myanmar)??

I would suggest you take your lens and leave your olympus behind! You already have a 16-35!

Edited on Jan 06, 2013 at 02:15 AM · View previous versions

Jan 05, 2013 at 05:30 PM
Steven W

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Gear for Burma (Myanmar)??

I have not been to Burma, but have been to Cambodia and Vietnam. You zooms are good, but I suggest a F/1.4 or 1.8 in the 30-50mm range instead of the Olympus. For evening street shots and inside some places it is very useful. Personally, I found a small (can be short) light weight tripod very useful also. YMMV. Have a great trip!

Jan 06, 2013 at 12:43 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.