Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Friend Switching From Nikon - Help w/ Canon Equivalents?

Lance Couture
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Friend Switching From Nikon - Help w/ Canon Equivalents?

Hi Gang,

A colleague at work is switching from Nikon to Canon after 25 years. I'm not going to bore you with the details, so I just need to know the Canon equivalents to the following bodies:

Nikon D600

Nikon D700

I know *nothing* about Nikon, and would like to be able to advise him accordingly, since he has asked for my help.

Cheers!

- Lance

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:15 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Friend Switching From Nikon - Help w/ Canon Equivalents?

Not quite a true equive as specs vary (the D700 is over the equive 5D2 in terms of AF etc) but a close equive to those would be the 5D3 or the 6D

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:18 PM
Lance Couture
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Friend Switching From Nikon - Help w/ Canon Equivalents?

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Not quite a true equive as specs vary (the D700 is over the equive 5D2 in terms of AF etc) but a close equive to those would be the 5D3 or the 6D

So a 5D2/6D combo would be roughly equivalent in terms of cost neutrality?

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:21 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Friend Switching From Nikon - Help w/ Canon Equivalents?

I would say 5D Mark III would be the body for your colleague, especially now that the price has come down by quite a bit.

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:22 PM
Lance Couture
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Friend Switching From Nikon - Help w/ Canon Equivalents?

AGeoJO wrote:
I would say 5D Mark III would be the body for your colleague, especially now that the price has come down by quite a bit.

He wants two bodies, and 2 x 5D3 is too much, I believe...

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:26 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Friend Switching From Nikon - Help w/ Canon Equivalents?

Lance -- Yes, for cost neutrality, that is a good combo. He's coming out ahead on IQ on the 5D2 (21MP + video) over the D700 (12MP + better AF), and a near a break-even on the D600/6D.

I agree with Joshua, the 5D3 is quite better than the 5D2. But with a 6D, he won't feel outclassed if he gets the 5D2 (I'm using Joshua's old 5D2!).

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:28 PM
fraga
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Friend Switching From Nikon - Help w/ Canon Equivalents?

The equivalent to the D600 is the 6D.
Regarding the D700, it's somewhat harder to find an equivalent. It has a much better AF than the 5DII, but the 5DII is 21mp.
If you want better AF, you have to choose the 5DMIII, but it's MUCH more expensive.
So no true equivalent for the D700.

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:31 PM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Friend Switching From Nikon - Help w/ Canon Equivalents?

What is he shooting? Depending on af needs 2x6d may be adequate. If doing events maybe a 5diii plus a used 5dii as backup.

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:35 PM
Lance Couture
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Friend Switching From Nikon - Help w/ Canon Equivalents?

Great guys.

Thanks for the help!

- Lance

AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Friend Switching From Nikon - Help w/ Canon Equivalents?

Two of exactly same bodies for easy switching back and forth is really ideal. Set both up identically and you mount two different lenses on them. You don't even have to think differently if you have two identical bodies. But I understand that it could be too much...

Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Friend Switching From Nikon - Help w/ Canon Equivalents?

Or a 5D3 and 7D (MK2 if he can wait), the crop giving lenses reach and higher fps when needed.

Dec 18, 2012 at 08:14 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Friend Switching From Nikon - Help w/ Canon Equivalents?

Lance Couture wrote:
Hi Gang,

A colleague at work is switching from Nikon to Canon after 25 years. I'm not going to bore you with the details, so I just need to know the Canon equivalents to the following bodies:

Nikon D600

Nikon D700

I know *nothing* about Nikon, and would like to be able to advise him accordingly, since he has asked for my help.

Cheers!

- Lance

EOS 6D

EOS 5Dc <-- the camera that inspired Nikon to move their arse into compact dslr FF. D700 has only 12mp and no video not a real comparison to the 5d2.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:11 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Friend Switching From Nikon - Help w/ Canon Equivalents?

If he or she is coming from Nikon bodies of that spec, I expect them to be able to work out the details of which body to get rather easily. Obviously the cost of the 5DII right now is a huge bargin. I just sold mine for $1350 with third party grip and screen. If cost is an issue get them used. I would say the 5DIII is a much better option if they prefer having a nice AF system like the D700. The upgrades in the 5DIII seem small, but it is a better camera than I expected once I added up all the benefits in real use.

Dec 19, 2012 at 01:08 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.