Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · What is the difference between Canon 1.4v II & 1.4 VI...

MS PHOTO
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · What is the difference between Canon 1.4v II & 1.4 VIII???

I am buying the Canon 400mm f5.6L lens to use on my !D Mark IV, and I now have a Canon 1.4v II extender & want to know if the new Canon 1.4v III is that much better?? and worth the price to update. Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks Paul

Dec 18, 2012 at 08:13 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · What is the difference between Canon 1.4v II & 1.4 VIII???

MS PHOTO wrote:
I am buying the Canon 400mm f5.6L lens to use on my !D Mark IV, and I now have a Canon 1.4v II extender & want to know if the new Canon 1.4v III is that much better?? and worth the price to update. Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks Paul

Supposedly more accurate AF when used with IS II super-tele but that part is not relevant to you.

It has a lot less lateral CA (although if you shoot RAW you can clean up much lateral CA anyway). (I never compared longitudinal CA, the type that makes PF though, so I can't say if it improves that any or not, that sort would be very tricky to fix in post.)

It is MARGINALLY sharper in the center, like you need to look at 200% view to see clearly that the new one is sharper.

It is definitely sharper at the edges.

Edited on Dec 18, 2012 at 09:38 PM · View previous versions

Dec 18, 2012 at 08:39 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #3 · What is the difference between Canon 1.4v II & 1.4 VIII???

I have that lens, a 1dIII and 1.4 II extender as well. All reports that I read were that the III has better edge performance and less purple fringing, but center sharpness performance was basically the same. I used the extender (I recently sold it)with the 400mm 5.6 only rarely because the extender defeated the purpose for owning the 400mm f/5.6 - namely ultra fast AF and bitingly sharp IQ. The extender definitely takes a hit on AF and sharpness. It works when you need it, but if you need the extra reach, you're probably better off getting a 7D than an extender.

Dec 18, 2012 at 08:40 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #4 · What is the difference between Canon 1.4v II & 1.4 VIII???

I've the 1.4 II that is used on my 300 f4L IS, even on my 70-200 f4L IS and as stated above AF does get slower but it's usable.

I'm hoping Canon will bring out a 400 or 500 f5.6 L with IS sometime next year, but may just opt for the current 400. When I do the 1.4 III will be purchased as well, Ive seen several images with the III and the edges are indeed sharper.

My croppers are aging, kinda hoping the upgrade to the 7D is killer

Dec 18, 2012 at 09:05 PM
JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #5 · What is the difference between Canon 1.4v II & 1.4 VIII???

Paul:

I have both the 1.4v II and the 1.4v III. I don't have the 400 f/5.6, but I do have the 300 f/4.0 and use the extenders a lot with my 300 (and with my 70-200 f/2.8 Mk II).

From my perspective there is VERY little noticeable image quality difference - certainly not worth the additional price, at least not to me.

What I notice the most is that the 1.4v III has a little more 'reach' than the 1.4v II. Because of that I always use the 1.4v III - but otherwise not too much difference to me.

Construction-wise, the 1.4v II has four screws on both sides holding it together, the 1.4v III has four screws on one side, seven on the other. I am guessing Canon saw a little deformation on the one side and added some screws. Not a big thing to me either as I don't own any super tele lenses and I treat my equipment carefully.

Jim

Dec 18, 2012 at 09:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rprouty
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · What is the difference between Canon 1.4v II & 1.4 VIII???

I sold my two 1.4X IIs and replaced them with IIIs. I don't believe it's worth the dollar difference.

Rod

Dec 19, 2012 at 02:07 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · What is the difference between Canon 1.4v II & 1.4 VIII???

I replaced a 1.4x Mk I and 2x Mk II with Mk III's. I think it was worth the added expense, because the edges and corners are much sharper with the Mk III's. Plus, the Mk III environmental sealing is better.

OTOH, If you don't need sharper edges and corners (which is often the case with long lenses), then it's probably not worth the extra expense.

Dec 19, 2012 at 02:19 AM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · What is the difference between Canon 1.4v II & 1.4 VIII???

JimboCin wrote:
Paul:

From my perspective there is VERY little noticeable image quality difference - certainly not worth the additional price, at least not to me.

Construction-wise, the 1.4v II has four screws on both sides holding it together, the 1.4v III has four screws on one side, seven on the other. I am guessing Canon saw a little deformation on the one side and added some screws. Not a big thing to me either as I don't own any super tele lenses and I treat my equipment carefully.

Jim

I agree with what is quoted above. I know that, when we spend money, we like to believe that it has been money well spent, but, of all of the 10s of thousands of dollars worth of equipment that I've spent money on, the $500 that I paid for my 1.4x III, even though it was one of my least expensive equipment purchases, is one of the ones for which I feel like I wasted my money. There may well be optical improvements between my 1.4x II and my 1.4x III, but, if there are, they are small enough that I would never notice them in looking at a print or at normal viewing sizes on the screen. When I go out shooting now and want to take a 1.4x with me, I don't even pay much attention to whether I'm grabbing the version II or the version III.

Also going along with what I quoted above, for me, the most significant potential improvement in the version III is the beefed-up mounting hardware with the extra screws on the mount. I have previously had a 1.4x II that did suffer from deformation in the mount to the extent that Canon was not able to satisfactorily repair it. With the beefed up mount, I'm hoping that such deformation will be less likely with the version III.

Les

Dec 19, 2012 at 02:21 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #9 · What is the difference between Canon 1.4v II & 1.4 VIII???

Peter did a test with the 200 1.8L and 1.4x II vs 1.4xIII that led me to believe that there is more potential benefit if the lens you are using with the TC has superb performance to start with. I only did informal tests when I was upgrading, but at the time I considered the $250 price difference worth the upgrade. I would say that if you are using a really special lens and can spare the cash it could be worth the cost. If you are using nice, but not extraordinary lenses the benefit is questionable compared with other potential uses of the money. I started on a mark II and was quite happy with the results.

Dec 19, 2012 at 05:45 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password