Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Experience with tokina Canada

mtakako

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Experience with tokina Canada

Anyone have any experience with Tokina canada distributor Daymen? How long does it take for them to repair a lens? I brought a brand new tokina 16-28 in mid october and OOB, there was a issue with the AF so I send it in to repair. Till this day, my len is still waiting for a part? How ridiculous is that? Just wanted to know if anyone have any experience with them?

Dec 18, 2012 at 07:42 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Experience with tokina Canada

They are most likely waiting for the part to be shipped from Japan, by cargo. And sometimes the way these things work, is that they won't ship the part until there is a large enough order to send it with a lot of stuff... in a shipping container. So you could be waiting weeks.

I remember once waiting 3 months to have something repaired because of the same issue. I can't say anything bad about Daymen, because I have never really dealt with them.

Dec 18, 2012 at 08:09 PM
lara_ckl
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Experience with tokina Canada

IMO, this is unacceptable. Your lens is a currently shipping product. The Authorized distributor for a market as large as Canada should have parts on hand. And, if they don't, they shouldn't make a customer wait 2 months for it. How much can it be to FedEx a lens part from Japan (or wherever they have it)?

Dec 18, 2012 at 08:40 PM
DABNIK
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Experience with tokina Canada

lara_ckl wrote:
IMO, this is unacceptable. Your lens is a currently shipping product. The Authorized distributor for a market as large as Canada should have parts on hand. And, if they don't, they shouldn't make a customer wait 2 months for it. How much can it be to FedEx a lens part from Japan (or wherever they have it)?

I agree 100%. You paid for the lens & now have to wait until THEY come up with parts. I woudl demand another lens from their supply.

Dec 18, 2012 at 08:42 PM
harvey steeves
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Experience with tokina Canada

Daymen just recently acquired distributorship for Tokina so they may not have the parts they require in stock; if the lens didn't work out of the box, it should have been returned to the retail store for replacement.

Dec 18, 2012 at 09:35 PM
lara_ckl
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Experience with tokina Canada

harvey steeves wrote:
Daymen just recently acquired distributorship for Tokina so they may not have the parts they require in stock; if the lens didn't work out of the box, it should have been returned to the retail store for replacement.

Does that mean they may not have the diagnostic equipment or experienced technicians either?

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:21 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Experience with tokina Canada

According to Rcicala the third-tier trinity are stepping up their repair experience, capitalizing on the often horrid repair experiences with Canon/Nikon.

My experience with Tokina USA was great, as was the experience with Tamron. Call Tokina daily if need be. This is totally out of line.

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:24 PM
harvey steeves
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Experience with tokina Canada

Daymen has been in the photography products distribution business for quite some time and its service department have always treated me well in the past. As with all products, when something new comes along, there is a learning curve. My Nikon D800s' have taken 2 months collectively for service and while they work, they still are not perfect but will do for my purposes.

Dec 19, 2012 at 03:34 PM
sportsdadof3
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Experience with tokina Canada

My experience with Tokina US was decent with a recent repair (my fault). The dealer returned the lens for me saving shipment costs and I tracked the shipment. Once it arrived I emailed the repair department and received prompt response with a quote for the repair. After payment for the repair - the cycle time back to me was three weeks (shipping west coast to east coast ground). Plus I received a tracking number from Tokina.

Sounds like the third party Is struggling a bit ... But still unacceptable. Local dealer should have stepped up more IMHO.

Best,

Wendell

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:37 PM
mtakako

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Experience with tokina Canada

I talked to them yesterday and mention about getting a replacement len. They pretty much say no and did not even bother to reply to my request. I had waited for over 2 month and they still can not give me a date to when the part is going to arrived. Since I had waited that long, why can't they even send that one single part on express. A courier service will probably cost them 25 dollar max for that part. Absolutely terrible customer service. That 5 year Canadian warranty is pretty much useless.From this experience with them, I will never buy their product again.

DABNIK wrote:
I agree 100%. You paid for the lens & now have to wait until THEY come up with parts. I woudl demand another lens from their supply.

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

harvey steeves
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Experience with tokina Canada

who did you purchase the lens from and have you informed them of your problems? They should be able to provide some assistance especially since the problem was right out of the box. Ask the retailer if they would replace the lens if you got it back from Daymen since it went in for repair so quickly.

Dec 20, 2012 at 03:14 AM
mtakako

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Experience with tokina Canada

Len is still in repair. No updates whatsoever. Send them 2 email this last week or so, and they are no longer replying. This is defiantly my last tokina len.

Jan 14, 2013 at 09:41 PM
mtakako

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Experience with tokina Canada

Still nothing.. Ooh well.. I give up on them. Called today to get them to send my lens back to me. Told them to give me a call when the part comes in. Total of almost 4 month wasted. Such nonsense.

Jan 28, 2013 at 07:34 PM
lara_ckl
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Experience with tokina Canada

Unbelievable. There must a govt agency you can complain to and get action. Basically, their warranty is not worth the paper it is printed on.

Jan 28, 2013 at 08:28 PM
mtakako

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Experience with tokina Canada

Yes.. pretty much useless warranty. I am planning to get it back and once the parts come in, I will give it to the store where I brought the lens from and get them to send it in. Maybe they will treat reseller better than how they treat end customer.

Jan 28, 2013 at 08:57 PM
lara_ckl
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Experience with tokina Canada

Call me cynical, but I think they will forget about you, and your lens, the moment it leaves their hands. Parts? What parts?

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:14 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Experience with tokina Canada

Just to clarify an earlier post - I commented that Sigma and Tamron USA were making great strides. Tokina USA has not changed a lot that I can tell. And my comments only reflect USA repairs, every country or region has different service.

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:20 PM
mtakako

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Experience with tokina Canada

That is mostly like to happen. But I am hoping if I get the store to send in my Len, the result will be different and plus I will not need to deal with this nonsense.I had never seen such bad customer service. I mean standard shipping from Japan will not take more than 2 month to arrived. Not sure what is the problem is. Would be crazy if they have no spare part for the production flagship Len. Unbelievable.

lara_ckl wrote:
Call me cynical, but I think they will forget about you, and your lens, the moment it leaves their hands. Parts? What parts?

Jan 29, 2013 at 05:52 AM
mtakako

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Experience with tokina Canada

Wow... called on Jan 28 to get this shipped back to me unrepaired. And guess what, no lens yet. I talked to the manager on Jan 28 and was told that the lens will be shipped back to me. I had also emailed them 2 days ago to ask about the shipped back status. Any no reply. OMG! I just want my lens back.Anyone has deal with this situation before? What else can I do? I can not even express how upset I am right.

Feb 08, 2013 at 10:49 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password