Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       end

Archive 2012 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

Lee Saxon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

molson wrote:
overpriced fashion-accessory brands like Kirk/RRS

You're wrong about this.

RRS/Kirk/etc spend a huge amount of money 3D scanning cameras, designing plates to mate to them, running FEA analysis on those designs, making and testing absurdly expensive prototypes...and remember, this is not a smartphone: they have to amortize those costs over thousands (or even hundreds), not millions, of sales.

So sure, when you steal RRS's hard work and skip straight to mass production (in China, furthermore), you can sell much cheaper. But it ain't right.

I'm starting a business making these kinds of accessories. You don't want to know how much money I've spent on prototypes (or hell, even how much money I've spent on CAD software).

Mar 02, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Thorsten
• • •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

Lee Saxon wrote:
You're wrong about this.

RRS/Kirk/etc spend a huge amount of money 3D scanning cameras, designing plates to mate to them, running FEA analysis on those designs, making and testing absurdly expensive prototypes...and remember, this is not a smartphone: they have to amortize those costs over thousands (or even hundreds), not millions, of sales.

So sure, when you steal RRS's hard work and skip straight to mass production (in China, furthermore), you can sell much cheaper. But it ain't right.

I'm starting a business making these kinds of accessories. You don't want to know how much money I've spent on prototypes (or hell,
...Show more

Right on. And in addition, those "fashion accessories" often have more of an impact on the IQ than designer camera X or collectors lens Y.

Mar 03, 2013 at 02:01 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

Update, if you're not in the habit of checking the RRS site:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE - 06-March: Final design approval for the collar is still pending. We hope to have the final prototype approved within the next week, and will proceed to the production stage once that step is complete.
We understand that many customers need this collar urgently, and are working to have it ready as soon as we can. Our priority, as it always has been, is to deliver the best product posssible, so the LC-A12 must meet our standards before proceeding to production.

We thank you for your patience, and as always if you have any questions, please contact us.

Mar 07, 2013 at 01:43 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

I haven't called them since they posted the update above - anyone talked to them?

Mar 24, 2013 at 09:29 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

Just to update: I e-mailed them Monday, and they answered that the initial pre-orders are expected to ship early next week.

My guess is the later pre-orders (like mine) are mid-month.

Mar 28, 2013 at 05:54 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

Thorsten wrote:
Right on. And in addition, those "fashion accessories" often have more of an impact on the IQ than designer camera X or collectors lens Y.

Highly doubtful... you can (as the majority of photographers do) take a photo without an expensive tripod plate, but it's much more difficult to do without a camera or a lens.

It's really quite funny to see how people start worshipping their favourite brands...

Mar 28, 2013 at 06:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

M635_Guy
• • • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

molson wrote:
Highly doubtful... you can (as the majority of photographers do) take a photo without an expensive tripod plate, but it's much more difficult to do without a camera or a lens.

It's really quite funny to see how people start worshipping their favourite brands...

I think you're missing his point. As to what I think is your point, it works both ways. There is clearly fanboi-behaviour for products that is as much about worship and/or status as reality (I put Apple in this category, at least for the last few years), and there is loyalty earned from excellence. Sometimes it isn't black or white. In the case of RRS, I think it is most often the latter. Your opinion may differ, and certainly you're entitled to it and have the freedom to choose with your checkbook, but I find the desire you apparently have to sit in judgement of the choices and opinions of others a little sad.

Edited on Mar 29, 2013 at 12:37 PM · View previous versions

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:07 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

So far I've been quite happy with my RT-1 - it seems more than stable enough with my D800 mounted on it. So stability should not, in my mind, be a reason to switch it to another collar. Being invested in a QC system seems like the likely reason.

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:00 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

jhinkey wrote:
So far I've been quite happy with my RT-1 - it seems more than stable enough with my D800 mounted on it. So stability should not, in my mind, be a reason to switch it to another collar. Being invested in a QC system seems like the likely reason.

I have no doubt the Nikon collar would be fine. As you mentioned, I'm already on Arca-Swiss, so not needing a separate foot is a plus. I just wouldn't trust my lens to the eBay no-name collars.

Edited on Mar 29, 2013 at 12:37 PM · View previous versions

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:33 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

M635_Guy wrote:
I have no doubt the Nikon collar would be fine. As you mentioned, I'm already on Arca-Swiss, so no needing a separate foot is a plus. I just wouldn't trust my lens to the eBay no-name collars.

Yep, that's why I went with the Nikon version. Besides, you are not just trusting your lens, but your (my) D800 that's attached to it!

Mar 29, 2013 at 06:37 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

campyone wrote:
I haven't read this entire thread so if this is a dupe my apologies. However, I bought a 3rd-party collar for about $20 for my Canon 70-200 lens. It looked very close to the Canon collar and seemed to do an adequate job. However, I found that if I lightly pushed the back of the camera with the collar on and the camera mounted on a tripod the camera would move very slightly. I then tried the same thing with a friend's Canon collar and found that with it the camera didn't move at all. So I bought the Canon
...Show more

That instability would have cost you sharpness. The whole point is to make all of the equipment one dead-solid piece of stone - no flappy bits allowed.

Mar 29, 2013 at 06:08 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

Another update:

Talked to RRS yesterday, and their collar is still not shipping. At this point, they are shooting for mid-to-end of next week, with a pretty big clearing by the end of the following week.

That is in time for the trip I'm taking where I really need it, but I'd sure like to have it sooner. Can't say I understand what the holdup is...

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:40 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password