Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Overcoming gear nostalgia?

kaycephoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Overcoming gear nostalgia?

This may be an odd post for many, but I'll get it off my chest while I wait for a set of photos to export & maybe some of you can help me overcome this "issue" haha.. First, I feel I'm very fortunate to be a working photographer in an era where our jobs of capturing a moment are probably easier than they ever have been. I got a great deal a while ago on a brand new 1DX so I quickly chose to dump my 1Ds3 & I haven't really looked back since - without a doubt, the 1DX has helped me get "the shot" more consistently than the 1Ds3 for event coverage & also has yielded much, much better image quality at mid/high ISOs (I've typically capped it at ISO 2500 since I shoot at f/2.8, but I'd feel confident going up to 6400). In studio situations at ISO 100, I'd be lying to you if I told you I could notice a difference between 1DX & 1Ds3 files, plus the 1DX basically never even slightly mis-focuses..

That said, I miss shooting with the 1Ds3 & I have no idea why.. I feel I took more time to set up shots when I shot the 1Ds3 (which isn't always necessarily a good thing), whereas with the 1DX I don't worry about much & I basically feel like I'll always get the photo I expect to get when I press the shutter button (truly an amazing tool paired with the 24-70II & 600EX-RT)

Yet, about once a day when I'm exporting a set of photos & waiting, I wonder if I should have kept the 1Ds3 for just studio shooting.. & then I realize I have issues haha. thanks in advance for reading my drivel..

(I also miss some of my lenses that I've sold for financial reasons, but that I can quantify & rationalize completely - seeing the tones/gradients of a sunrise shot with a Zeiss 21mm was always very different from how I felt when I looked at my "similar" 24LmkII shots..)

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:18 AM
convergent
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Overcoming gear nostalgia?

Unless you have unlimited funds, to keep everything, this will always happen. Up until I got the 5D3, I still favored my long since sold D2H autofocus over about 10 other Canon bodies, many 1D series in the mix. Every piece of photographic equipment has something unique and special.

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:25 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Overcoming gear nostalgia?

When I first purchased my 1Ds3 back in 2008 I was at first a bit underwhelmed. It was (I thought) very overpriced compared to the 1D3 (i.e. twice the price for a slightly bigger sensor) but it has grown on me over the years.

I like the fact it isn't that sophisticated, I find that easier when I'm rushing, there are fewer things to worry about, fewer buttons to press.

I rarely go over 800 ISO so for me there is no reason to buy a 1Dx, superb camera though it looks. I know how you feel though.

I recently bought a 5D3 and it is just so complex, it's a clear generation or two on from the 1Ds3 and it's a superb camera but I don't think I'll ever sell the Ds3 now. I think it's a bit of a modern classic.

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:30 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Overcoming gear nostalgia?

I had a 1Ds that I superbly enjoyed using - and had that for several years. Most of the stuff on my website was shot with that camera. I sold that and have since to an F5 and now a D700. I miss that camera, but at the end of the day, it was a superb tool.

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Overcoming gear nostalgia?

Kevin,
I don't have to tell you that the 1DX is a camera geared for fast action photography and it really excels as such. As you have discovered, the camera lends itself very well under more controlled conditions but it seems to be an overkill at one hand but missing something at the other, doesn't it? As good as it is, but it is more a niched tool and we definitely is anxiously awaiting for the 1DXs or whatever Canon will be calling that, which is more designed more to be a landscape and studio photographers but with a slower FPS compared to that of the 1DX. We will have to wait until February to hear the announcement then.... I am afraid that it will be a different class, more in the 1D series category than that of the 5D series with a price tag to match . It sounds though that you will be served just fine with the two bodies. With that said, it would be a good idea to sell your current 1Ds Mark III in anticipation of the new camera .

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Overcoming gear nostalgia?

Kevin -- Yes, there are always good things about the earlier cameras, aren't there?

I recently re-tried 35mm film, reacquiring old cameras I have owned (AE-1 Program and T90), plus newer ones I'd never invested in (EOS 1N). No regrets here for having giving up on film! But the cameras are nice, and bring back pleasant memories of simpler times.

I miss the feel and sound of the Nikon D1X and its 1/16,000 shutter speed. But the other aspects were out of the Flintstones.

Less antique, I've kept one 1D mark II, because of its quality and convenience when shooting smaller files, and the fact it's not worth anything to sell compared to keeping.

The 5D original took a lot of great images for me and paid for itself many times over, but it is past its technological prime, and will be sold in the near future.

Even though, on average, I'm about one generation back now, I don't keep unneeded gear -- there is always something newer and better waiting for me to buy. Right now my gear is at its highest quality in my entire career, and can say I'm more adept and professional using it than I have ever been. Mastering the gear has helped to propel me to higher levels of IQ and confidence.

So, like the walk the Final Three always take near the conclusion of each season of Survivor, I review the fallen comrades that have helped to propel me to the place I am. But I don't grieve for their loss.

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Overcoming gear nostalgia?

I wasn't quite sure how, or If I should reply to this. Since in reality I am still shooting in the past, still using an "ancient" 20D and and a newly aquired 1DMk2. I did have a Pentax K-1000 and and a Pentax MX, but being in New England both shutters seized up during the cold weather.
Not my 20D though. Yes I really like it, to the point I would never sell it, also realizing it isn't worth much anymore anyways.
I want to upgrade and will wait and see what the new 7D II will be like ,I'm really hoping it will be the "one". Its already a great camera, especially the great autofocus.
Then again I was thinking about getting an old silver tree and the rotating light that changes color, talk about nostalgia !

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:48 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Overcoming gear nostalgia?

Other then the superior AF point illumination in my 1D4 I don't really think I miss anything about past camera bodies I've owned. I went from a 10D to 1D2 because I was doing more and more sports and wanted higher FPS and faster AF tracking. Went from the 1D2 to 1D4 for superior high ISO performance because I was doing a lot of indoor sports. Finally to a 1DX because I wanted FF and the newer AF and better high ISO. I was looking at my archive last night searching for a past cheerleader who is now a Marketing Director and I could definitely see the jumps in quality as I upgraded. That's really all that matters to me. I have very little nostalgia for older equipment.

Dec 18, 2012 at 02:22 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Overcoming gear nostalgia?

I could say that I 'miss' my 1Ds, but I replaced it (after 5 years of use) with the 1DsIII and am still thrilled with that unit. Perhaps other cameras are faster or have a few newer features, but my camera still provides fabulous output no matter what else is newly released. I have a 5D2 as a second body that rarely gets used. I'm looking forward to the next big gun from Canon and hoping it will essentially be a 1Ds4 regardless of what it's model name will be. Since Canon recently addressed the fast burst speed crowd, they're due to satisfy the studio-landscape slower moving shooters.

Dec 18, 2012 at 05:58 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Overcoming gear nostalgia?

I have the opposite problem: no gear nostalgia! I love getting new toys and ditching the old stuff. There are a few great old 'n moldy pieces I seem to hang on to--mainly optics--but cameras are like new film and come and go easily. During the film era I often shot with my gear for many years. I used my 1992 EOS A2 until it melted into a lump 'o plastic goo and only finally benched it when I went digital in 2003. I still have a Nikon FM3A--not that I use it--but it is a beautiful brick 'o metal and bitchin' paperweight.

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:15 PM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Overcoming gear nostalgia?

Nostalgia is great. I do agree though, as technology advances some of the "thinking" is taken out of it. I was at a showing a few days ago where I met a college photo student and she showed me her work. She's done a rather impressive portrait series on 4x5 and just hearing her talk about the 10-15 mins to set up a shot and then of course putting in the time to develop it brings me back to high school and similar projects in photography class. Part of me misses that, but the rest of me knows I'd sooner or later miss the instant gratification of digital.

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:43 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Overcoming gear nostalgia?

Now I am using a 5D MKIII, I'm nostalgic about my Nikon FM's focusing.

Edited on Dec 18, 2012 at 06:57 PM · View previous versions

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:56 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Overcoming gear nostalgia?

Paul -- Buy a few Nikon AIS lenses (or older still!) and get adapters to shoot them manually on your 5D3!

Dec 18, 2012 at 07:07 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Overcoming gear nostalgia?

Aye, it's the manual focusing system; the screen. Sometimes, I miss it.

Dec 19, 2012 at 02:02 AM
MintMar
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Overcoming gear nostalgia?

To fix the problem with nostalgia, my 1D2N (along with 50/1.8 Mk1) is destined to be a on display as a memorabilia one day, next to my grand-grandfather's Kodak plate camera.

Dec 19, 2012 at 04:21 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Overcoming gear nostalgia?

Call it nostalgia or call it economic prudence........a pro photographer might be in the economic position to constantly acquire new gear and this can be justified by results; but I suspect most amateurs (and pros from what I see) are a long way from getting the most from their current gear.

To think otherwise probably means they have succumbed to the constant advertising of the manufacturers and the subliminal messages on boards like this.....all harping on one theme...'if you want to improve you must spend more money...'

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:23 AM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Overcoming gear nostalgia?

convergent wrote:
Unless you have unlimited funds, to keep everything, this will always happen. Every piece of photographic equipment has something unique and special.

robbymack wrote:
Nostalgia is great. I do agree though, as technology advances some of the "thinking" is taken out of it.

dhphoto wrote:
When I first purchased my 1Ds3 back in 2008 I was at first a bit underwhelmed. It was (I thought) very overpriced compared to the 1D3 (i.e. twice the price for a slightly bigger sensor) but it has grown on me over the years.

I like the fact it isn't that sophisticated, I find that easier when I'm rushing, there are fewer things to worry about, fewer buttons to press.

I recently bought a 5D3 and it is just so complex, it's a clear generation or two on from the 1Ds3 and it's a superb camera but I don't think I'll ever
...Show more

Mike, Robby & dhphoto, i think that actually nails a big part of it - there's an elegant simplicity to the 1Ds3. Though it lacks many modern features & has a useless screen/buffer, it's still fully capable of producing top-notch results when utilized properly.. Now that I think about it, part of my nostalgia probably stems from not having the same sense of accomplishment when reviewing photos from 1DX sessions as I did when going 1Ds3 sessions.. sounds stupid, but it makes sense haha.

ggreene wrote:
Other then the superior AF point illumination in my 1D4 I don't really think I miss anything about past camera bodies I've owned. I went from a 10D to 1D2 because I was doing more and more sports and wanted higher FPS and faster AF tracking. Went from the 1D2 to 1D4 for superior high ISO performance because I was doing a lot of indoor sports. Finally to a 1DX because I wanted FF and the newer AF and better high ISO. I was looking at my archive last night searching for a past cheerleader who is now a Marketing
...Show more

AGeoJO wrote:
Kevin,
I don't have to tell you that the 1DX is a camera geared for fast action photography and it really excels as such. As you have discovered, the camera lends itself very well under more controlled conditions but it seems to be an overkill at one hand but missing something at the other, doesn't it? As good as it is, but it is more a niched tool and we definitely is anxiously awaiting for the 1DXs or whatever Canon will be calling that, which is more designed more to be a landscape and studio photographers but with a slower
...Show more

Gregory - I'm with you in that I only miss the AF point illumination design in the former 1-series bodies but I envy your lack of nostalgia haha. Joshua, the 1DX is really just an excellent tool - given that I don't shoot for billboards currently, the 1DX has enough resolution for everything I do & it really covers action spectacularly well. Definitely think I made the right call by selling my 1Ds3 for a somewhat decent price & I kept my 1D4 to use with superteles in the future. I don't think I'll be buying a new camera in a long time (unless I get another amazing deal haha)

anthonygh wrote:
Call it nostalgia or call it economic prudence........a pro photographer might be in the economic position to constantly acquire new gear and this can be justified by results; but I suspect most amateurs (and pros from what I see) are a long way from getting the most from their current gear.

To think otherwise probably means they have succumbed to the constant advertising of the manufacturers and the subliminal messages on boards like this.....all harping on one theme...'if you want to improve you must spend more money...'

Anthony - For a while, I was a huge advocate of not-upgrading after the 5D3 & 1Dx started trickling out, for the simple fact that I knew the upgrade wouldn't directly result in increasing my profits. It's a fact that my clients have NEVER once complained about image quality or "noise" - even going back to when I first started doing small restaurant shoots with a lowly 40D & crappy constant lights rigged to umbrellas. However, after I made the choice to switch up my shooting style by using a 24-70mkII instead of multiple primes for my general event coverage assignments, the 1Ds3 definitely started showing its weaknesses..

I definitely agree that most photographers don't get everything out of their gear & are partially victims of marketing, but in my case I'm very happy I made the jump. As I continue to get busier in the future (hopefully), my focus is squarely on improving my efficiency & continuing to make my tasks easier where possible - the 1DX has helped with that for sure.

Gunzorro wrote:
Kevin -- Yes, there are always good things about the earlier cameras, aren't there?

I recently re-tried 35mm film, reacquiring old cameras I have owned (AE-1 Program and T90), plus newer ones I'd never invested in (EOS 1N). No regrets here for having giving up on film! But the cameras are nice, and bring back pleasant memories of simpler times.

I miss the feel and sound of the Nikon D1X and its 1/16,000 shutter speed. But the other aspects were out of the Flintstones.

Less antique, I've kept one 1D mark II, because of its quality and convenience when shooting smaller
...Show more

Great way to end it Jim, I've been "coping" simply by reminding myself that I've been privileged enough to have mastered the different equipment I've used in the past & that I'm privileged to have an improved near-perfect camera to depend on now =)

Dec 19, 2012 at 07:14 AM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Overcoming gear nostalgia?

yeah, I have that problem, by the time I decide I am going to get rid of a camera, it isnt worth very much, say $500.....and when I stop to think of it, I dont really need the $500.....so the camera stays on my shelf....

hence why I have D30 (yup the first one), 1D (yup the first 1D), 1DII, 20D, 5DII, 7D and now the 1Dx.....

I dont know enough to cut and run.....that 1D, I bet it doesnt even have 10-15,000 actuations on it....

When I got my 1Dx, the gentleman that sold it to me took the 1DsIII that I had on trade with the cash I gave him. I had decided that the last thing I wanted was to have another camera body around that I dont use.

Oddly enough, I do use the 20D when I take photos in the garage (cars is my other hobby), if the camera gets buggered up for some reason, I wont feel like I messed up big....just hope that I dont break a lens in the garage....

Dec 19, 2012 at 01:00 PM
taemo
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Overcoming gear nostalgia?

photography is only a hobby for me, I don't plan to do it professionally or accept paid jobs unless portraits for friends and family.

I like to shoot with different cameras, keeps it 'fresh' for me not making me shoot with the same thing over and over again.
mid November until a week ago I was shooting with my QL17 and last week I rotated and started shooting with my M6, early new year I'm thinking of shooting my 6x7 for a while then my AE-1 Program afterwards.
although I'm planning to sell my 6x7

I miss at times my Yashica 35 GSN but then I remember it uses special batteries and how bulky it was so Im glad I sold it.
I miss my 5D, one of the most simple camera I've used that takes fantastic pictures, however now with the 5DII i've been spoiled with better ISO and more MP.
I used to have a 40D and am seeing how cheap they are nowadays, so tempted to get another one however I've never been a fan of the pics I took with it.

Dec 19, 2012 at 01:22 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.