FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

wil_ret
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1.

I'm contemplated either one of the fine cameras.

Any pros and cons?

Any help would be great.

Dec 18, 2012 at 01:10 AM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

You can't go wrong. All three are great cameras and you can take great photos with all of them. I suggest you go to stores that have all three and handle them to see if the ergonomics of any of them seem better to you. I have recommended the OM-D to several friends as it's a great camera and a great system, but something about it didn't feel right to me personally. On the other hand, I immediately bonded with my NEX 7 (similar to the NEX 6) and the more I use it the more I like it. I think the handling differences are greater than the image quality differences that you will see among these three cameras assuming you take the time to learn how to use them effectively.

Dec 18, 2012 at 01:19 AM
wil_ret
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

Thanks for that advise Jeff.
Will try them at the store,
Cheers,
Willem.

Dec 18, 2012 at 01:50 AM
savingspaces
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

I agree with Jeff Kott - good advise.

I would add that "being into photography for the last 12 months", I now understand why a pro suggested the mu4/3 over the NEX when I asked him which DSLR he recommended. Lenses make all the difference, but if you are happy with fewer offerings, all 3 will amaze. We are lucky to have the selection of cameras that are available to us.

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:14 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

savingspaces wrote:
I agree with Jeff Kott - good advise.

I would add that "being into photography for the last 12 months", I now understand why a pro suggested the mu4/3 over the NEX when I asked him which DSLR he recommended. Lenses make all the difference, but if you are happy with fewer offerings, all 3 will amaze. We are lucky to have the selection of cameras that are available to us.

I'd say m4/3, Fuji, Nex and NX all offer enough lenses for most users, at this point. FWIW, none of them are DSLRs.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:42 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

NEX and XE offer the best image quality and best aperture control.

XE has fantastic jpgs and fantastic low-light IQ, and a few great lenses. In certain conditions it rivals my 5dmk2. AF good, but slow/hunts in very low light and backlit situations.

OMD has fast AF.

They are all fantastic. And it's going to be mostly personal preference and ergonomics. You have to use each to figure out what works best for you. They are all able.

Dec 19, 2012 at 01:37 PM
misanthropic a
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

For me, it came down to the NEX and the OM-D. Reason I went the OM-D route is lens selection, Olympus/Panasonic have an amazing amount of fantastic primes. The PL25 especially.

Dec 19, 2012 at 03:59 PM
savingspaces
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

douglasf13 wrote:
I'd say m4/3, Fuji, Nex and NX all offer enough lenses for most users, at this point. FWIW, none of them are DSLRs.

You are 100% correct. In fact, if "most" DSLR users are any indication, the kit lens is all that is needed in "most" cases. In any case, for the OP, MU43 offers 3 times as many lenses as NEX.

douglasf13, not sure what your last statement means, but this is what DPreview thought of the OM-D

The E-M5 can't completely overcome the light capture disadvantage brought by its smaller sensor, compared to APS-C, but it reduces it to the point that it's irrelevant for almost all practical purposes. At which point we think its size advantage, in terms of both body and lenses, will outweigh that difference for most uses. If you're absolutely unwilling to compromise on image quality then spending twice the money and moving up to the bulk of full-frame is the only way of gaining a significant step up from the E-M5

Dec 19, 2012 at 05:21 PM
misanthropic a
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

What he is talking about is that all the mirrorless cameras are NOT a (D)SLR, as they have no reflex mirror.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-lens_reflex_camera

Dec 19, 2012 at 05:43 PM
savingspaces
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

misanthropic a wrote:
What he is talking about is that all the mirrorless cameras are NOT a (D)SLR, as they have no reflex mirror.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-lens_reflex_camera

Cool! I thought that was understood by the OP

Dec 19, 2012 at 05:45 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

savingspaces wrote:
You are 100% correct. In fact, if "most" DSLR users are any indication, the kit lens is all that is needed in "most" cases. In any case, for the OP, MU43 offers 3 times as many lenses as NEX.

douglasf13, not sure what your last statement means, but this is what DPreview thought of the OM-D

My point is simply that, even for many pros and enthusiasts, a hand full of lenses will handle most anything. I rarely shoot more than 3-4 primes with any camera system, and all of the mirrorless brands that I mentioned have enough of a lens selection, at this point, to appeal to most users of all levels. For instance, m4/3 has 6 kit zoom lenses in the 14-4xmm range, and I don't think most photographers would need more than one of those, at the most.

You referred to NEX and m4/3 as DSLRs, which means digital single-lens reflex, and that isn't accurate, since they don't have mirrors.

Dec 19, 2012 at 05:45 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

Personally, I still think how the ergonomics of each of these cameras feels to you is a more significant factor than the differences in lens selection or image quality.

m4/3 has an awesome lens selection, but unless there is some highly specialized need, I think one can be covered by the NEX lenses currently available or that will be available in the next few months.

Dec 19, 2012 at 05:56 PM
savingspaces
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

You referred to NEX and m4/3 as DSLRs, which means digital single-lens reflex, and that isn't accurate, since they don't have mirrors.

Sorry, I type slow and assume people know what I try to say.

I asked a pro photographer last year while I was detailing his vehicles whether he suggested Canon or Nikon. I was naturally interested in a DSLR. That is all I knew about. Instead, he said to look into the G3 (I wanted a viewfinder) from Panasonic and MU4/3 in general. I am glad that he steered me towards mirrorless.

I apologize for not being clear in my initial reply.

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:10 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

Agreed, Jeff. Handling is a major factor. It also depends on the expectations and needs of the user. The Nikon 1 series is of no interest to me, but I recommended the highly discounted V1 to a friend, because he needed small and simple with a couple of zooms, and I thought the great AF and simple controls would be more important to him, as a beginner, than relatively marginal IQ improvements, since I doubt that he'll print anything very large, and he isn't all that interested in learning how to use a camera manually.

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:14 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

I went through a similar decision last week. You can see the thread here:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1172724

If you read to the end you will see that I finally decided to get my partner the OM-D, and a nice set of lenses. At the same time I recommended that one of her friends get the NEX 6, however, and if I were buying for myself I probably would have gotten the X-e1. There are strengths to each system, and how you feel about the ergonomics should matter. For my partner, who has small hands and fingers, the small buttons on the OM-D were not a problem. For me, however, I find them so small compared to my big hands that I can hardly use them. Although, even for her, the ergonomics worked better with top part of the grip. The OM-D also worked for her, because she wants and values fast accurate autofocus, but doesn't use tracking (i.e. servo) autofocus. She also enjoys macro a lot and m4/3rds has some very good macros (I got her the Olympus 60 f/2.8). At the moment, NEX doesn't really have a macro lens that competes, although I am sure when the Zeiss 50 macro comes out next year it will be great, but no doubt a lot more money too. So for my partner given how and what she shoots the OM-D was the better choice. It probably is if you want to shoot predominantly AF lenses.

For her friend, however, I recommended the NEX6. Her friend wanted a camera for two primary purposes, travel and portraits. The NEX6 is noticeably smaller than the OM-D, and should be very good for travel. I don't know how good the kit zoom is, but it is also nice and small. She should also be able to build a great kit by adding the new 10-18 for wide angle, the Zeiss 24 f/1.8 and a nice portrait lens. I will try to talk her into getting a Rokkor 58 f/1.2 for portraits, which ought to be spectacular on the NEX6, but it seems that even the Sony 50 f/1.8 isn't too bad. For her friends given how and what she shoots, the smaller size, and larger sensor (with the opportunity for greater depth of field) of the NEX6 seemed the way to go.

For myself, both the OM-D and the NEX6 are too small to be comfortable in my large mitts. When handling the cameras I found the Fuji to be a lot more comfortable. I also like the line up of primes that Fuji has developed. I think I could be quite happy with the 14 f/2.8, the 23 f/1.4, the 35 f/1.4, and either my Rokkor 58 f/1.2 or the 56 f/1.4.

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:15 PM
wil_ret
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

Just want to clarify , that for my day to day use,I have a D3x ,3 zooms and 3 TSE lenses.
I'm one of those shooters that likes to look trough a viewfinder , hence my question for those cameras.
They all offer a viewfinder.
From what I've seen,I'm leaning towards the Fuji with the 18-55 zoom to start with.
I also like the look of it the most.

Thanks for all the input btw,
Cheers,
Willem.

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:17 PM
savingspaces
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

Jeff Kott wrote:
Personally, I still think how the ergonomics of each of these cameras feels to you is a more significant factor than the differences in lens selection or image quality.

m4/3 has an awesome lens selection, but unless there is some highly specialized need, I think one can be covered by the NEX lenses currently available or that will be available in the next few months.

Right! For most, the kit lens will never be removed from the camera.

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:17 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

savingspaces wrote:
Right! For most, the kit lens will never be removed from the camera.

Even if you use way more than just a kit zoom, there are plenty of lens options from m4/3, Samsung NX, Sony NEX, and Fuji X-mount. Each of those systems has a pretty good lineup of prime lenses.

Dec 19, 2012 at 07:33 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

Willem,

I have owned all the bodies mentioned except the NEX-6 (NEX 5n and 7, OM-D, all the Panny G series) and the X-E1 is the winner, ergonomically and UI-wise, for me. The Fuji button and control layout works and button size and layout is perfect.

JPEGs are excellent; low light performance is great (I have Auto ISO set to 6400, a first for me), and the 35/1.4 sits on the camera most of the time. It is as good as people say. And for work you have the D3x.

On the wider end, the CV 12/5.6 on a Fuji adapter is excellent (and I have not needed focus peaking; the 3x and 10x magnification and the enormous DOF works very well).

The viewfinder is perhaps not as good as the OM-D's, but is good enough.

Dec 19, 2012 at 07:55 PM
savingspaces
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

douglasf13 wrote:
Even if you use way more than just a kit zoom, there are plenty of lens options from m4/3, Samsung NX, Sony NEX, and Fuji X-mount. Each of those systems has a pretty good lineup of prime lenses.

Well you are correct and I love my OMD. The very fast AF, IBIS and 5 axis IS was a must for me. While the G5/GH3 feels million times better in my hand, I much prefer a clear picture over a blurry one.

Ergonomics are on the bottom of my list.

Dec 19, 2012 at 07:57 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.