Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · costco printing

mrdinh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · costco printing

my pictures looks great in cs6 but when printing at the local costco...the prints have a brown tint to them....what is wrong? help please...thanks

Dec 18, 2012 at 05:22 AM
PatrickE
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · costco printing

Costco has an option called "Auto Correct" when ordering in store. If you do not uncheck this option your photo will be corrected as to how their system thinks it should look. Not sure if this is the case when uploading to the Costco Photo site. I would assume it's the same.

I haven't had any with a brown tint but, I have had a few that are way darker/lighter than what my calibrated monitor shows when I have forgotten to uncheck "Auto Correct". Keep in mind the monitors at Costco are not calibrated.

Hope this helps.

Pat

Dec 18, 2012 at 05:56 AM
Ray Still
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · costco printing

Make sure you download the printer profiles for the Costco you are using and convert your images to that profile drycreek link below
http://www.drycreekphoto.com/icc/

Ray Still

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:56 AM
mrdinh
• • •
p.1 #4 · costco printing

yes, i uncheck the autocorrect..still gets bad results

Dec 18, 2012 at 03:17 PM
Ray Still
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · costco printing

Like I said very simple solution download the printer profiles for the costco store you print at from drycreek. Switch between srgb adobe 1998 and the costco printer profile and you will see the difference it's a very simple solution don't make it harder on yourself than it is

Ray Still

Dec 18, 2012 at 03:53 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #6 · costco printing

Is your monitor profiled? What is the light source your monitor is in? What light are you examining the photos in? These along with other factors determine how we perceive color.

Dec 18, 2012 at 05:09 PM
mr.jboy
• • •
p.1 #7 · costco printing

My prints come out great from Costco,...monitor is calibrated upload via ICC profile turn off auto check, look very very close to my monitor and I am happy.

John

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:01 AM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #8 · costco printing

mrdinh wrote:
my pictures looks great in cs6 but when printing at the local costco...the prints have a brown tint to them....what is wrong? help please...thanks

something was not right on their printer. they should reprint for you at no extra charge.

Dec 21, 2012 at 01:59 AM
mr.jboy
• • •
p.1 #9 · costco printing

mshi wrote:
something was not right on their printer. they should reprint for you at no extra charge.

That's right, and they will reprint for nothing.

Dec 21, 2012 at 04:07 AM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #10 · costco printing

mr.jboy wrote:
That's right, and they will reprint for nothing.

Costco always gets my business because their customer service really rocks.

Dec 21, 2012 at 04:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

yosemitehiker
• •
p.1 #11 · costco printing

Thank you for the Costco printer profiles

Dec 21, 2012 at 04:25 AM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #12 · costco printing

Just like any monitor, a printer's color profiles (based on paper-type) need updating on regular schedules. Costco constantly updates each of its printer's ICC based paper for each of their locations a few times a year. Make sure you always check and download the most recent ones for the printers/papers that you'll use.

Dec 21, 2012 at 05:20 AM
cbrenkus
• •
p.1 #13 · costco printing

mshi wrote:

+1
I have used Costco for years to print all my collages and prints. Even if its my mistake they will trade out,refund or reprint for free.. Customer service is awesome

Dec 23, 2012 at 02:09 PM
campyone
• •
p.1 #14 · costco printing

I don't know if this will help but here's a blog about using Costco that was useful to me the first time I used Costco. http://photsy.com/blog/?p=457

I've only had two prints made at Costco, one color and one b&w. The color was excellent (I didn't download the Dry Creek profiles, I actually didn't know that outfit was still around, they never made the profiles I paid them $50 to make and never returned my money). The b&w wasn't all that good but it may have been my negative.

Dec 23, 2012 at 02:20 PM
Ken_K
• •
p.1 #15 · costco printing

I've been battling with problems using Costco lately as well. I finally ended having them printed at a different Costco and they came out great. Went back to the original one again and most of the prints were fine however one 8x10 looked too dark. When I compared the print to the image on my monitor, it was clearly processed too dark. I've used this store in the past with no problems. Go figure!

Dec 24, 2012 at 07:28 PM
mr.jboy
• • •
p.1 #16 · costco printing

cbrenkus wrote:
mshi wrote:

+1
I have used Costco for years to print all my collages and prints. Even if its my mistake they will trade out,refund or reprint for free.. Customer service is awesome
[/quote

Yes there customer service is excellent and when you compare price to performance it is a win win situation!

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:54 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · costco printing

getting prints from commercial printers is hit and miss. At best. One can proof print (smaller version) to see how it would come out first before the big one, but that of course it would add on the cost.
BTW, if you print your self, the process would be the same. You keep on printing until lyou get it right

Dec 28, 2012 at 02:03 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · costco printing

I've had great success with Costco prints thru 11X14's...however, when you order larger
they'll use a different printer. Due to several hit and miss orders (it's ~30 miles each way)
it's just easier for me to use Bay Photo thru SmugMug and have it right the 1st time. YMMV

Dec 28, 2012 at 02:29 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #19 · costco printing

Ray Still wrote:
Make sure you download the printer profiles for the Costco you are using and convert your images to that profile drycreek link below
http://www.drycreekphoto.com/icc/

Ray Still

Just to be clear....the profiles you get from Dry Creek are NOT to be assigned as color space for your photos....they are SOFT PROOFING PROFILES, which are used to VIEW your photo in Photoshop, or Lightroom, or Aperture, and then color correct/contrast/etc....you STILL need to send them ONLY files with sRGB color space embedded...many people make this mistake....I didn't want the OP to be confused on that point...

Bottom line, you MUST calibrate and profile your display as a baseline....i use a Spyder 3 pro on a Dell Ultrasharp display, and my display matches perfectly the prints i get from costco, adorama, millers, etc. The ICC profiles you get a Dry Creek aren't monitor profiles either....just to be clear.....

One more thing, make sure to tell them to print only on whatever printer that proofing profile is built for....for example, the costco near me has a Noritsu, and a Fuji Frontier....They don't profile the Frontier, only the Noritsu...and by default any images that are selected "do not auto-correct" are sent to the Noritsu....BUT, your costco may be different, so talk to the staff there and make sure....

Dec 28, 2012 at 03:31 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #20 · costco printing

You need to follow the Kosher way of doing it here:

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/icc/using_printer_profiles.htm

Dec 29, 2012 at 06:58 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password