Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Anyone else having problems with B&H?

spada
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Anyone else having problems with B&H?

Every time I've ordered from B&H, I choose standard shipping (it's free) and it's ALWAYS UPS Ground. And every single time, it says it will arrive on a day (say it says it will arrive on the 18th of the month on UPS's website) it always arrives on the 17th, meaning a day earlier than the projected arrival date.

For reference, I live in Detroit, Michigan. B&H is in New York.

But if I'm getting the cheapest (free) shipping, there's no way I'm going to complain or post about my dissatisfaction of said free shipping. Why is padding needed anyways? Lenses are always very secure inside the manufacturer's box. Delivery trucks have harsh suspensions, and no amount of padding is going to shield it from the vibrations and jolts it will get just from the ride itself. If it's damaged, which it usually isn't, then just call B&H, they will take it back.
If you don't want to hassle with an out of state vendor like b&h and "need" a lens pronto, then help out your local camera stores, and buy locally.

Dec 18, 2012 at 08:35 PM
johnip
• • •
p.2 #2 · Anyone else having problems with B&H?

You should be able to call UPS and ask them to hold your package at their facility if they won't let you change the delivery location. I've done it a few times when I knew I wouldn't be able to get to the house to sign for them. "My" hub is on the way home from work, so it works out well. Being 20 miles away is a bit different, but if they hold it for you, you can go get it whenever.

Dec 19, 2012 at 01:11 AM
ShadowWalker
• • • •
p.2 #3 · Anyone else having problems with B&H?

I heard back from B&H. Their response was "I hope you get your package in time".

:-(

Dec 19, 2012 at 01:18 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · Anyone else having problems with B&H?

ShadowWalker wrote:
... "I hope you get your package in time".

Me too.

Dec 19, 2012 at 03:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

henryp
• • •
p.2 #5 · Anyone else having problems with B&H?

ShadowWalker wrote:
Fastforward to this weekend. I sold off a bunch of our Nikon gear and wanted to get my wife an OM-D for Christmas with the funds from the sales. Went online to B&H on Sunday and ordered it with standard delivery (up to 4 business days). Got the receipt and everyhing looked fine. Got an email this morning saying it shipped, great. I would have it by the end of the week. PROBLEM: I check the tracking link this afternoon and it said UPS GROUND with delivery Monday the 24th.

I'm very sorry for your dissatisfaction. We record customer visits to our site and I located our recording of this transaction. During checkout we offered several shipping options including
    STANDARD - Up to 4 Business Days = Free
    UPS Ground - Estimated Delivery: Mon, Dec 24 = 13.90
    UPS 3 Days - Estimated Delivery: Thu, Dec 20 = 18.80
    UPS 2-Day Air - Estimated Delivery: Wed, Dec 19 = 24.70
    UPS Next Day Air - Estimated Delivery: Tue, Dec 18 By 10:30 AM = 45.45

http://bhpho.to/ZONOUa

KibblesNbitz wrote:
In the end, its not because BH tried to save a few bucks by shipping ground, it's because you tried to save a few bucks by not paying more for 2 day shipping or overnight delivery. If you really needed it that badly for Christmas, you should have taken the precaution of using some form of rush shipping.

I find their customer service in this situation to be perfectly acceptable, as it's really your fault, not theirs. You should be glad they're helping as much as they are. Regardless, I'm sure Henry will be along shortly to help you out.

Thank you. I too wish the shipping method chosen originally had been 3-day or 2-day under the circumstances.

ShadowWalker wrote:
Actually I was asking if anyone else had experienced a problem. I've been a loyal customer for many years. But getting a lens shipped last month in a big box with no padding and then this ... I was curious if it was a fluke or if others were noticing a change in B&H.

A fluke and I wish you'd informed us at the time and included a couple of snapshots. That said, as another person noted camera bodies, lenses, etc are packed by the manufacturer with sufficient protection a shipper could simply wrap the manufacturer's box in kraft paper and ship with no concern for the product's condition upon arrival.

ShadowWalker wrote:
I heard back from B&H. Their response was "I hope you get your package in time".

That's odd because our customer service log for your order indicates we immediately contacted UPS and requested an address change. In fact the UPS package track site for your package now says, "The shipper has requested a Delivery Intercept for this package. / Deliver to Another Address." The same customer service log says we emailed you to tell you we'd made this request and that UPS had accepted it.

I am sorry you're dissatisfied at all. We appreciate your business and we do hope UPS successfully reroutes this and delivers it in time to put under the tree.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

Dec 19, 2012 at 03:13 PM
ShadowWalker
• • • •
p.2 #6 · Anyone else having problems with B&H?

Thank you Henry. This has been a big misunderstanding stemming from your website saying "Up to 4 business days" and me assuming that literally meant up to 4 business days. Especially since UPS ground, w/ Monday delivery, was a different option.

Yes, UPS has received the request to reroute it but when I called them, i was told the reroute would not happen until it got to the destination, next Monday. Meaning I will get it later in the week, after Christmas. And since I am going out of town on the 26th, I won't even be there.

Thanks for your posting.

UPDATE: Thanks again Henry for following thru and your posting.

I called customer service and they in turned called UPS who confirmed that the package won't be delivered until later in the week, after Christmas and when we will be out of town. We agreed that I should have my house/dog sitter just reject the package when it gets here and have it be returned to B&H.

Sorry things didn't work out. But given this is the busiest shipping time of the year, these things do happen. And a few lessons were learned which is always a good thing.

Wishing all of you on this forum and at B&H a wonderful holiday season and a healthy and happy new year.

Edited on Dec 19, 2012 at 03:47 PM · View previous versions

Dec 19, 2012 at 03:23 PM
henryp
• • •
p.2 #7 · Anyone else having problems with B&H?

Csae wrote:
I hope my recent experience isn't a foresight of whats to come considering your post...

They had the whole free shipping during the holidays bang, which i thought wouldn't apply to international orders anyways but when i was checking out they actually had discounted shipping for me.

So i accepted the order, and when i did i received the invoice which did not discount the shipping... Theres a term for that, bait n switch.

Thank you for your order and this feedback. We regret your dissatisfaction. Your order included five items. For three we made no mention of free or discounted shipping. For two we stated, "Free Shipping (USA)" This specifies, "This item qualifies for free shipping in the contiguous United States," and closes with a link to calculate shipping to other locations.

When you checked out our shipping calculator advised your s&h fee would be the exact same amount you were actually charged. There was no change from the information supplied during checkout before you committed the order and the actual s&h fee applied.

5 items, all in stock... shipped in 3 boxes, the last of which took a week to leave NY. Basically i placed my order on sunday i think, i was expecting all 3 things wednesday... i received one on tuesday, one on wednesday, and the last box... the next monday...

Thats annoying. All the items should of been in 1 box, if not possible, should of been kept together, and even then, theres no excuse for taking a week to drop off the last box...

We received your order 12/8 after 6:30pm NYC time. All three boxes were shipped 12/10. The delay in delivering one was due entirely to the shipper, Purolator, and not to B&H.

We shipped in multiple boxes because one item was a background paper counterweight too large to be packed with other items. Another was a core for background paper, also too large to ride with other items.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

Dec 19, 2012 at 03:42 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password