Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Traveling to India--carry-on wieght for internal flights?

johnsarra
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Traveling to India--carry-on wieght for internal flights?

Anyone have any experience with carry-on camera bags while flying internally in India? I have a TT Airport International and I am sure it would be overweight for the carry-on allowance, which I understand is 8 Kg (17.6 lbs).

As an aside, I went to Peru last year and didn't have a problem. At each boarding the screeners/ticket agents wanted me to check the bag, but after I showed them what was inside they let me carry it on. The operative reason they let me do this is that they recogized the contents were "fragile" (their term).

John

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:22 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Traveling to India--carry-on wieght for internal flights?

You should check the web sites for the airlines you will be using.

Dec 18, 2012 at 04:50 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Traveling to India--carry-on wieght for internal flights?

Agree with Jim. If you happen to be flying on one of the Indian airlines (Air India, Jet Airways), you can likely get away with overweight carryons. Other airlines may be a bit stricter, and the best bet is to check their guidelines and prepare accordingly. Some forum members have posted about wearing some type of photo vest or jacket and putting camera bodies and/or lenses in the pockets to reduce weight in carryons.

Have fun on your trip!

Dec 18, 2012 at 05:48 PM
graham_martin
• • •
p.1 #4 · Traveling to India--carry-on wieght for internal flights?

I just got back from a trip to India (Kochi) which has a 7kg (15lbs) carry-on weight restriction. We flew on Emirates Airlines from DFW to Dubai and then to Kochi. I had an Ape backpack with wheels. It weighed about 17lbs, and I never had any problem. The only challenge I had was on the domestic portion of our trip which took us to DFW where Emirates flies out of. I had a bit of a problem getting the bag to fit in the overhead storage. The Emirates plane was a big wide body with large overhead bins. Emirates never once asked me to check my bag.

Dec 18, 2012 at 05:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

johnsarra
• •
p.1 #5 · Traveling to India--carry-on wieght for internal flights?

Thanks jcolwell and mitesh. Yes I checked the Air India web site and found the weight limitations (8Kg). Hopefully I can get away with it as I did in Peru. If not, then I will put all the non-fragile items like chargers, batteries, ball heads, etc. in my (one underweight) checked bag a few things like CF cards in my pocket and just declare the TT as a second bag (but take on-board). If I really have to I will pay the excess baggage fee. Fortunatly I am taking only one domestic flight and it is at the end of the trip.

Graham--thanks for the reply. BTW I have seen posts about semi-horror stories on Emirates so glad you made out OK.

John

Dec 19, 2012 at 03:51 AM
graham_martin
• • •
p.1 #6 · Traveling to India--carry-on wieght for internal flights?

The only complaint I have about Emirates is how tight the seats are in economy. They probably have the same configuration on all the Boeing 777-LR jets regardless of airline. I also wore a photo vest in which I carried a small MFT camera. Came in handy for in-cabin photos.

Dec 19, 2012 at 03:55 AM
vsg28
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Traveling to India--carry-on wieght for internal flights?

I am in India presently and faced the same situation as you are now. I ended up with a TT Shapeshifter and I am very glad I did that: The bag is small and yet fit all I wanted to take along. This came in very handy when my connecting flight out of Frankfurt was full and people were asked to check in luggage that was still clearly within carry on size. The bag itself also weighs very less and will be easier to justify any small excess weight.

Dec 26, 2012 at 04:04 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password