Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 70-200mm f/4 IS focus slipping?

jasonpatrick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 70-200mm f/4 IS focus slipping?

I recently picked up a 70-200mm f/4 IS used. I got a fairly good price (which motivated my purchase) but ultimately I knew that I would most likely try the lens and then sell it. I just posted it for sale here on FM, and as I always do, I went over the lens exhaustively - way more exhaustively than when I purchased it. I discovered that the autofocus seems to slip when the lens was pointed up or down. Pointed up, it had to work harder going from infinity to close focus and pointed down, it had to work harder going from close to infinity. When it's level, it seems to work fine. I guess I never noticed it because the nature focusing - down usually equals closer focus and up usually equals further focus. Anyway, I immediately withdrew the FS add, but I'm wondering, is this a normal problem? Is it bad to use it like this? I've never heard of this before. Obviously the solution is to send to Canon but I was looking for a bit more information before I send it in. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Dec 17, 2012 at 06:50 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 70-200mm f/4 IS focus slipping?

Don't point it up or down...

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:00 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 70-200mm f/4 IS focus slipping?

but I'm really short....

Jefferson wrote:
Don't point it up or down...

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:06 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 70-200mm f/4 IS focus slipping?

That sounds odd, I've the lens in question, am short as I sit in a wheelchair, and have never had focus slip as you say, I'd send the lens in for a checkup, never had an internal focusing lens kinda 'breathe' on me before...best of luck with it, it's one of my fav lenses.
jerry

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:18 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 70-200mm f/4 IS focus slipping?

I've had this exact thing happen with this lens, as well as 2x with the 135L. In each case, the solution was USM replacement by Canon.

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:42 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 70-200mm f/4 IS focus slipping?

USM replacement. Ugh. What was the ballpark cost for that?

Dec 17, 2012 at 09:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

canon pants
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 70-200mm f/4 IS focus slipping?

Yeah I had the 70-200 f4 non IS with the exact same issue. Was quoted by Canon to change the focus assembly. Can't remember how much the cost was but I ended up selling it as is because it wasn't worth it. Probably 350ish

Dec 17, 2012 at 09:43 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 70-200mm f/4 IS focus slipping?

jasonpatrick wrote:
USM replacement. Ugh. What was the ballpark cost for that?

I'm in Canada and Canon Canada's flat rate repair for this lens is $259 before CPS discount, and USM replacement fell under the flat rate. I would guess the price will be similar from Canon USA.

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:55 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 70-200mm f/4 IS focus slipping?

Thanks for the reply. That's not horrible. I paid 800 for the lens...so after it's all said and done I'll still be under a new price...I will dry my tears and move on.

Dec 18, 2012 at 03:06 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 70-200mm f/4 IS focus slipping?

I sent the lens into Canon and they are going to do the repair at no charge. I don't know if it's because somehow they were able to determine that the lens was still under warranty (I didn't think warranties transferred in any case) or some other reason...but it works for me!

Dec 21, 2012 at 08:25 PM
canon pants
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 70-200mm f/4 IS focus slipping?

jasonpatrick wrote:
I sent the lens into Canon and they are going to do the repair at no charge. I don't know if it's because somehow they were able to determine that the lens was still under warranty (I didn't think warranties transferred in any case) or some other reason...but it works for me!

Good news.

Dec 21, 2012 at 08:32 PM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 70-200mm f/4 IS focus slipping?

Good news on that result.

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:41 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password