Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Macros - New Area for me

BobnJake
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Macros - New Area for me

Went to a seminar over the weekend and saw an interesting area of photography that I would like to possibly get into. I have the Canon 1Dx, what lens would you guys recommend for me, to shoot basically flowers. I would like to do some "multiple exposures", where I can choose how many shots, take them, then let the camera combine them into one composite
Thanks in advance
Bob

Dec 17, 2012 at 06:50 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Macros - New Area for me

Goto macro has to be the 100f2.8L. it has it all , great IS for macro, good prime for portraits, focus speed etc.

Other options are
Tamron 90mmf2.8
Sigma 70mmf12.8, 105mmf2.8, 150mmf2.8 (os variants too).

Canon also do a 50mmf2.5 compact macro that gets 1:2

You will probably need lighting too.

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:15 PM
Monito
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Macros - New Area for me

Get the 100 mm macro, whether it is IS or not. I have the non-IS version (100 mm f/2.8 USM) and it is very sharp, much like the performance of its IS L brother.

100 mm gives you a comfortable working distance: not too close that you disturb insects or get pollen on the lenshood and not so distant that perspective is flattened.

The bigger problem with macro (especially of flowers) is usually subject movement rather camera movement. Depth of field is so critical that you want to be on a tripod anyway to get critical focus. DoF is also so shallow that you want to use a narrow aperture setting like f/16 (f/22 is better if you can accept a touch loss of sharpness due to diffraction) to get as much DoF as you can. That means slow shutterspeeds beyond what IS can give you since you don't want to go too high in ISO for quality shots of flowers in good light (tends to largish dynamic range).

At those kinds of shutterspeeds, any movement due to the slightest breeze is deadly to the photograph. So for very critical work, shield the flower.

Even so, it is possible to make some lovely photographs hand-held. My 100 mm macro is my most frequent walk-around lens these days.

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:32 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Macros - New Area for me

Both the Canon 100mm macros are good, but I found that I like the Zeiss 100 f2 Makro better. The only aspect of the Zeiss that isn't noticeably superior to the Canons is that it shows more purple fringing at wide apertures; but that isn't really a factor in flower photography.

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:41 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Macros - New Area for me

Zeiss is only 1:2 also.

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:48 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Macros - New Area for me

Yes, but I haven't found that to be limiting for flowers...

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:50 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Macros - New Area for me

I would, I've even used extension tubes on standard macro on 18mp aps-c.

IMO 1:2 barely deserves the moniker macro.

Budtastic by robjdickinson, on Flickr

A flower by robjdickinson, on Flickr

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Macros - New Area for me

I've used the EF 100 f2.8 non-L macro for near 15 years; film and digital, and just recently picked up the new L IS version. My physical disability sometimes leaves me with slightly shaky hands and the IS helps a ton.

That said, I see little difference in sharpness between the two lenses. The L IS has better bokeh, it's AF seems just a bit faster IMO and balance is better. If you need the IS and are willing to pay 500 extra for it then get the L, otherwise you might think on getting the non-L, used they are about 400; that's a sweet deal.

I have an 85 f1.8 that I use for portraits a lot, the 100mac with IS makes for a nice portrait lens also...easier for hand holding.

Jerry

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:06 PM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Macros - New Area for me

I would recommend getting a used Tamron 90 mm Macro. Wonderful lens for an inexpensive entry. If you find you like macro then go after a Zeiss 100 mm Makkro - wonderful lens but,it is manual.

If you are serious about macro you will live in live view and with a tripod..

Have fun.

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:16 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Macros - New Area for me

martines34 wrote:
I would recommend getting a used Tamron 90 mm Macro. Wonderful lens for an inexpensive entry. If you find you like macro then go after a Zeiss 100 mm Makkro - wonderful lens but,it is manual.

If you are serious about macro you will live in live view and with a tripod..

Have fun.

Excellent suggestion!

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:29 PM
BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #11 · Macros - New Area for me

Thanks everyone. Gee, looks like B&H has the 100 with rebates. Sounds like an early Christmas present
Thanks again
Bob

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:41 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Macros - New Area for me

1:1 isn't enough for some.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_171617_-1

That, plus focus stacking.

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:32 AM
hatch1921
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Macros - New Area for me

Sigma 180mm macro is fantastic! I just picked up the new Sigma 150mm macro OS and it's another great performer.

I shot with the Canon 100mm macro non "L" for 4 years and for the money you can't go wrong.

For outstanding bokeh... go with the Sigmas All the macro lenses mentioned are sharp.

More images here if you want to have a look.
Best of luck with the your lens choice.
Hatch

http://www.hatch1921.com/arizona-wildflowers/

**images above were with the 180mm**

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:54 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Macros - New Area for me

Love the 180mm! (and the 150, and the 70mm...)

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:59 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password