Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Few gymnastics shots of my daughter from the last meet

dweverett

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Few gymnastics shots of my daughter from the last meet

This is my first post here so a bit of a test to see if I can figure out how to attach a picture as well. She's now competing something called "prep op" which is more laid back than the normal level structure. She's really been enjoying it again -- makes the meets more fun for us too.

C&C welcome

Dec 17, 2012 at 06:46 PM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Few gymnastics shots of my daughter from the last meet

Bill,

Great stuff here! You've obviously been following her through her earlier levels and know how to get shots!

I like the last one most, as it minimizes background distractions. Something not always possible in crowded gyms.

I'm sure some could say that your shots are noisy, lack saturation, need level horizons, blah, blah, blah... But I say you've captured your daughter very nicely - having fun!

Great job!

and BTW... WTF! (Welcome to FredMiranda)

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:55 PM
dweverett

p.1 #3 · Few gymnastics shots of my daughter from the last meet

Hammy wrote:
Bill,

Great stuff here! You've obviously been following her through her earlier levels and know how to get shots!

I like the last one most, as it minimizes background distractions. Something not always possible in crowded gyms.

I'm sure some could say that your shots are noisy, lack saturation, need level horizons, blah, blah, blah... But I say you've captured your daughter very nicely - having fun!

Great job!

and BTW... WTF! (Welcome to FredMiranda)

Thanks. On beam I was able to get in a decent position for the background but on floor there wasn't much I could do. On the noise side, I'm just happy I'm now able to get shots in these conditions (I'm using a D700) I'd have to go back and look but I think that I had to be about ISO 12,800 for the shots on floor. I'm afraid I don't have enough $$ to go up to something that could do better.

The level horizons though I can improve -- and in fact, thought I had tweaked it in edit but obviously that's not the case. I didn't really work on seeing what I could do with the noise or saturation all that much either. Both could probably be improved by someone who knew what they were doing.

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:04 PM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Few gymnastics shots of my daughter from the last meet

Bill,

Noise - to me doesn't matter. Use what you have to get what you can. Noise can be cleaned up in post alot cheaper than a new body! The fact that you pushed the ISO to capture the action is great! Motion blur is alot harder to fix in post!

Horizons - again, for me - a non issue. The bleachers at an askew angle 'look' like the horizon is off - but when actually it's not. It's just the angle that you're looking at them receding in the background.

Colors - are VERY hard to achieve in ambient gym conditions. I've slowly (over 10 years) realized that I can adjust the reds and yellows down, while increasing the overall saturation as well as adding vibrance to get better colors out of my older (mark2n) bodies.

But again, all of the above things are not the 'focus' of getting great shots. Capturing your daughter is! I think you've done an excellent job - I just wanted to warn you that there are alot of what I call 'technical' shooters on the forums that will nit pick at very minor things that really shouldn't matter. Then again, if done constructively, it can help you (and all of us) to improve our craft.

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:52 PM
BlueReptile
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Few gymnastics shots of my daughter from the last meet

Hi Bill,

I think overall you did a find job with these pushing the D700 to ISO8000. We cover this meet on a yearly basis and there is really nothing you can do about the background. With beam you could shoot from a lower angle to get rid off some of the busy stuff but floor is impossible. We were shooting with D3s and D4 at ISO4000 for the beam and ISO8000 for the floor. The lighting at Holyoke Community College is actually decent. We always dial in the color temperature, and I believe we were at around 3450K with a notch or 2 toward magenta.

Hope this helps and stop and say hi next time you see us at the meet.

-John

A few shots from a different perspective...

Dec 17, 2012 at 09:42 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Few gymnastics shots of my daughter from the last meet

Take it from a guy who couldn't go more than 5 steps on a railroad track. I find it incomprehensible that someone could actually balance on a beam, let alone do all those flips and turns.

Dec 18, 2012 at 01:01 AM
dweverett

p.1 #7 · Few gymnastics shots of my daughter from the last meet

BlueReptile wrote:
Hi Bill,

I think overall you did a find job with these pushing the D700 to ISO8000. We cover this meet on a yearly basis and there is really nothing you can do about the background. With beam you could shoot from a lower angle to get rid off some of the busy stuff but floor is impossible. We were shooting with D3s and D4 at ISO4000 for the beam and ISO8000 for the floor. The lighting at Holyoke Community College is actually decent. We always dial in the color temperature, and I believe we were at around 3450K with a
...Show more

John,

Wow -- I can't decide if I should be more impressed with your photography or library management skills. You folks must have taken what, 25,000 shots from that one meet alone?

Thanks for the feeback. I'm not sure if it was you or one of the other photographers but I did get a chance to talk to someone before last year's Whip City meet at Westfield State during the setup. I had borrowed a friends D3s and you (or someone) was giving me advice on settings.

Agree with you on the lighting being (relatively) good at the Thompsons meet. That and the Whip City meet are usually the best all year -- especially if it's during the day where there is some natural light coming in through the transom windows. Unfortunately with the shots above, it was night so we didn't have that benefit.

The best I've ever seen was last year's state meet. Can't remember the high school though I think Algonquin was either part of the name or location. Relatively small, well lit with high windows and bright white walls to reflect.

See you at the Whip City meet next month
Bill

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Geoffrey Bolte
• • •
p.1 #8 · Few gymnastics shots of my daughter from the last meet

Bill, that was actually me who you talked to at the Whip City meet, that was a nice one, had some great light for portions of the day!!

I was supposed to be scheduled to be at the THI, but John decided I was needed at another meet! Would have been good to see you again. I'm sure later on this year we will run into each other as the meet season has just started.

Some nice looking shots, tough backgrounds at THI, as John stated with the beam shoot a little lower, I know when I shot there the last few years I would be on the left side of the beam, shooting into the wall.

For the floor, its tough as sometimes the levels decide where you need to shoot from to get the peak action...

Good luck to you and your daughter the rest of the year! See you soon

Dec 18, 2012 at 01:56 PM
BlueReptile
• • •
p.1 #9 · Few gymnastics shots of my daughter from the last meet

dweverett wrote:
...You folks must have taken what, 25,000 shots from that one meet alone?

...See you at the Whip City meet next month
Bill

Between myself and beam shooter we ended up with a little below 35k shots at this meet. It's an average meet and for bigger meets we usually end up with 120k or more over a 3 day weekend between 4 or more shooters...

We're covering Whip City next month, but you will see a different John there. John Pinette shoots with a 1DX and is a wealth of knowledge as well. Hit him up for some tips

Dec 18, 2012 at 02:34 PM
dweverett

p.1 #10 · Few gymnastics shots of my daughter from the last meet

Hammy wrote:
Bill,

Noise - to me doesn't matter. Use what you have to get what you can. Noise can be cleaned up in post alot cheaper than a new body! The fact that you pushed the ISO to capture the action is great! Motion blur is alot harder to fix in post!

Horizons - again, for me - a non issue. The bleachers at an askew angle 'look' like the horizon is off - but when actually it's not. It's just the angle that you're looking at them receding in the background.

Colors - are VERY hard to achieve in ambient gym conditions.
...Show more

Hammy,

Thanks again for the feedback & support. I'm okay with feedback on the technical side as well -- I'm coming from DPR so I'm familiar with how it's sometimes presented.

I'll have to try playing with the individual color channels and see what I can do to improve the saturation. I've only done that on some of the landscape shots I've taken and even then, it's pretty rare.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:38 AM
dweverett

p.1 #11 · Few gymnastics shots of my daughter from the last meet

runamuck wrote:
Take it from a guy who couldn't go more than 5 steps on a railroad track. I find it incomprehensible that someone could actually balance on a beam, let alone do all those flips and turns.

Seriously. I'm the same way. I'll catch myself having a conversation with someone mentioning how it wasn't her best meet etc. Like I could do any of it. I'm to the point where I not only can't touch my toes I can barely manage to touch my knees

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:41 AM
dweverett

p.1 #12 · Few gymnastics shots of my daughter from the last meet

We're covering Whip City next month, but you will see a different John there. John Pinette shoots with a 1DX and is a wealth of knowledge as well. Hit him up for some tips

Great. I've seen some of the pictures he's posted here as well -- fantastic shots

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:43 AM
dweverett

p.1 #13 · Few gymnastics shots of my daughter from the last meet

Geoffrey Bolte wrote:
Bill, that was actually me who you talked to at the Whip City meet, that was a nice one, had some great light for portions of the day!!

Good luck to you and your daughter the rest of the year! See you soon

Thanks -- look forward to seeing you again as well.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:45 AM
Geoffrey Bolte
• • •
p.1 #14 · Few gymnastics shots of my daughter from the last meet

dweverett wrote:
The best I've ever seen was last year's state meet. Can't remember the high school though I think Algonquin was either part of the name or location. Relatively small, well lit with high windows and bright white walls to reflect.

Bill

Yeah Algonquin Regional High School is pretty nice, its always nice when I get to shoot a HS meet there as I know the light will be decent whether during the day or at night. Let alone I know we have a meet there beginning of January as well.

Dec 19, 2012 at 04:18 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password