Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2012 · Fuji GSW690III

andyjaggy82
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · Fuji GSW690III

I did some trickery and chopped up one of the negatives and stuck it in a 35mm slide casing and scanned it on my coolscan. I was a bit disappointed that it actually didn't seem to pull much more information than the noritsu scan. Detail was about the same, even though the coolscan was about 2x as much resolution 4000dpi, vs the 2000dpi noritsu scan. However Shadow detail was much improved on the coolscan.

It probably also isn't a fair comparison, I got fingerprints on the film while doing this, and it probably wasn't laying very flat in the slide casing.

I'm not sure what course to take from here.

1)I just have the lab give me a CD with each roll of film. It was 11 dollars for the chrome developing and the CD. The images on the CD are 37mp and as stated above, of pretty decent quality. When I had a keeper I wanted to do some serious work on and possibly print, I would send that frame off to get professionally scanned.

2) I buy an epson v750 and learn to get the most out of the equipment. I have the lab just develop the film and not give me scans, this would save me about 5 dollars a roll. The cost of the 750 would cover about 150 rolls getting scanned on the noritsu. That's a lot of film. Again I would send select frames off to get professionally scanned.

3)I save up an buy a used nikon coolscan 9000 or something similar. Probably would cost about 2-3 grand for this option. The quality would probably be good enough that I might not need to send film off for drumscans when I want to do prints.

I have no idea how to proceed. I am leaning towards option 1.

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:15 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.5 #2 · Fuji GSW690III

Well, what are your needs like? The Coolscan is better than the V750, but not worlds better, just incrementally better. Each better option along the line costs a lot more. The Coolscan is about 4x the price of the V750, and with a bit of care and some aftermarkets holders, the V700 is also good. Scanning is a lot of work, I guess only you can decide how far you want to take it, money- and time-wise. FWIW I stopped at the V750. I would love a Coolscan, but seeing the difference in the scan doesn't make it seem worth so much extra money. Anyway, the more expensive options will always be there, so you can start low and move up as you find it necessary. If you win the lottery, buy a Hasselblad scanner.

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:22 PM
luminosity
• • • •
p.5 #3 · Fuji GSW690III

I wouldn't pay that much for a Coolscan now. They're all aging and not really serviceable. They're also very expensive.

I would go with an Epson V750. A friend of mine shoots all color 120 film and gets really nice results with a 750 (and a 700 before it). You can get a glass carrier to help with film flatness.

I'm in a fortunate position myself-- I have a Flextight I that I can use and smart, experienced people around me who help me with editing my files. One of my final prints this past semester was from a 750 scan, which turned out better than any of the Flextight scans. I don't know why that was, but it worked and it printed well at 16x20.

I can't imagine giving up control over scanning and editing at this point. I would never rely on someone else for anything more than basic scans, which I think of as the equivalent of contact sheets or prints.

It would be nice if the Plustek 120 scanner became a reality so we could see what it can do.

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:26 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.5 #4 · Fuji GSW690III

Expired film needs more exposure as it ages.

Jan 06, 2013 at 10:47 PM
mirkoc
• • •
p.5 #5 · Fuji GSW690III

andyjaggy82 wrote:
I'm not sure what course to take from here.

1)I just have the lab give me a CD with each roll of film. It was 11 dollars for the chrome developing and the CD. The images on the CD are 37mp and as stated above, of pretty decent quality. When I had a keeper I wanted to do some serious work on and possibly print, I would send that frame off to get professionally scanned.

That is a great price for development and so detailed scan!

2) I buy an epson v750 and learn to get the most out of the equipment. I have the lab just develop the film and not give me scans, this would save me about 5 dollars a roll. The cost of the 750 would cover about 150 rolls getting scanned on the noritsu. That's a lot of film. Again I would send select frames off to get professionally scanned.

I guess I would be inclined for it too.

3)I save up an buy a used nikon coolscan 9000 or something similar. Probably would cost about 2-3 grand for this option. The quality would probably be good enough that I might not need to send film off for drumscans when I want to do prints.

I guess I would skip this due to the initial cost.

I have no idea how to proceed. I am leaning towards option 1.

The most important thing would be to enjoy the process and not be turned off if it turns up to be too complicated (due to the time investment).

Jan 06, 2013 at 10:58 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #6 · Fuji GSW690III

Nikon will still service the Coolscan 9000 as well as the 8000 if they have the parts for the latter.

They need to birth that thing already! How long can it gestate?

Jan 06, 2013 at 11:00 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.5 #7 · Fuji GSW690III

I am thinking of selling my coolscan V, since I really don't have much use for scanning 35mm anymore, and using that money to invest in a 750.

Jan 07, 2013 at 05:00 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.5 #8 · Fuji GSW690III

The main reason for the price difference between the V700 and V750 is the included scanning software. There have been several detailed reviews of the two scanners themselves and no-one has found any difference in IQ.

I would recommend buying the V700...and dumping the included film holders for a third party product...made in the USA as it happens!!. The name escapes me at the moment but people who use it swear by it. That will make the difference.

The Epson scanner software is not bad...one just has to learn to use it properly (for example, with some B+W emulsions....scanning using colour settings gives better results).

As it happens, I have just done a 35mm scan with my V700 and printed it to A4....lovely print....I could easily have done an A3 (as I regularly do from 35mm). A scan from a 6X9 neg would be spectacular at A2 if the 35mm result was proportioned up.....

Jan 08, 2013 at 01:44 AM
luminosity
• • • •
p.5 #9 · Fuji GSW690III

There's more to the 750 than just the software (which is the same as the 700, so far as Epson's goes). The glass is apparently different as well, though it may just be the coating that changed. Something like that. It goes past the software side for sure, though.

I'm sure Anthony is thinking of the film holders available from betterscanning.com.

Jan 08, 2013 at 01:51 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #10 · Fuji GSW690III

Speaking of which - anyone interested in buying my betterscan holders (35mm & 120) and ANR glass inserts? I just don't use them enough anymore. If so, shoot me a pm.

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:15 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

andyjaggy82
• • •
p.5 #11 · Fuji GSW690III

I'm also toying with the idea of just using my macro and light table, buying some focusing rails and "scanning" with my 7D. I figure 4 shots per 6x9 and stitching would get most everything out of the film...

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:28 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.5 #12 · Fuji GSW690III

luminosity wrote:
There's more to the 750 than just the software (which is the same as the 700, so far as Epson's goes). The glass is apparently different as well, though it may just be the coating that changed. Something like that. It goes past the software side for sure, though.

I'm sure Anthony is thinking of the film holders available from betterscanning.com.

The glass is supposedly anti reflective or something so enabling a better transmission of light to the sensors....no reviews found any evidence of this happening. 'Better scanning' sort of rings a bell....and the V750 has much more software than the basic Epson scan stuff...about 150 worth as I recall....

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:49 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.5 #13 · Fuji GSW690III

Gary Clennan wrote:
Speaking of which - anyone interested in buying my betterscan holders (35mm & 120) and ANR glass inserts? I just don't use them enough anymore. If so, shoot me a pm.

If this were a UK offer you would have some takers I think..if the price was right!!

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:51 AM
luminosity
• • • •
p.5 #14 · Fuji GSW690III

I've used both the 700 and the 750 and there's nothing different between the two. The Epson software downloads are the same.

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:53 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.5 #15 · Fuji GSW690III

luminosity wrote:
I've used both the 700 and the 750 and there's nothing different between the two. The Epson software downloads are the same.

The software package is different (at least in the UK) ..it comes with the pro Silverfast scanning software and calibration charts etc.

Jan 08, 2013 at 03:01 AM
luminosity
• • • •
p.5 #16 · Fuji GSW690III

Nothing like that here.

Jan 08, 2013 at 03:21 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.5 #17 · Fuji GSW690III

luminosity wrote:
Nothing like that here.

If we are paying similar prices for the V750 but UK customers get the additional software it would be a first time ever Epson gave a better deal to UK customers compared to USA offerings.

But I bet you are paying a lot less...the V700 probably cost us more than the V750 cost you there....

Jan 08, 2013 at 04:35 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.5 #18 · Fuji GSW690III

luminosity wrote:

Doesn't the lens assembly also auto-focus, and in the V700 it is fixed height, or something like that?

We also get Silverfast here in Germany, with the V750.

Jan 08, 2013 at 08:54 AM
luminosity
• • • •
p.5 #19 · Fuji GSW690III

There's definitely no autofocus with any Epson scanner. They all use fixed lenses and heights. I've used the V500, 600, 700 and 750.

Jan 08, 2013 at 09:01 AM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password