Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Canon or Nikon for weddings

EOSDNG
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon or Nikon for weddings

I am long time Canon shooter and I do mostly shoot weddings in low light without flash.
So far I used the 5Dmk II (nearly 3 years old). The 5Dmk III is no option for me, because much to expensive, no sealing, and I do not see the main benefit, beside the AF, to the 5Dmk II.
So I am seriously thinking about switching to Nikon and the D800.
Anyone using the D800 for weddings?

Dec 17, 2012 at 04:30 PM
bwield
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon or Nikon for weddings

I use Nikon (700's not 800's). But I could use Canon.

For the majority I think it really does not matter.

Dec 17, 2012 at 04:36 PM
cbradio09
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon or Nikon for weddings

what do you take better pics with? for the years i worked at a local camera store people asked the same question. my answer was always the same;

Whatever you can take the best pictures with.

With things being mostly equal except for a few small details. Unless canon is driving you insane, its probably fiscally irresponsible to change as well as a giant hassle not worth the effort.

why not buy up a lot of cheap used 5d2's?

Dec 17, 2012 at 04:44 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon or Nikon for weddings

hahah... get out your flame suit people.

To the OP, it doesn't matter - really. Both are very strong systems and you can do wonderfully with either. Your skill, style, and personal vision is going to matter so much more than the difference in either of these camera brands.

Now if you were comparing Nikon with Pentax the answer would be different, but I digress.

Dec 17, 2012 at 04:46 PM
eNoBlog
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon or Nikon for weddings

It-does-not-matter.

Both systems are great and in the right hands produce amazing results. Pick one and don't look back.

Dec 17, 2012 at 04:48 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon or Nikon for weddings

I use Canon...

The reason I use Canon is because it was the first camera I ever used, and I have been using them for about 12 years. Nothing scientific to it.

Dec 17, 2012 at 05:12 PM
MattSepeta
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon or Nikon for weddings

Canon because I like buying gear used and there is more Canon equipment in circulation.

Also because nikon is for wusses

Dec 17, 2012 at 05:12 PM
eNoBlog
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon or Nikon for weddings

joelconner wrote:
The reason I use Canon is because it was the first camera I ever used, and I have been using them for about 12 years. Nothing scientific to it.

Exactly. I bet if most of us get out of fandom mode will honestly say we prefer and/or use one system over the other simply because "that's what we grew up with." IOW, it comes down to experience-based preference.

Dec 17, 2012 at 05:28 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon or Nikon for weddings

joelconner wrote:
I use Canon...

I have a similar story. I bought my first DSLR in 2003. At that time, I thought the Canon 10D was a better camera than the Nikon D100. I found a good deal on a refurbished 10D, so I bought it. The rest is history.

Dec 17, 2012 at 05:29 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon or Nikon for weddings

I've used both systems. I've just stuck with Canon because it was my first real camera. An Elan 7n. When I made the switch to digital I grabbed a 20D because I already had Canon lenses. Just kept with it due to familiarity.

When my 5Dmk2 and most of my canon lenses were stolen I was going to make the switch to Nikon having owned a D2X for a brief period of time and liking it. But the Japan Quake/Tsunami hit and you couldn't find a D700 anywhere. So I picked up another 5Dmk2 out of necessity (at an inflated price of $2700, ugh) and started lens collecting all over again.

Dec 17, 2012 at 05:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon or Nikon for weddings

I am surprised you would not want to upgrade the 5DII to either of the newer models. Both Canon 5DIII and Nikon D800 have a much better high ISO quality than the 5DII which was top quality untill the newer models arrived. They give amazing results. Just makes the low light shoots easier and better looking. Also the dual card for back-up is good for weddings.

Dec 17, 2012 at 05:44 PM
paregorike
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon or Nikon for weddings

Dual card slots and the AF improvement for the 5D Mark III. I shoot primarily on the Canon system because of the 1.2 and F2 (135) lenses (esp. the 50 1.2). I've used the D800 and it works fine for weddings, just be ready for the huge file sizes. Two weddings ago I used the 5D Mark III and D800. The UWA I had was only the 14-24 so I sort of thought I needed to bring the D800. My assistant had a 5D Mark II so, i in case my 5D III broke hers would have been my spare.

Anyway, either system would work. If you are heavily invested in Canon lenses, then stay Canon. They had crazy deals recently on the 5D Mark III which made me want to puke, since I paid a premium for an early adopter.

R-

Dec 17, 2012 at 05:55 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon or Nikon for weddings

Another great feature of the 5DIII is being able to shoot in 'silent' mode. Not really silent, but pretty damn quiet. Very unobtrusive during a quiet ceremony.

Dec 17, 2012 at 05:57 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon or Nikon for weddings

It all depends on the first camera you happen to buy. 99% of people just stick with what they're familiar with. Both systems are perfectly capable of delivering amazing results under the right situations.

That said, each brand certainly has things they do better. (Until the D800) Canon was decidedly better for landscape, architectural, product, (stationary subjects) and their color might be a bit better, also their sRAW file format is a HUGE plus for their users. Nikon however has an advantage on AF, especially in poor lighting, and their menu and button layout are a lot more user friendly.

Like almost everything else in life... tomayto, tomahto.

Dec 17, 2012 at 06:04 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon or Nikon for weddings

"Not any of the above"

Dec 17, 2012 at 06:06 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon or Nikon for weddings

I hate when people ask me this question. Just the other day I had someone say... hey I'm getting a new camera for Christmas. What should I get?......

My response, get the best camera you can afford and learn how to use it inside and out. That is the camera that will take the best pictures.

With that said. i shoot Nikon. I have shot Canon and a lot of other brands too. I started on Nikon and went Canon because I was curious. Then their craptastic flash system got to me and pushed me back to Nikon. One thing I wish I could have is 1.2 lenses on Nikon. But hey, 1.8 and 1.4 are good enough with the great high ISO Nikon has.

Right now we are rockin Nikon's for weddings and portrait work. Fuji pro for personal work and some paid jobs and we have a film project we are doing that we are using some Medium and large format on.

So yea, use whats best for you. Any decent photographer can pick up a Canon, Nikon Fuji or whatever and get a decent photo. They are just tools.

Dec 17, 2012 at 06:27 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon or Nikon for weddings

paparazzinick wrote:
Any decent photographer can pick up a Canon, Nikon Fuji or whatever and get a decent photo. They are just tools.

This is really the bottom line in this thread. If I switched to Nikon today, my photos would be exactly the same.

With that said (and I say this objectively), if I were starting from scratch today and building a WEDDING kit, I'd buy a 5d3. Canon hit an absolute homerun for WEDDING shooters with this camera. While the Nikon D800 is truly an amazing camera, it just isnt right for event photographers with its massive files.

But then again, give me a D800 and a few extra harddrives and my images would be just fine. Have fun!

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:14 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon or Nikon for weddings

EOSDNG wrote:
I am long time Canon shooter and I do mostly shoot weddings in low light without flash.
So far I used the 5Dmk II (nearly 3 years old). The 5Dmk III is no option for me, because much to expensive, no sealing, and I do not see the main benefit, beside the AF, to the 5Dmk II.
So I am seriously thinking about switching to Nikon and the D800.
Anyone using the D800 for weddings?

You don't see the benefit because you have not used one....

On paper, the mkIII does not appear to be a big upgrade, in real practical use... it is a HUGE upgrade.

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:40 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon or Nikon for weddings

Like most folks above, I am using Canon only because my first SLR was a Canon EOS. It just went from there. Both systems are great. I have used Nikons a few times. Personally I don't have the time to switch systems.

I find current gen of Nikons seem to have awkward buttons placement that results to quirky ergonomics. Maybe it's me. But All Time Nikon Fanboy Ken Rockwell confirmed my experience too. I want tools that does not hamper me especially in fast changing situations.

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:03 PM
ZachOly
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon or Nikon for weddings

Didn't I hear that Canon has better highlight recovery than Nikon? To me, that's more important than shadow recovery.

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:08 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password