Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Who's jumping on the D600 for your wedding work?

NathanHamler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Who's jumping on the D600 for your wedding work?

+1 for the tiny AF spread...i'm coming from DX, D7k and D300's, and the af points go ALLLLL they way to the edges....to me even a D700/D3 doesn't go far enough to the edges, although it is better than a D600...I USED to focus and recompose, Center point, in AF-S mode....i missed a lot of shots that way....so i went to AF-C, and move the focus point around, sometimes using 9 point dynamic, and i've had better luck being able to capture like spontaneous / candid moments, where i would otherwise miss in the process of focus/recompose, or i would capture, but the center AF point went straight to the background, when the subject wasn't centered...

Obviously reception work is all center point, AF-S with AF assist...which you kinda have to shoot focus and recompose...

but with the D600 focus points all right in the middle, you're basically stuck with focus and recompose...good luck shooting wafer thin DOF when you're having to focus and then move the camera...not for me.... unfortunately it's a MASSIVE deal breaker for me..

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:01 AM
eNoBlog
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Who's jumping on the D600 for your wedding work?

Ryan Brenizer just posted his D600 review. In case you don't know him, he's a wedding photog in the NY city area.

Dec 20, 2012 at 06:02 PM
eephoto
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Who's jumping on the D600 for your wedding work?

I find this topic very interesting! I use the D3s for weddings but dang it all, that thing is way too heavy for me and my 70-200! ! (I LOVE THE D3S don't get me wrong though). But really it's given me bad tennis elbow that I haven't been able to shake for almost 5 months now. So I'm in the market for a lighter back up to go to when the arm wants to give up. I was looking at buying a used D700 but if the price keeps dropping on the D600 I may go for that!

Dec 20, 2012 at 06:08 PM
roland hale
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Who's jumping on the D600 for your wedding work?

eNoBlog wrote:
Ryan Brenizer just posted his D600 review. In case you don't know him, he's a wedding photog in the NY city area.

Good stuff, thanks for the heads up! I've been checking back for weeks waiting to see it.

Dec 28, 2012 at 03:10 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Who's jumping on the D600 for your wedding work?

eephoto wrote:
I'm in the market for a lighter back up to go to when the arm wants to give up. I was looking at buying a used D700 but if the price keeps dropping on the D600 I may go for that!

I didn't really notice much difference in the weight of the D800 as compared to the D600 but the grip is nicer on the 800.

Somewhere recently - might have been on a Miranda forum - I saw where some guy was saying he shot with the 600 for a while and his hand ended up getting sore! Personally I haven't worked with the camera but just from holding it I could imagine how soreness could set it. The grip doesn't stand out that far from the body so you end up not grasping the camera's grip with your whole palm. Instead, you're clenching onto the camera with your fingertips.

And an add-on battery grip is not going to help the situation. The problem isn't the pinky sliding off the bottom of the camera. It's the grip not being beefy and allowing you a firm grasp with your whole palm - unless you have very small hands. A petite chick might get away with it.

Dec 28, 2012 at 03:46 AM
LivLif
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Who's jumping on the D600 for your wedding work?

When I had a D800 my only gripe was the ergonomics. THEY SUCK! Shooting with it always caused soreness in my hand. If the ergonomics on the D600 are worse I could never imagine shooting a wedding with it.

Dec 28, 2012 at 03:57 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Who's jumping on the D600 for your wedding work?

LivLif wrote:
When I had a D800 my only gripe was the ergonomics.

What are you shooting with now?

Dec 28, 2012 at 06:27 PM
LivLif
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Who's jumping on the D600 for your wedding work?

D. Diggler wrote:
What are you shooting with now?

D4 - Main
D700 - Backup

the D700 usually stays in the bag as I only shoot with one body plus a lens bag.

Dec 28, 2012 at 08:32 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Who's jumping on the D600 for your wedding work?

LivLif wrote:
D4 - Main

Sweet! I wish I had one.

I used to shoot with the D3S. Now that's a camera with a big grip. I heard they designed the D3S so that you could shoot it while wearing gloves at the Winter Olympics and so forth. Think I heard the D4 grip is maybe a touch smaller than than D3S.

Dec 28, 2012 at 09:42 PM
LivLif
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Who's jumping on the D600 for your wedding work?

D. Diggler wrote:
Sweet! I wish I had one.

I used to shoot with the D3S. Now that's a camera with a big grip. I heard they designed the D3S so that you could shoot it while wearing gloves at the Winter Olympics and so forth. Think I heard the D4 grip is maybe a touch smaller than than D3S.

Yeah I used to shoot with the D3S too. The D4 grip is much better. It fits in my palm like a glove. Its perfect. Best ergonomics ever!

Dec 28, 2012 at 09:47 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Who's jumping on the D600 for your wedding work?

LivLif wrote:
The D4 grip is much better. ... Its perfect. Best ergonomics ever!

Don't rub it in.

I was never in love with the D3S grip but it worked. I can much easier work with a too-large grip than one that's too small.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:44 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Who's jumping on the D600 for your wedding work?

This is what happens when Nikon n got lazy/cheap by tidying in a DX AF system on large ff sensor. This result in a cluster fcuk of AF points in the middle. I feel the smaller size and ergonomics more concerning.

Dec 30, 2012 at 05:27 PM
rodmcwha
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Who's jumping on the D600 for your wedding work?

I know this is off topic-but papparaznic, what do you think apprehends means?

Dec 30, 2012 at 05:34 PM
eNoBlog
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Who's jumping on the D600 for your wedding work?

roland hale wrote:
Good stuff, thanks for the heads up! I've been checking back for weeks waiting to see it.

Great! BTW, if you want to see how it does for other types of event/portrait shooting, including with the lowly 24-85G, check out
my ongoing sample set...

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Tajmul12345

p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Who's jumping on the D600 for your wedding work?

I captures by D700 for wedding ,i used it long times and it is so nice.

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:31 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.