Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Making large prints with upsized images?

rt007
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Making large prints with upsized images?

Hello all.

I have been looking for a good way of Upsizing images for large prints and found this video on youtube.

Is this 10% Method a good way to upsize or is there a better way?

Thanks

Dec 17, 2012 at 02:35 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Making large prints with upsized images?

Photoshop's built in algorithms are now much more advanced than the old 10% stairstep interpolation method. If your native resolution for printing is 180dpi or better, you may not need to upscale your images at all.

Dec 17, 2012 at 01:45 PM
rt007
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Making large prints with upsized images?

My camera raw settings are 300 dpi and with an uppscale to maximum file size there, how much could I push the files in PS?
How much resolution do I need for large prints?

Earlier I have done a 70cm x 100cm from one single D3 file, with maximum file size out of camera raw and then used crop tool in PS without typing in any resolution. That gave me an output of about 120 dpi.
To me, that image looked really good and tack sharp. I have no comparison so I am not shure how good these large prints can be.

Share your thoughts and experienses

Thanks

Dec 17, 2012 at 02:51 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Making large prints with upsized images?

Your camera raw ppi is a completely arbitrary and useless number. 180 ppi is considered a minimum by many people but as you discovered it is subjective and lower can be acceptable. I would upres to at least 180 ppi just to make sure stair-stepping is kept to a minimum in the print. There are to acceptable theory's to printing first if you have between 180-420 ppi in your intended print size the send it to the printer and be done with it. The other is to up or down res your picture to the native print resolution of your printer 360 ppi for epson and 300 ppi for canon, and 300 ppi is often assumed for print sent out. Personally I use the second method for anything I intend to be framed.

Photoshop's algorithms for up-res are as good up to about 4x the original size after that a third party application may do a little better.

Dec 17, 2012 at 04:07 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Making large prints with upsized images?

What is acceptable is in the eye of the beholder. There have been a number of discussions as to what is possible:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1162064/0#11082531

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:48 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Making large prints with upsized images?

I literally think there is a discussion on this topic about every week.. at least.....

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:27 PM
ripkoken
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Making large prints with upsized images?

Make your image a smart object and you shouldn't have any trouble.

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:57 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.