Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

Breitling65
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

PetKal wrote:
Petkal's protective filter rules:
(1) All lenses must be provisioned with filters.
(2) Filters must be of the best kind, such as B+W MRC.
(3) Filters must be screwed onto the lens just to the point where thread stop resistance begins to be felt. That is before you'd be able to screw in the filter "finger tight".
"Finger tight" is too tight already.

As a result, I've never had a problem of any sort related to this matter.

+1, all above is true. Same never.

Dec 18, 2012 at 03:09 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

Monito's Filter Rules:

0) The best filter for protection is the opaque one commonly known as "lens cap".

1) Use a lens hood to protect the lens when the opaque protective filter must be removed.

2) Never use so-called 'protective' (clear) or UV filters for digital, except ...

2b) Use protective filters when photographing in the middle of a riot involving liquids (drunks, for example) or a sandstorm or a projectile fight (paintball) or close to ocean spray or other severe hazardous duty.

2b1) Some Canon L lenses only become properly weather-sealed when a filter is attached to the front. If the weather is that wet (strong stormy wind-driven rain), it counts as hazardous duty (see 2b).

2c) Clear or UV filters can only reduce colour contrast (never improve it) and sometimes introduce extra flare. These effects are almost never desirable.

2d) UV and 1A (pale straw yellow) filters have a place for film.

3) Almost always the only filters needed are Circular Polarizers and one or more Neutral Density filters.

3b) There are very expensive ($300 each, appr.) filters available that have very sharp strong cutoffs against both InfraRed (IR) and UltraViolet (UV) light. These may be useful for critical portraiture, catalog, and scientific work.

3c) The filter effects commonly used for film can almost all be easily done with White Balancing or Tint in Raw conversion or post-processing.

4) Use multi-exposure HDR techniques in preference to Gradated Neutral Density (GND) filters whenever possible which is almost always.

4b) Use the correct spelling for Gradated (derived from "grade" meaning slope or smooth change); not "Graduated" which means "marked" or "calibrated" as in a graduated cylinder for measuring liquids.

4b1) Do not fret when most people use the "graduated" term.

5) Screw round filters on slightly less than "finger tight" (nearly tight).

6) Don't bother with cumbersome filter holders for square filters unless the lens has no screw on filter mount.

7) Buy the best quality filters that can be afforded: B+W, Heliopan, top of the line super-multicoated Hoyas. Avoid Tiffen (gel sandwiched in two glass pieces), Canon, low-cost Hoyas, etc. Nikons are mid-range. Marumi filters are a new line and are developing a good reputation for value.

I've never had a stuck filter that I could not remove with ordinary means (no hacksaws or glass-breaking).

By the way, the recommendations to apply a bit of oil or grease are good and I may start using them. A bit of oil wiped from the top surface of the nose should work when better lubricants are not available.

Dec 18, 2012 at 03:42 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

Some filters or lens threads are not cut quite right and will bind occasionally despite best efforts. I've always been able to remove a filter with a rubber tool, expect on one lens that suffered impact damage.

EBH

Dec 18, 2012 at 04:14 AM
ospishus
• •
p.2 #4 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

I sometimes have a problem with stuck filters on my 10-22 with the hood stored in reversed position and found that simply taking off the hood releases the squeeze enough that it comes off normally. Who'd of thought that would make the differnce!

Dec 19, 2012 at 05:13 PM
firstgear99
• •
p.2 #5 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

mco_970 wrote:
Or a super tiny teensy bit of Chapstick to wax the threads. Also fixes hard to put on lens hoods, and zippers that stick.

I saw someone once suggested oils from around your nose as a good way to lubricate on and off with the filter. I did that by taking my finger and rubbing the lower sides of my nose and then applied that to the threads.....worked real well, the filter screwed on very easy where the dry threads were a bit of a pain.

Dec 19, 2012 at 05:52 PM
Tim ONeill
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

Adorama sells a pair of thin tough plastic "filter wrenches" for $7.00. I have seen them used, and they work quite well. Also fit in a camera bag and weigh nothing, and take up no room. I do have my own set now, and hope not to ever need them.

Dec 19, 2012 at 08:59 PM
Chris Tylko
• • •
p.2 #7 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

Folks...the absolute BEST tool for removing filters is one of those cotton gloves with a thin rubber coated palm. You place your palm flat against the filter and turn and voila! (Don't squeeze or grab the filter sides).

The problem with filters is that they go "out of round" when you grab them by their sides...even with an elastic band...and that's what usually makes them difficult to remove.

I always keep a pair of these gloves in my camera bag...and I often keep them on to get a better grip on the camera, tripod and other gear. Oh and they can keep your hands a little warmer.

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:34 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.2 #8 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

Grrr.. I now have a stuck B+W CPL on my 70-200 II and no amount of rubber band/glove trickery works. I am considering one of those filter wrenches but really hope I won't have to resort to this.

Anyone had this issue where neither the filter nor the polarizing part turns? With some effort, I can turn the polarizing part but nowhere as smoothly as how it should be. I don't see any cross-threading, but it could be a small cross-thread that is invisible to me. I did not over-tighten the filter, and it is the F-Pro version.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:39 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.2 #9 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

vsg28 wrote:
Grrr.. I now have a stuck B+W CPL on my 70-200 II and no amount of rubber band/glove trickery works. I am considering one of those filter wrenches but really hope I won't have to resort to this.

Anyone had this issue where neither the filter nor the polarizing part turns? With some effort, I can turn the polarizing part but nowhere as smoothly as how it should be. I don't see any cross-threading, but it could be a small cross-thread that is invisible to me. I did not over-tighten the filter, and it is the F-Pro version.

Whoops! Minor surgery is required. I always recommend to try harder. Once a filter is (seemingly) stuck don't be gentle, get thing damned thing off! Good luck.

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:47 AM
outlawyer
• • •
p.2 #10 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

Never had one that two filter wrenches and two rubber bands couldn't dislodge.

Chap stick on the threads works great as an anti-seize compound, as was previously mentioned.

Dec 20, 2012 at 04:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

harrygilbert
• • •
p.2 #11 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

Lotuselite wrote:
If the filter is just too tight,(IE not deformed by impact etc,) and the rubber band etc. does not work these are available and may do the trick.
Your local camera shop may have them and help you out.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=filter+wrench&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

I bought a pair and glued them together. One alone was too flimsy to remove a 77mm filter. Put a rubber band around the stuck filter and used the glued filter wrenches.

Dec 23, 2012 at 04:10 AM
ggreene
• • •
p.2 #12 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

I've never actually had a filter lock up on me that wasn't damaged. Granted I do buy the better quality ones. The only time it happened was when my camera was knocked out of my hands and landed on the rim of a B+W filter bending it inward and locking up the threads. I had to get a pair of pliers and gently bend it back to release the pressure point on the lens threads. A rubber glove was then able to twist it off. No damage to the lens.

Yes, yes, I know I should have had my lens hood on.

Dec 23, 2012 at 06:15 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.2 #13 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

I occasionally find a used lens with a stuck filter. My filter wrench from Micro Tools loosens them very easily. I've even loosened ones that were dented, it applies enough force to straighten the lens threads enough to let the filter screw off.

Apparently, they don't sell that design any longer.

Rubber bands occasionally work as well, just don't squeeze te filter out of round when using a rubber band.

Dec 24, 2012 at 09:59 PM
pingflood
• • •
p.2 #14 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

The couple of times I have had to deal with stuck filters (on older used lenses, never use 'em myself) I managed to take two small screwdrivers and unscrew the inner ring that holds the glass in place, then remove the glass, and finally twist the actual filter ring inwards with pliars until I could remove it.

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:09 PM
RonR2
• •
p.2 #15 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

A cone shaped rubber jar lid removal tool that your wife has in the kitchen drawer works mighty fine.

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:26 PM
tonykriegmaui
• •
p.2 #16 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

Ok Dremel tool and needle nose did the trick. The real shocker was that a small piece of glass from the fractured UV filter was attached to the inside of the outer lens element. There is a courdoroy collar around the outside of this lens element that was slightly askew. Took it to Thompson Photo in Knoxville, Tn where I was visiting and a guy took some compressed air and dislodged it. (It's still there somewhere) Then he pressed down on the outer ring and resealed it. Seems to work great now. Now the question is do I replace the UV filter

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Mike V
• • •
p.2 #17 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

Wrap a lead around the filter and pinch it together with your thumb and forefinger.
It is similar to using a strap wrench or the filter wrenches, but you already have it in your bag.

Otherwise if it is really stuck, there is a type of jar opener caller a Strong Boy which is basically a strap wrench that works really well.

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.2 #18 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

Uh... nuts. I narrowly avoided having to repeat this procedure on New Year day however, as I dropped my photo bag from a hotel bed and the filter on my 70-200/2.8 IS got smashed (the cap lost its shape as well somewhat). Thankfully, the filter frame wasn't deformed heavily enough to get stuck, so I just removed it (and my wife bought me a new filter once we got home as a New Year consolation gift).

Jan 14, 2013 at 01:53 PM
kevinsullivan
• • •
p.2 #19 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

I have never tried this and can't recommend it, but some brave soul might want to try: blow hot air from a hair dryer straight onto the filter, to heat the filter and ring without heating the lens to which the filter is attached. It's the same idea as running a jar lid under hot water. The differential heating produces faster expansion of the "lid" than of the "jar", loosening the former just enough to be removed from the latter. (In the case of a jar, the thin metal lid heats much faster than the glass of the jar. I'm not sure the same phenomenon will occur with a lens, the filter threads of which are generally metal, too.)

Jan 14, 2013 at 02:28 PM
ashforth

p.2 #20 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

I bought a pair of Canon Plug pliers (not related to Canon Cameras) and easily removed stuck filters. They're available for around $17 on eBay. You need the kind with the plastic jaws:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/360476182444?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Good luck.

Jan 14, 2013 at 07:22 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password