FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

StillFingerz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

Canon’s Official Solution for Stuck Lens Filters

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/12/15/canons-official-solution-for-stuck-lens-filters-use-a-hammer-and-hacksaw/

Who'd a thunk it

Dec 16, 2012 at 09:37 PM
nalax
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

I did that 6 months ago. It worked but left some powdered glass inside the lens. Using the cold method would have been cleaner.

Dec 16, 2012 at 09:48 PM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

YEOW!

Dec 17, 2012 at 01:18 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

StillFingerz wrote:
Canon’s Official Solution for Stuck Lens Filters

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/12/15/canons-official-solution-for-stuck-lens-filters-use-a-hammer-and-hacksaw/

Who'd a thunk it

I did that once.
Although the glass on my filter was already cracked enough to not need the crack the glass step hah.
Removed the remaining glass pieces and then just took pliers and bent the filter metal in (didn't need to bother with a hacksaw).

I should add that by stuck filters I mean when it gets bent by a knock and thus truly stuck.
Otherwise the brass ones always come off and anything else with just a few seconds of cold.

Edited on Dec 17, 2012 at 02:15 AM · View previous versions

Dec 17, 2012 at 02:02 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

When mounting filters, especially aluminium ones that will be on the lens for a while (UV, protector) consider getting a cotton earbud and adding a few small drops of Singer oil. Wipe that around the thread of the filter, remove any excess with a lens tissue, and leave the smallest amount on the threads. Mount the filter carefully.

Later, if you have to remove the filter, it will release.

That, or buy B+W brass filters.

Dec 17, 2012 at 02:11 AM
chris78cpr
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

An elastic band gets off most stuck filters!

Dec 17, 2012 at 09:47 AM
radioman301

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

Rubber band and rubber gloves is the trick I have seen used.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:05 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

You can also jam the front into the flush surface of half a potato, push, and turn.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:16 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

nalax wrote:
I did that 6 months ago. It worked but left some powdered glass inside the lens. Using the cold method would have been cleaner.

Mount the lens on a camera on a tripod and point face down while sawing the filter.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM
tonywong88
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

Put a rubber band around the filter and then use a rubber strap oil filter wrench.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-rubber-strap-wrench-set-94119.html

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:31 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

Paul Mo wrote:
When mounting filters, especially aluminium ones that will be on the lens for a while (UV, protector) consider getting a cotton earbud and adding a few small drops of Singer oil. Wipe that around the thread of the filter, remove any excess with a lens tissue, and leave the smallest amount on the threads. Mount the filter carefully.

Later, if you have to remove the filter, it will release.

Or a super tiny teensy bit of Chapstick to wax the threads. Also fixes hard to put on lens hoods, and zippers that stick.

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:43 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

I've done it when rubber band, rubber glove, ice and heat haven't worked. Rare, but it happens. OK, that's all fine.

BUT!!!!!!

You only have to remove 4 screws under the front rubber to take off the filter ring and end barrel off of the lens, leaving the front element behind. Then you can hacksaw and glass shatter as much as you want without risking the front element. Which for the lens in the picture is $769 to replace.

It takes 5 minutes to pull that off and I'll bet good money the Canon techs do that first before they hacksaw. I think they just "forgot" to mention that to him.

Dec 17, 2012 at 12:33 PM
Lotuselite
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

If the filter is just too tight,(IE not deformed by impact etc,) and the rubber band etc. does not work these are available and may do the trick.
Your local camera shop may have them and help you out.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=filter+wrench&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

Dec 17, 2012 at 03:25 PM
cgarcia
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

A good option for stuck filters: RELAX.

Sometimes one of my filters got stuck, to the point that I finally desisted removing it. However, a few minutes or hours later, it could easily go out at the first try. This was very frecuent, so I got used to it, and at the same time a bit surprised.

I think that this is the reason: when it is difficult to remove a filter, usually one applies even more pressure with your fingers, and it becomes even more difficult to turn it. You get nervous, angry, and press even more.... this is the no return point. As much in a hurry you are, it will get more stuck.

However, sliding the fingers with a very *soft* pressure, chances are that that it will turn. I think that applying too much force may deform the filter or adaptor ring (including the tough B+W Kasemanns) making it slightly elliptical and less prone to turn. Ok, force is necessary... just that perhaps the minimum to avoid slipping the fingers...

Dec 17, 2012 at 04:22 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

cgarcia wrote:
I think that applying too much force may deform the filter or adaptor ring (including the tough B+W Kasemanns) making it slightly elliptical and less prone to turn. Ok, force is necessary... just that perhaps the minimum to avoid slipping the fingers...

That's exactly it. All the techniques like rubber bands, filter wrenches, and potatoes are aimed at applying force evenly all around the circle.

Dec 17, 2012 at 04:27 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

just a few seconds of cold all but guarantees no need for any sort of hacksaw, potatoes, etc. if it merely just stuck

all that cracking and this and that I don't think you'd ever need unless you had rim impact

Dec 17, 2012 at 04:51 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

Petkal's protective filter rules:
(1) All lenses must be provisioned with filters.
(2) Filters must be of the best kind, such as B+W MRC.
(3) Filters must be screwed onto the lens just to the point where thread stop resistance begins to be felt. That is before you'd be able to screw in the filter "finger tight".
"Finger tight" is too tight already.

As a result, I've never had a problem of any sort related to this matter.

Dec 17, 2012 at 05:36 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

Sort of on topic: a bit of filter history for sale on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221167880580?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Dec 17, 2012 at 06:03 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

I've done the exact same kind of repair very successfully. But, I am a machinist and a master metalworker/modelbuilder. I fix delicate instruments all the time. This procedure is not recommended for the casual weekend warrior.

To avoid this, never tighten your filters all the way. I stop about half a turn from the beginning or tightness. And I apply a small amount of lube, either a very thin oil or waxy lube like modern bicycle dry chain lube and wipe most of it off.

Dec 17, 2012 at 06:58 PM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Stuck Lens Filters: Hammer, Hacksaw n Other Tools

In the field, I'll apply a bit of "sebaceous oil", obtained by wiping a finger across my nose or forehead...okay, it might sound gross, but it's really not...and it's mighty handy.
Jerry

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:40 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.