Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · New Business vs. Old

tobicus
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · New Business vs. Old

I'm currently finishing edits for a photo journey we recently shot, and it got me thinking about how pretty much all of our business so far has come from new folks. It makes sense since this is our first full year of business, but it would be nice to start picking up some referrals from previous clients. This brings me to my question:

What percentage of your weddings this year came from new clients vs. from referrals from existing or past clients?

(I realize some folks primarily get referrals from coordinators and venues; you can count those however you'd like)

Dec 17, 2012 at 02:08 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #2 · New Business vs. Old

95% new, maybe 5% referrals. Referrals were generally LDS.

Dec 17, 2012 at 02:17 AM
codiac2600

p.1 #3 · New Business vs. Old

8 Weddings came directly from previous wedding clients. That would be 22.2% of our total booked weddings for 2013. Currently done booking for the year unless something completely amazing appears.

Dec 17, 2012 at 02:32 AM
misty23
• •
Account locked
p.1 #4 · New Business vs. Old

About 75% are referrals from past brides and other photography clients, family portraits, grads and business.

Dec 17, 2012 at 03:15 AM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #5 · New Business vs. Old

About half referrals and half organic growth.

We started a referral rewards program this year, where if anyone we know personally refers a wedding client to us, and the client lists them on their contract, when that client fulfills their contract (i.e. zero balance), we put $100 cash in the palm of the referrer. Best part is that $100 is tax-deductible as an advertising expense.

Dec 17, 2012 at 04:07 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · New Business vs. Old

100% new.

Dec 17, 2012 at 04:12 AM
reginalds

Account locked
p.1 #7 · New Business vs. Old

50% new and 45%

Dec 17, 2012 at 04:50 AM
Joshua Gull
• •
p.1 #8 · New Business vs. Old

Depends on how you look at it. A lot was past referral streams from other vendors. Very little referrals from past clients (I'm that guy who shoots the last wedding of every friends group ever apparently).

Dec 18, 2012 at 04:01 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · New Business vs. Old

80-90% referrals

Dec 18, 2012 at 04:02 AM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #10 · New Business vs. Old

Ah, it seems to vary widely then. All right, good to know.

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #11 · New Business vs. Old

I think it depends on the client and how they are about referrals. I can say that my clients from this year are already bringing me new clients, which is awesome!

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:18 PM
mccallmedia
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · New Business vs. Old

maybe 10-15% referrals

Dec 22, 2012 at 02:55 AM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · New Business vs. Old

75% of our jobs over this past year and the coming year are from referrals... that number does not include referrals from other photographers, other vendors, venues or outside sources... I know that at least 2 of our couples from last year were referred by people who inquired with us for their own wedding, but we were already booked and we had to turn them away. Obviously, they ultimately hired someone else, but they still referred us to their friends. IMO, that is a major fail on the part of whoever shot their wedding.

If you are an established business... i.e. been doing this for at least 3-4 years and you're only getting 10-15% referrals, I think you really need to re-evaluate how you interact with your couples... you're losing a viable revenue stream.

Edited on Dec 24, 2012 at 05:15 AM · View previous versions

Dec 23, 2012 at 07:44 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · New Business vs. Old

Joshua Gull wrote:
Depends on how you look at it. A lot was past referral streams from other vendors. Very little referrals from past clients (I'm that guy who shoots the last wedding of every friends group ever apparently).

Josh... if you really evaluate that statement, IMO, it means that your competitors in your area are dropping the ball in terms of couple interaction... All of your couples' friends have gotten married and yet none of their photographers got the job.

Dec 23, 2012 at 08:01 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · New Business vs. Old

RichardLavigne wrote:
If you are an established business... i.e. been doing this for at least 3-4 years and you're only getting 10-15% referrals, I think you really need to re-evaluate how you interact with your couples... you're losing a viable revenue stream.

The only exception I'd make to this rule is if you shoot in an area that has a high percentage of destination weddings.. i.e. florida or hawaii etc.

Dec 24, 2012 at 03:41 AM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #16 · New Business vs. Old

In general I'd agree with Rich's sentiment that you should be generating referral business. However there are several reasons why that may not be working (referrals don't just come form good photos and good service). But it also might be true that one client's friends or sphere of influence may not be having the same type of wedding that you're perfect for, so client-to-client referrals may not be as relevant for everyone.

- trr

Dec 24, 2012 at 04:30 AM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · New Business vs. Old

TRReichman wrote:
In general I'd agree with Rich's sentiment that you should be generating referral business. However there are several reasons why that may not be working (referrals don't just come form good photos and good service). But it also might be true that one client's friends or sphere of influence may not be having the same type of wedding that you're perfect for, so client-to-client referrals may not be as relevant for everyone.

- trr

Agreed... But I think that if you've pigeon-holed yourself into such a small category of wedding style, that in and of itself represents a poor decision.

Dec 24, 2012 at 05:14 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #18 · New Business vs. Old

3 months ago: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1147248/0?keyword=Referral#10946692

Dec 24, 2012 at 08:58 AM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #19 · New Business vs. Old

RichardLavigne wrote:
Agreed... But I think that if you've pigeon-holed yourself into such a small category of wedding style, that in and of itself represents a poor decision.

It doesn't have to be about style, some people just don't want to have the wedding that their friends are having. Plus, working a small category means that you make more and work less. Not necessarily a poor decision.

- trr

Dec 24, 2012 at 04:45 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · New Business vs. Old

TRReichman wrote:
working a small category means that you make more and work less. Not necessarily a poor decision.

Sounds like the best decision!

Dec 24, 2012 at 06:52 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password