Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

Another issue with the cloud scam is whether the user has version update control. I prefer the older PS versions, but does Adobe allow one to use them indefinitely after a newer, crappier version is released?

EBH

Dec 20, 2012 at 01:08 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

I think I understand what Adobe is trying to do - it's trying to keep ahead of a changing market, maturing products, and the threat of increased competition. I suspect that it has watched how Google Apps has put pressure on Microsoft's cash-cow software and it is trying to preempt that kind of competition.

I think the acid test will be when and if those first-year 50% discounts on the CC service expire. The success will depend on how many customers they have managed to get on-board by that time and how many will stick around with the price increase. That is when I think it will finally dawn on a lot of people that if they pull out at that time to avoid the increase, they will be left with absolutely nothing. At that point they will have 3 choices: continue to pay the piper, stop the service payments and purchase the software outright (on top of what they already paid for a year and assuming the software purchase is still available), or give up on Adobe altogether.

I think the monthly payments probably work for some businesses if they use most of the software regularly but I just can't see it for me. If I was forced to the monthly model, I would probably just live with what I have for as long as possible and then see what the competition offered.

I do think that in the short-term, quality is going to suffer on the Adobe products. Maintaining the new cloud service, continuing the software license purchase model, and trying to keep up with the growing tablet/mobile market has to be stressful for a company that is trying to keep costs contained at the same time.

Edited on Dec 21, 2012 at 07:36 PM · View previous versions

Dec 20, 2012 at 01:48 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

Mr Mouse wrote:
LR is not a real image editor it more an image developer. I don't need LR for I have Photoshop.

DNG is an Adobe RAW file format they proposed for starting developing a Standard RAW format. However Adobe is the only company that seem to have any interest in DNG. Some companies did give it a look. The DNG format is not supported by many applications.

CS4, CS5 and CS6 have options that can make Photoshop default operation to be incompatible with actions, scripts and plug-ins developed for Photoshop when these options are changed from Adobe's default settings. You may
...Show more

Point was and still is, I don't need any more photoshop than I already have when I can leave the raw processing to another program. No LR can't do what PS can but my CS5 can do that and I don't need any more, ditto plugins.

Dec 20, 2012 at 03:03 PM
Carson Wilcox
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

I so rarely use Photoshop now I sometimes wonder why I keep it at all. I'm almost 100% LR with a few non adobe plugins, so I really wouldn't miss Photoshop at all. I just hope they don't do the same thing with LR.

Dec 20, 2012 at 09:27 PM
DThom

p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

I would stick with CS6 and LR4 or the most recent pre-cloud versions and supplement them with other software, as needed. Hell will freeze over before I support this kind of cr.p . On the bright side, cloud only PS may motivate another software manufacturer to produce a viable PS alternative -- competition is good.

regards

Denis

Dec 20, 2012 at 09:38 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

Beni wrote:
Point was and still is, I don't need any more photoshop than I already have when I can leave the raw processing to another program. No LR can't do what PS can but my CS5 can do that and I don't need any more, ditto plugins.

My point is and still is CS3 is better then CS4, CS5 and CS6 when it comes to Photoshop automation. Bugs were introduced in CS4 and CS5 and CS6 introduced many additional bugs into Photoshop automation.

Dec 21, 2012 at 01:10 AM
AlphaValues

p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

I've been subscribing to Adobe Cloud since I got rolled over from the monthly licensing agreement. I went with the monthly licensing because it makes more sense, given their new upgrade pricing scheme.*

First, it's been mentioned before but from subsequent comments, it clearly bears repeating:
You install the Adobe products on your LOCAL machine and YOUR files stay LOCAL.

The only thing "cloudy" about Adobe's new licensing architecture is that the license isn't tied to a physical CD, it's tied to your adminstrative account at Adobe plus a UID comprised of a random string generated on the machines you install Adobe products on.

FWIW, Microsoft is moving towards this model with their Office suite. This is latest trend in anti-piracy, and it also makes life easier for system administrators - SAs can manage licenses for software on workstations without having to access the workstation itself, drastically reducing IT operating costs. The drawback, of course, are the edge cases mentioned in this thread where people may be using unnetworked workstations.

I'm running PS v5. I see no incentive to upgrade to PS v6 until they get that release sorted. I don't use LR, so I can't speak to the available versions for that software.

There does seem to be a push for some amount of drive space hosted by Adobe, I haven't really looked into it but IIRC there's 20GB included with the license. I have the Photoshop app on my android tablet, and it wants to save everything to the hosted space. This drive space is natively available in the tablet app, but I haven't looked into how to get to it from any desktop application as the feature is irrelevant to my needs.

* I believe the new upgrade pricing scheme was setup to specifically make monthly licensing worthwhile for the consumer

Dec 21, 2012 at 06:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

Carson Wilcox wrote:
I so rarely use Photoshop now I sometimes wonder why I keep it at all. I'm almost 100% LR with a few non adobe plugins, so I really wouldn't miss Photoshop at all. I just hope they don't do the same thing with LR.

+1
it's the same for me

Dec 23, 2012 at 07:14 AM
k7xd
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

Mr Mouse wrote:
My point is and still is CS3 is better then

I am still pissed at Adobe for infesting my computer with Apple's Bonjour in CS3.

Dec 23, 2012 at 05:18 PM
eric hagemann
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

GIMP 3 is coming, just sayin............

Dec 23, 2012 at 05:36 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

Peter Le wrote:
I could not agree more Peter Figen.......lack of competition always creates problems....

+1

Dec 23, 2012 at 05:37 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

There are two big problems with online activation and subscription models:

1. Once you are signed up Adobe can then ramp up fees a long way before most folk will jump ship. You have no choice because you can't just choose to stop upgrading and stay on your current version if you are on a subscription deal. In large part this is facilitated by the complete lack of any decent competition to Photoshop.

2. If Adobe were to go under and their activation servers shut down, what happens to your software?

I know we don't like to talk about it here, but cracks for Photoshop and Lightroom are not difficult to come by. The folk who use them now are generally people who wouldn't pay for the software in any case, but if the licensing becomes overly onerous many currently legitimate customers might be tempted.

Dec 25, 2012 at 09:59 AM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

k7xd wrote:
I am still pissed at Adobe for infesting my computer with Apple's Bonjour in CS3.

Then go to the control panel remove Bonjour and if your still pissed remove CS3 while your there. Enjoy life....

Dec 25, 2012 at 01:11 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password