New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Patos - Lago Coyuca

Eyeball
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Patos - Lago Coyuca

I've been catching up on some long overdo editing today and came across this one from a trip this summer to Acapulco. What do you folks think?

I'm not sure I like the boat in the background nor the fact that it is perfectly centered but I'm also sensitive to the fact that I can over-simplify an image if I'm not careful.

I'm also aware that the horizon is centered vertically but I think that it may work in this case.

Dec 16, 2012 at 01:52 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Patos - Lago Coyuca

All valid points that you have mentioned. I like the silhouettes and color treatment.

Perhaps process one with the following:

1 - remove boat (I want to draw intersecting diagonals - bet they go through the boat) - a distraction
2 - if possible add more room at top - notice this gives three areas now rather than essentially two in the original
3 - remove horizontal line just below boat
4 - remove brush in center of image

I would not worry about the sole bird on right - the island helps balance that space versus the left.

Any improvement?

<edit> Took the opportunity to play, hope you do not mind, if so I will remove the image. Not the cleanest job but you get the idea. And added a slight vignette to help contain the eye.

Regards,

Bob

Dec 16, 2012 at 02:16 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Patos - Lago Coyuca

Thanks for taking the time to comment and offer your interpretation, Bob.

My initial image was already at the limit sky-wise so my only alternative would be to fake more sky like you did. I tried going the other way (showing more foreground water) but it seemed to make the image top-heavy.

I understand your clone edits and they do clean up the image. I'm just wrestling with how much I want to retain of what was really there vs. trying to artificially create a more perfect image.

I'll keep working on it when I have a chance. Thanks again.

Dec 19, 2012 at 08:32 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Patos - Lago Coyuca

Maybe a little more mood play.

Edited on Dec 19, 2012 at 08:57 PM · View previous versions

Dec 19, 2012 at 08:51 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Patos - Lago Coyuca

I like where you're headed, Kent. I actually tried some more dramatic versions with more contrast and saturation and I did like the results. In my trials though I was trying to retain the layering of the background hills. I would kind of hate to lose that.

Dec 19, 2012 at 08:57 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Patos - Lago Coyuca

Thanks ... the thing that was causing me the most issue was the long left to right stretch to see all the birds. I think the vignette helps mitigate the need to "scan across" the entire image. I tossed some lens blur at the BG hills to try and bring the action to the water ... front & center for the "poser" so to speak ... if that makes any sense.

Dec 19, 2012 at 09:01 PM
gneto
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Patos - Lago Coyuca

A little late to the thread, but here's a crop suggestion:

Dec 23, 2012 at 01:41 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.