Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Having used it, how's the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC

kevinsullivan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Having used it, how's the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC

Having sold off my EF 24-70L I a while back and now needing to replace it, I'm looking seriously at my options. I've searched the threads here, and have also watched the video and other bake-offs between the Canon 24-70L II and this Tamron. I've seen some pretty mushy 100% crop corners coming from the Tamron in online reviews. What I'm looking for here is a good selection of judgments about the lens from knowledgable people who have actually been using the lens, now that it has been out for a while. As for my own subjective utility function: I often shoot hand-held, often indoors, so the VC is relevant, and I the cost of the Canon II is a major turn-off. What I really care most about are resolution, color, contrast, I can live with some distortion given that it's largely correctable in software. So do I go back to the Canon 24-70 I, or jump in and grab a new Tamrom VC? Thanks for you input. Sample shots welcome, of course.

Dec 16, 2012 at 04:51 PM
Bones74
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Having used it, how's the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC

I'm also hoping for some samples and input from users. I too have watched and read several reviews but to he honest I'm still none the wiser as whether the lens is a worthy alternative to the 24-70 ii. The VC is obviously a massive draw, but if the Tamron isnt very usable, at least in the centre, wide open then its pointless.

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:53 AM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Having used it, how's the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC

Tried it but between the image stabilazation kicking in and the slow focus it was no use for me. Plus both copies I tried need quite a bit of micro adjustment. The center is very sharp at 2.8 but the corners suffer pretty much at any f stop.

Dec 17, 2012 at 12:56 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Having used it, how's the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC

I had the Tamron for a while, but was not really satisfied that it was sufficiently better than the original Canon 24-70 (I have 2 of that lens). Of course the VC is very useful for some purposes.

I am very impressed with the new Canon 24-70 II. At wide apertures it has a larger area of high sharpness than the alternatives. CA is very low, flare is good, and AF is fast and reliable. The only part I don't like is the small hood. Now that there is a pending 24-70/4 IS, I may get that one too for use in brighter light and landscapes if it is sharp enough in the corners when stopped down.

EBH

Dec 17, 2012 at 01:15 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Having used it, how's the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC

I borrowed a friend's Tamron to try it out before I made the call. I have an excellent 24-105mm and my impression after that short test period is they are very similar in terms of IQ with each other. Of course, at f/2.8, the Tamron is a relatively faster lens and it is not a bad lens. The VC with its 3-stop advantage is helpful but if it is coming down to IQ, I would say that the Canon Mark II is the better lens even without IS. I know some folks would point out the price difference between the Canon Mark II and the Tamron VC. You cannot put a $-value in terms of performance and it is simply silly to say that the price difference of $800 won't let you get $800 more in performance. Ultimately, only the end user can determine whether it is worth getting one over the other, depending on his/her need, type of photography and yes, financial situation.

Dec 17, 2012 at 02:46 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Having used it, how's the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC

Here is a gallery of full-size 36MP images from the Tamron on the D800. All were shot at f/2.8, with most of the indoor images taken at 1/13. Raw and sharpened in LR4/CS5.My copy is a little decentered but I haven't had time to send it in.

http://horshack.smugmug.com/Other/Tamron-24-70-on-D800/25653517_pc7Qv3

Dec 17, 2012 at 04:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Having used it, how's the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC

snapsy -- That seems like the perfect use for that lens, along with stabilized video. Nice shots with very good color. I don't know if the IQ or AF is better than a good copy of v. 1, but the VC adds a lot of value for handheld available light shooting.

Dec 17, 2012 at 05:02 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Having used it, how's the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC

Gunzorro wrote:
snapsy -- That seems like the perfect use for that lens, along with stabilized video. Nice shots with very good color. I don't know if the IQ or AF is better than a good copy of v. 1, but the VC adds a lot of value for handheld available light shooting.

I haven't compared it to V1 but all the reviews I've read say it handily outperforms the V1 and actually comes pretty close to the V2 as well. Here is photozone's review of all three lenses:

Canon 24-70L V1
Canon 24-70L V2
Tamron 24-70VC

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:04 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Having used it, how's the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC

snapsy wrote:
Here is a gallery of full-size 36MP images from the Tamron on the D800. All were shot at f/2.8, with most of the indoor images taken at 1/13. Raw and sharpened in LR4/CS5.My copy is a little decentered but I haven't had time to send it in.

http://horshack.smugmug.com/Other/Tamron-24-70-on-D800/25653517_pc7Qv3

hmm hard to know what to make of those, all the subjects seem more like subjects needing f/6.3-f/11 but all were shot at f/2.8 and many at dangerous shutter speeds so lots of softness, but then again, for these scenes that would expected no matter how good a lens is

it does seem majorly more prone to PF than the 24-70 II for sure though

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:09 PM
kevinsullivan
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Having used it, how's the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC

Here is a gallery of full-size 36MP images from the Tamron on the D800.

Nice architecture shots. Thanks for those. It's helpful to see them.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:43 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Having used it, how's the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC

One thing... there's a lot of talk about sharpness, but what of durability? Longevity?

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:29 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Having used it, how's the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC

Paul Mo wrote:
One thing... there's a lot of talk about sharpness, but what of durability? Longevity?

It's a new lens so too early to know. But Roger C. has indicated that one of the front elements is glued and they've seen it come unhinged on rentals. He talks about it here: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/09/tamron-24-70-f2-8-vc-issue

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:32 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password