Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 5D MK II and studio flash

campy
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D MK II and studio flash

I have some some low end studio flashes and a Minolta IVF meter and I am now using this setup for the first time with the Canon. My previous camera was a Sony A700 and I was able to get the exposrue setting correct but cannot on the 5D and I don't know what I am doing wrong.
When I fire the test button for the meter to read and set my camera on manual and the settings that the meter tells me to use the picture is extremely underexposed. I have the meter set for iso 100 and shutter speed for 125 and when I fire the test button it gives me a reading of f16 and when I set the camera for that the pictures are very underexposed. What am I missing? I very rarely use these lights so I am quite the noob when using studio flash.

Dec 16, 2012 at 04:36 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D MK II and studio flash

When you say "very underexposed" how much are we talking about? Were you able to get proper exposures using the same lights and same meter with your Nikon?

You may not be doing anything wrong; what one company calls "ISO 100" may not be the same as what another company calls it, even though ISO is supposed to be a standard.

You need to do some testing to find the "true ISO" of your camera, and add or subtract the difference for precise metering.

With my Sekonic L-758 I can save calibrations for different cameras in the meter's memory; I don't know if the Minolta can do that or not. If not, you can just make note of the difference and set it on your camera: for example, you may need to tell the meter you're using ISO 100, but dial ISO 160 into the camera. (That's just an example; only actual testing will give you the correct numbers.)

Dec 17, 2012 at 01:09 AM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D MK II and studio flash

Are you pointing the dome on the meter toward the camera or toward the light? Also, try shooting something that's white and non-reflective and look at your overexposure warning on the 5D's lcd. Do it again and open up a third of a stop and see if you have any clipping.

Most of my Canon bodies have required a third + or - from what my Sekonic meters or Cybercommander call for. Both of my 5D3s like to be 1/3 open from all of my meters.

Dec 17, 2012 at 01:33 AM
400d
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D MK II and studio flash

A brand new Sekonic L-758 is 2/3 under for my 1Ds II. You can test both the meter and camera under sun, using the sunny 16 rule.

Dec 17, 2012 at 04:53 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password