Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lightroom/cs6/Hard Drives.

charles sharpe
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom/cs6/Hard Drives.

I am sorry if this a too basic question but we all have to start some were. I am trying to be more organised in the way I do things next year.ie workflow.At the moment I am very bad when I come back from a shoot I down load the cf cards into folders with the subject and the days date onto the desk top look at them in Bridge dump the ones not wanted and copy that file across the external hard drive and that is it. I have just found out that the 1TB external HD is not split into 2 500GB so I am looking to buy 2 x2TB and put my folders into each one. Is this good practice. The other question is if I have the full version of CS6 would I benefit from having Lightroom and if so how. One last question back to HD's are mains power better than than USB power.

I am Realy looking forward to seeing your advise.

Charles.

Edited on Dec 17, 2012 at 04:49 AM · View previous versions

Dec 16, 2012 at 04:06 PM
LA_Sportsman
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom/cs6/Hard Drives.

There is a current thread in the Nikon forum "ideas on how to saw all these photos." Sorry, I would link but I'm doing this from my iPhone. It goes into folder structure and nomenclature. You definitely want to get photos under a central folder "my photos, pictures, etc.". That master folder should be mirrored on at least one external.

In Lightroom, you would absolutely benefit and I believe find you use LR4 more than CS6. I have never used bridge but Lightroom has the catalog capabilities and from others here who used Bridge, Lightroom is superior and they quit using Bridge. I'm sure someone with personal experience will weigh in.

Dec 16, 2012 at 05:00 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom/cs6/Hard Drives.

I would suggest that you read Peter Krogh's book "The DAM Book: Digital Asset Management for Photographers." It delves into all these questions about workflow.

Or as an alternative, you can consult his website but it doesn't have as much detailed information as his book: http://www.dpbestflow.org/

Dec 16, 2012 at 05:17 PM
charles sharpe
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom/cs6/Hard Drives.

Many thanks for for your input and help.

Charles.

Dec 18, 2012 at 05:17 AM
charles sharpe
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom/cs6/Hard Drives.

James_N wrote:
I would suggest that you read Peter Krogh's book "The DAM Book: Digital Asset Management for Photographers." It delves into all these questions about workflow.

Or as an alternative, you can consult his website but it doesn't have as much detailed information as his book: http://www.dpbestflow.org/

Many thanks lots of reading that will keep me quite over the holiday's.

Charles.

Dec 18, 2012 at 05:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

charles sharpe
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom/cs6/Hard Drives.

Any thoughts on hard drives how do you store your images.

Charles.

Dec 18, 2012 at 05:19 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightroom/cs6/Hard Drives.

Charles, I'm using a laptop which has an eSata port to which I have a 2.5" 500GB 5400rpm WD Scorpio Blue always plugged in. On that drive is a folder called 'Photo Master'; it contains subfolders based on subject: Animals, Plants, Vehicles, etc.

Shoot. Remove CF card. Plug card into reader. Open Lightroom. Import images into subject folders; Plants, Clouds, Landscapes, etc. Eject the card. View, Flag and Delete images in Lightroom. Back up LR catalog at each exit.

Manual back up is to two 3.5" 1TB WD Green harddrives in a USB 3 enclosure using Karen's Replicator. I do this about once or twice a week so I have three external drives with identical folder structures and files on them; I have a 128GB SSD running Windows 7 so there's no room for photos on my 'main' drive.

Regarding USB powered drives. They are almost exclusively 2.5" drives that require far less power than 3.5" drives. You need to think about capacity (2x 2TB 3.5" drives is a good start) and connectivity; USB2 or ______. Your available ports, USB2, USB3, ______, will determine what kind of enclosure you might look for and then fill it with bare drives. If I had the money, I'd go with Western Digital Caviar Black every time, but my harddrive collection has grown 'organically' and so I have many types of WD drive.

Dec 19, 2012 at 01:48 PM
charles sharpe
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightroom/cs6/Hard Drives.

Hello Paul.

Many thanks for there information lots to think about and take in.

Charles.

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:37 PM
LA_Sportsman
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lightroom/cs6/Hard Drives.

Respectfully, I would stay away from subject based folders such as animals, plants, etc. I used that once upon a time and 50,000 images later, it's unusable. What do you do when both are featured in the same photo? The answer is usually duplicate photos which leads to bloat. That's not to mention the extra time added to workflow.

Choose between LR4, Aperture, or Bridge and let your software make your subsets. I have smart collections for nature, 5* landscapes, Yosemite, etc. but the actual photos rest peacefully by year where backups are easy and duplication doesn't exist other than clones to externals as a true backup.

Dec 21, 2012 at 06:03 AM
charles sharpe
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lightroom/cs6/Hard Drives.

Hello LA Sportsman.

Many thanks for you thoughts and ideas on H D,s

Charles

Dec 21, 2012 at 06:41 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password