FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              6       7       end

Archive 2012 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Kit Laughlin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Jochen, thanks for the grip image; I will get one for sure. I plan on getting a RRS L bracket for the DP2 Merrill (as I mentioned: for landscapes, there is nothing pocketable that comes close).

For me the X-E1 is the ultimate digital hand-holding tool; and the DP2 M is its complement—so the grip for the X-E1 and the L-bracket for the DP2 M. Cheers all, KL

Dec 17, 2012 at 04:57 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

If anyone wishes to use an electronic release with your X-E1 I found that my Canon electronic release will trigger the camera. On the other hand, my Lumix release does not.

Rich

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:17 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Lan11 wrote:

Those cameras were developed under the management which was rocked by a huge scandal and there is a equally huge law suit facing Fuji now, which may even sink the company. Their top management was replaced, but the culture of dishonesty continues. Otherwise they wouldn’t be selling the camera pretending that everything is fine. As a minimum they should acknowledge the problem and commit to the solution date. If they haven’t, it means they don’t have a clue how to fix it. If the problem is in the proprietary Fuji f/m, then ther will be no other 3-rd party
...Show more

You are thinking of Olympus, which happens to be a completely different company and had no part in the design or sales of the X-E1 or X-Pro 1.

Dec 18, 2012 at 07:46 PM
bigkidneys
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

rattymouse wrote:
You are thinking of Olympus, which happens to be a completely different company and had no part in the design or sales of the X-E1 or X-Pro 1.

Haha. I thought so too but figured if he was hating maybe he knew his shit. Guess not...

Dec 18, 2012 at 09:18 PM
JimBuchanan
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Kit Laughlin wrote:
It will probably surprise you to know I have used and owned all the bodies you mention (and probably over a hundred more); In case you missed it, my point was about ergonomics and about re-convergence on a minimalist interface, which the cameras you mention also have.

My mention of the dream come true is simply this: in film days, you were locked in to one ISO. The Auto 6400 setting literally takes you from max. intensity outside in the midday sun, all the way to semi-darkness. No one was ever able to do that in film days, and we
...Show more

The fact that the camera firmware processed jpegs are so good is proof that a good demosaicing algorithm exists. Why Fuji can't relay that info to the software companies, I don't know.

+1, I am increasingly interested in the X-E1 and look forward to the day I can compare it to my NEX-7 and NEX-6 with manual lenses. My all time favorite camera was the Fuji 645 Wide. Hopefully, this thread can be a reference to the usability of this camera as it is intended.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:43 AM
Lan11
[X]
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

The message wasn’t directed to the perfectly happy owners who responded with so much anger, but to the potential buyers.

“Try it before buy it” is the motto of the day. And ensure you can return it.
If YOU decide the lemon is for you and you can make good lemonade, don’t let anyone dissuade you otherwise. Then you will not be one of the happy owners high on hopeium dreaming of White Night who will fix the problem for Fuji because they cannot. And you will not be reading misleading threads like: “How to with Fuji” or ”Tips & tricks” wasting time on convoluted ineffectual PP methods instead of taking pictures.

Kit … 30 years of experience and still using JPEG? Hmm.
I wasn’t referring to the fun boys as membership, but a state of mind, which is not age limited.
You didn’t find my posts useful because you’re looking for the solution which nobody has. If there was one I would not waste my time read threads like this and similar ones.

Ratty: you’re correct. Proves that nobody’s perfect : -(
Small kindeys thought it too….. : -) Just wasn’t nimble enough.

And now for conclusion - a personal disclosure.
I’m a hater, because I can’t stand shoddy, marginally useful products hyped by false advertising.

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:12 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Lan11 wrote:
The message wasn’t directed to the perfectly happy owners who responded with so much anger, but to the potential buyers.

“Try it before buy it” is the motto of the day. And ensure you can return it.
If YOU decide the lemon is for you and you can make good lemonade, don’t let anyone dissuade you otherwise. Then you will not be one of the happy owners high on hopeium dreaming of White Night who will fix the problem for Fuji because they cannot. And you will not be reading misleading threads like: “How to with Fuji” or ”Tips & tricks” wasting
...Show more

Please stop posting in this thread.

Rich

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:14 AM
bigkidneys
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

naturephoto1 wrote:
Please stop posting in this thread.

Rich

Agree. He's posting nothing to contribute to this thread except that he doesn't like Fuji. Haters just keep hating but not in this thread please....

Edited on Dec 19, 2012 at 10:47 AM · View previous versions

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:45 AM
olelovold
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Lan11, it's a shame you find the camera shoddy and marginal. Whilst I agree the RAW options are very bad at the moment that's about the only bad thing I can say about it. In my opinion, the camera is a joy to use as soon as you learn it in & out which I have over the past eight months of using it regularily. You really aren't contributing to this thread in a helpful way, and if you still have something unsaid, you should open a new thread where you may complain as much as you'd like.

I shoot RAW + JPG at the moment, and most of the time I end up using the JPGs as they look better than the RAWs when run through the current version of Lightroom. Fuji knows JPGs very well - skin tones and tones in general look very pleasing.

As the battery life is a bit bad, I'd advise buyers to get at least one more battery. You can get cheap knock-offs on Amazon that work just as well (in my experience).

Some people have trouble focusing. However, after the 2.0 update, I find the AF performance of my XP1 to be very good indeed. Learn how parallax works, and how contrast-detect AF differs from phase-detect. Consider when it will be sensible to use manual focus and zone focus instead, i.e. when small apertures are being used and plenty of DoF is available.

Erik
www.eriklovold.com

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:46 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Lan wrote:

Kit … 30 years of experience and still using JPEG? Hmm.

You just can't help yourself, can you? I shoot JPEGs on this camera because they work so well. I only shoot Raw otherwise; have been doing so since the advent of Raw; and have even been a beta tested for an early edition of ACR.

I have tried processing through SilkyPix (and Aperture; C1Pro 6 and 7 doe not yet handle the RAF files), and I can't do even a close job with it compared to the JPEGs out of the camera. So, like many here, I am shooting Raw and FINE jpegs, and if I do shoot anything that needs more processing later, well, I am a patient man.

In the meantime, the X-E1 is the best mirrorless camera I have ever used and, with the DP2 Merrill, fills my present photographic needs.

Dec 19, 2012 at 03:07 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Back to the topic at hand.

Does anyone where where to source a hand grip for the X-E1? Neither Adorama nor B&H stock them, and have no idea if they will. TIA, KL

Dec 19, 2012 at 03:19 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Kit Laughlin wrote:
Back to the topic at hand.

Does anyone where where to source a hand grip for the X-E1? Neither Adorama nor B&H stock them, and have no idea if they will. TIA, KL

Hi Kit,

So far I have only been able to find these listed by a Photo store in the UK and on ebay. You may have to place an order through a store in the US to get one of these otherwise at this point. The camera has only been available for such a short time at this point. It is possible in the future they will be stocked.

Rich

Dec 19, 2012 at 03:43 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

I looked on ebay; $150 AUD was the least expensive I could find, so I will wait until our usual suppliers can deliver.

Also: does anyone know how to lower the fill flash power beyond -0.66EV?

Dec 19, 2012 at 07:47 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Kit Laughlin wrote:
I looked on ebay; $150 AUD was the least expensive I could find, so I will wait until our usual suppliers can deliver.

Also: does anyone know how to lower the fill flash power beyond -0.66EV?

Kit,

As I had mentioned previously in the thread, I am expecting to get the RRS L Bracket and the Grip when released. I have placed a preorder for the L bracket already. We expect the Grip to come later. But, by going this route, this will do double duty for mounting the camera onto an Arca Swiss QR clamp in horizontal or vertical orientation and the Grip will aid in the hand holding of the camera particularly with bigger and heavier lenses. The total for the whole set-up will be somewhere around $190? US.

Rich

Dec 19, 2012 at 08:01 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

I did see your note earlier Rich; thanks. Are you ordering the grip via RRS? Cheers, kl

Dec 19, 2012 at 08:41 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Kit Laughlin wrote:
I did see your note earlier Rich; thanks. Are you ordering the grip via RRS? Cheers, kl

Hi Kit,

At this point RRS is in the process of preparing one of their modular L brackets for the X-E1. Though they haven't committed to the grip yet, RRS has one as part of their modular system for both the X100 and the X-Pro1. The expectation is that there will be a grip but, it may be coming a little after the actual release of the 2 modular parts for the L bracket. Hopefully all of the parts will be coming not too far apart for the release of everything. I suspect that at least the L bracket for the camera will be released in January.

My suspicion is that the finished 3 part L bracket and grip should be similar to this one for the X100:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=BX100-Set&type=3&eq=&desc=BX100-Set%3a-Includes-Base-%2b-LPlate-%2b-Grip

Again, this is the link for what RRS is presently taking orders for the X-E1:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=BodyFujiXE1&key=cat

RRS told me to keep an eye on the page for the L bracket for the X-E1 as to the price and when the grip was to be released and when they were taking orders for it.

By the way, the design of the RRS L brackets allows access to the battery and Memory card without removing the bracket. That is not the case of the bracket made by Fuji.

Rich

Dec 19, 2012 at 08:56 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Rich, thanks for that.

I have had RRS L-brackets in the past: excellent from a fit and finish point of view, and always intelligently designed (like access to the battery. It's my intention, though, to get one for the DP2 M and make a lightweight pano outfit; for the X-E1, just the OEM grip will be fine (at least at this point). Thanks for the info.

Dec 19, 2012 at 09:44 PM
Velu01
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Fuji is HUGE !!! Regardless whatever, proper Raw support is on the way for sure !

Meanwhile enjoy shooting those little "big" camera's, enjoy those jpeg's and keep those Raws untill then !

Rgds

Dec 20, 2012 at 07:56 AM
doowop42
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

There is no such thing as " Tips and Tricks" but there is a craft called " Photography ".
Read and learn.

Dec 21, 2012 at 02:54 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Reposting my question re. fill flash: is there any way of dialing it down to less than -2/3EV?

Dec 21, 2012 at 04:35 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.