Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Archive 2012 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Kit Laughlin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

After using the X-E1 alongside the DP2 Merrill for a few weeks, and liking both immensely, I wonder if it is worth starting a 'tips and tricks' thread for the X-E1?

I find the UI just so intelligent; it seems clear to me that photographers really were involved in its design and construction.

For example, on another thread, I think it was Jason (bigkidneys) who suggested setting -2 Shadows, -2 Noise reduction, +1 Sharpening, and -1 Highlights. This makes an amazing difference (in a good sense) to my JPEGs.

Anyhow, would there be interest? Cheers to all, KL

Dec 16, 2012 at 08:48 AM
Lan11
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

The best trick is to returned the camera and wait until Fuji fixes the artifacts problem.
The menus are nice as well as some other things, but it is half baked product.

Dec 16, 2012 at 02:54 PM
vovkinson
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

go to Adobe guys and have them develop ACR for X - E1 and you won't need "tips & tricks"
For now, E1 & Xp1 are the worst cameras in terms of RAW support.

Dec 16, 2012 at 02:57 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1171984

Try this solution for RAW. Its not perfect, but it works.

Otherwise there is no "artifact" problem. Theres just third-party RAW support developer problem. Obviously if JPEG in camera can do what it does, any RAW developing program should too.

For now, Photivo for Windows works and RPP for MACs.

Dec 16, 2012 at 03:41 PM
bigkidneys
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Wow guys. Again, everyone seems to be hating on these cameras because of lack of raw support. It comes up time and time again. Not everyone has to shoot raw and I don't think Kit was asking for this by starting this thread. Like the thread for the OM-D regarding tips and tricks for custom settings and stuff like that, I am pretty sure that's what his aim is for this thread. Eventually raw support from the heavy hitters will be available that will correct all the "artifacts" and "watercolor" effects everyone seems so hung up on. It's funny, almost all of these people do not even own the camera yet still insist to hate on the thing. Not everyone is an electrical engineer or pixel peeper or for the most part concerned with this. Some just enjoy taking pictures and its up to them if they like the output or not. I am one of those guys who could give two shits about those apparent "shortcomings" as I am highly impressed with the jpegs sooc. And I am coming from shooting only raw before I bought my Xpro1 and XE1. So sorry if this is a rant but I am about 90% sure that not everyone who owns these cameras are stuck on the fact that you have to shoot raw. As far as tips and tricks Kit, you may be better off checking over at x100forum.com. They have some threads set up specifically for what I think you are asking. That is where I get my gouge.

Dec 16, 2012 at 04:12 PM
davewolfs
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

My best tip and trick has been refusing to buy it until Fuji works with raw software publishers to help support their product.

Dec 16, 2012 at 05:27 PM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

My best tip and trick: Buy it, use it.

I'm a committed RAW user with my 5Dmk2. But man, these XE-1 jpgs come out wildly good. My editors are going to love them.

And you're going to see them in major publications without even knowing it.

Dec 16, 2012 at 05:51 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

justruss wrote:
My best tip and trick: Buy it, use it.

I'm a committed RAW user with my 5Dmk2. But man, these XE-1 jpgs come out wildly good. My editors are going to love them.

And you're going to see them in major publications without even knowing it.

+1
The whiners can complain in plenty of other threads, not in one about tips&tricks.

Dec 16, 2012 at 09:13 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Jochenb wrote:
+1
The whiners can complain in plenty of other threads, not in one about tips&tricks.

+2.

Dec 16, 2012 at 09:20 PM
Lan11
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Poor Fuji fun-boys are on offensive against "whiners".
They don't realize they are supporting bad products and encouraging manufacturers like Fuji to make them.
So you can expect more of the same or worst, until one day you'll join the "whiners" club.

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

naturephoto1
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Lan11 wrote:
They don't realize they are supporting bad products and encouraging manufacturers like Fuji to make them.
So you can expect more of the same or worst, until one day you'll join the "whiners" club.

You have made your opinions known time and time again (especially for the number of posts that you have on FM). Now it is beginning to sound like you are just trolling to be a nuisance and a complainer.

Rich

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:39 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Lan11 wrote:

Where can we see your photography?

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:40 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

mortyb wrote:
Where can we see your photography?

+1

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Lan11 wrote:

I say the problems are real. I even talked about it months ago and posted crops. Still I bought an X-E1, because there's more to an image than only the finest detail.
I bought it because of the excellent colors, dynamic range and low noise. I use it along with a 5DII with zeiss lenses and I haven't heard a single complaint from clients.

Everyone can talk about the problem, but keep repeating it in every thread you can find about fuji makes you a whiner.
The camera is not for you. Get over it.

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:58 PM
ReneMurea
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Lan11 wrote:

Wow, so much hate. Honestly, people like you should stick with dpreview. FM is a different community.
Btw, I'm not a fuji fanboy. I have a Sigma an Oly and a Fuji. Different tools for different tasks.
As for tips, for me Jpegs out of the camera worked just fine. I'll try Jason's settings for a while and see how I like it. While the output from E1 is amazing I still prefer the neutral output from my Sigma DP2 (not Merrill)

Dec 17, 2012 at 12:08 AM
chris78cpr
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Fuji know how to produce a bang on Jpeg! My X100 is stunning SOOC!

Dec 17, 2012 at 12:30 AM
vovkinson
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

+1

Lan11 wrote:

Dec 17, 2012 at 12:39 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Interesting what one returns to in 24 hours!

The Fine JPEGs out of this camera are superb. I am with Russ, JochenB, and Jason—the JPEGs will do just fine until the Raw problem is solved (if C1Pro does include the X-Trans files in the next update, problem is solved). (An aside: if they ever learn how to work with the DP2 Merrill files I will be in heaven!). And @ Jason: thanks for the X-100 forum suggestion, too.

And in the meantime, tweaking the JPEGs the way that's been suggested is only a starting point: I have three Custom setups now for experimenting. And memory is ridiculously cheap, so shoot both Raw and JPEG, if you feel you can improve on the camera's output. I have my ISO upper limit set to 6400; unheard of only a few years ago.

For me, the joy in the body is partly the UI, which for my hands works perfectly, and the sheer intelligence in the design. The 35/1.4 is on the camera most of the time.

And for landscapes, the DP2 Merrill (plus a pano. head) is sensational; in good light the colour is excellent and the sharpness, micro-contrast, etc. is superb. So, while the Raw developers are getting to grips with the X-Trans, I use the DP2 M for this purpose.

And as for the general thrust of my OP; what I had in mind was a thread where any practical, operationally related, discussion could take place. The JPEG settings were just to get the ball rolling.

Here are things to talk about: what are your suggestions for the smallest/lightest bag that can take the X-E1 with the 35/1.4 attached, and what are your suggestions for wrist straps?

Dec 17, 2012 at 01:51 AM
bigkidneys
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Kit like you, the UI is what most drew me to the Fuji X cameras. Having to go into menus can be too much of a hassle. The Fuji is just so simplistic it's crazy. Love the Quick menu button. The 3 dial system is so easy for someone to learn and it's also a throwback in time for those who have been around cameras for a while. I use an Artisan strap I have that someone included with my first X100. Never thought about a wrist strap but with any of the primes except possibly the 60 and zoom it shouldn't be an issue. Gordy's come to mind and I think maybe Optech. They make a cheap neoprene strap with a quick release strap that worked great for a Nex 7 I had. I would like to hear one thoughts though on a smaller bag for maybe the body and prime attached with room for another prime or zoom and battery. I am currently using. Crumpler 6M dollar home that's ok but way too big for taking the body with zoom and 35, 60 primes.

Dec 17, 2012 at 03:30 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Jason wrote:

The 3 dial system is so easy for someone to learn and it's also a throwback in time for those who have been around cameras for a while.

Man, that's so true. An aperture ring; and a shutter speed dial—coupled with auto ISO—is just a dream come true. The camera reminds me more and more of the Olympus OM-1 and 2; operational simplicity and elegance (and close to the same size, if I am remembering correctly).

I am thinking wrist strap only because if I ever put this body on a tripod, neck straps get in the way (plus I take the X-E1 everywhere, including walking/jogging up and down a big hill behind our place).

I had a look over at the X-100 forum, too; lots of good info there, and I will ask if I can re-post anything I find useful there.

Dec 17, 2012 at 04:05 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password