Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Most popular pint sizes?

charlieboy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Most popular pint sizes?

I like the 12x18or wider prints etc. The 11x14 and such seem popular but it looses a lot of the original image. I want to start selling prints soon as there is lots of interest. I'm curious what you all have to say about what you sell the most of and the compromises involved. I do lots of landscape work.

Thank you

Charlie

Dec 16, 2012 at 06:19 AM
bpark42
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Most popular pint sizes?

In my limited experience, people do seem to prefer prints closer to the 4:5 aspect ratio vs. a wider ratio like 2:3, especially for vertical shots. I happen to personally like the 4:5 ratio, so I will sometimes compose my landscape shots with that ratio in mind for final output.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:51 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Most popular pint sizes?

I think it's absurd to say there is a 'popular' print size or a 'favorite' aspect ratio. As a fine art photographer and printmaker, I allow the image to tell me the size it wants to be, and the combination of the original format used along with the appropriate cropping for composition will determine the final aspect ratio. Remember, cropping is your most powerful compositional tool. It's staggering how many people ignore it's benefits. And what about panoramas, either horizontal or vertical? Trying to fit your work into a predetermined restriction such as 2:3 or 4:5 is strangling.

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:03 PM
John Caldwell
• • •
p.1 #4 · Most popular pint sizes?

The question was about print sizes, so I'll take that to mean size of paper on which print is made. 13x19 is my most common, followed by 17x24 or 17x25. Occasionally some pieces are done on 17x17.5, when it suits the subject.

John Caldwell

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:35 AM
madbloks

p.1 #5 · Most popular pint sizes?

Imperial pints are 18 oz!!! My favorite by far!

Dec 19, 2012 at 02:09 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Most popular pint sizes?

madbloks wrote:

...or a half if Im driving. It just depends on the situation. Sometimes I'll just have a scotch.

Dec 19, 2012 at 03:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Most popular pint sizes?

20x24 for me. Easy to find off-the-shelf frames for and... not too small on the wall!

Dec 19, 2012 at 01:36 PM
bpark42
• • •
p.1 #8 · Most popular pint sizes?

Jeffrey wrote:
As a fine art photographer and printmaker, I allow the image to tell me the size it wants to be, and the combination of the original format used along with the appropriate cropping for composition will determine the final aspect ratio. Remember, cropping is your most powerful compositional tool. It's staggering how many people ignore it's benefits. And what about panoramas, either horizontal or vertical? Trying to fit your work into a predetermined restriction such as 2:3 or 4:5 is strangling.

I agree with all of this 100%, but as you said, this is from the perspective of the photographer/printmaker.

Jeffrey wrote:
I think it's absurd to say there is a 'popular' print size or a 'favorite' aspect ratio.

From the customer standpoint, I am sure certain trends could be identified if we had access to enough data on sales. Popular or favorite may not be the right word, but I would not be surprised if the data showed an apparent preference for one general aspect ratio over another.

Dec 19, 2012 at 04:15 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Most popular pint sizes?

I dont sell enough to justify my remarks by experience.
But I think there is a marketing question nonetheless.
Personally, I crop based on aesthetics. However, if your goal includes selling prints that clients will frame, at the lower price point prints that fit standard frame sizes might be considered a plus.
As this is my hobby, my goal is finding the optimal aesthetic crop, sizing based on any considerations about where the image will be presented, educating clients about how different sizes might look. Most of my prints are 12x18 or 14x21. A few are custom aspect ratios.

Scott

Dec 19, 2012 at 04:30 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #10 · Most popular pint sizes?

madbloks wrote:

Imperial pints are 20 fl oz. If you have been served less, then you need to take it back to the bar and ask for a top up.

Brian A

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:07 PM
iweiner

p.1 #11 · Most popular pint sizes?

hugo, an imperial pint equals in the US 19.2+ us oz!!
So madblocks will need a topping up, but not as much!

irv weiner

Dec 23, 2012 at 04:40 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password