Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       end

Archive 2012 · Anyone else disturbed by...

Greg Campbell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Anyone else disturbed by...

This one?

Flabbergasted that anyone would/could be 'disturbed' by a simple, slightly better-than-average, Tee Vee commercial. Most adds are irritating, condescending, dumb, etc., but 'disturbing' rarely comes to mind. Perhaps you should just turn the dumb thing off?

I've had two people accuse me of being 'reckless' or 'irresponsible' for shooting lighting during Aridzona's summer monsoon. To both, I replied that I'm gonna be dead in a few decades and I'll be damned if I'm going to refrain from doing something that I very much enjoy just because it's somewhat risky. (Rather unsurprisingly, neither person seemed to 'get' my point.) May I gently suggest that you go out and have a little FUN while you can! You sound like some old, grim Catholic nun or priest - some poor soul who has had all the fun and beauty of life beaten out of them by others.

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:55 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Anyone else disturbed by...

xrayvision wrote:
I'll get the thread "on topic".
That commercial had to have been shot with a Canon camera body since there's no way a Nikon camera could have produced the same excellent color tones in the flames of the burning tire rolling down a public street.

That's better, steer the thread back to the usual gear-dweeb fanboy debate!

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:57 PM
eskimochaos
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Anyone else disturbed by...

Grow up.

Dec 17, 2012 at 09:01 PM
HawksFan66
• •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Anyone else disturbed by...

adrianb wrote:
When I first discovered this board (fredmiranda.com) and looking how people discuss various matters (regardless it's lenses, photos, camera bags, filters etc..) I was well impressed that there are actually decent boards where even arguments are carried out with decency and based on actual facts..

But a while back I believe the quality of the posts started to go downhill...

From fanboy discussions and rants about nikon/canon, to rumours and endless topics about what lens / body will Canon release bla bla...

and now to THIS?

Are you people starting to live in glass houses and are afraid that they'll be shattered by a
...Show more

Seems to have attracted you.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:15 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Anyone else disturbed by...

The real problem is people will now want to get chased by giraffes, this is in Africa, chances are a lion is near by. Let's petition Canon to stop people from being eaten.

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:05 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Anyone else disturbed by...

No, it is not particularly out of line with other commercials.

EBH

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:19 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Anyone else disturbed by...

The WTC disaster, the mass killings, wars of any kind, cruelty to animals, the exploitation of women, kidnapped children sold as sex slaves, murderous video games, horrible diseases, torture, greed & power taken to new heights, and all the other sins of mankind ..... that's what I am disturbed about.

Now, what were you saying about a rolling, burning tire advertisement?

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:59 PM
The Box

p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Anyone else disturbed by...

Well disturbing or not it has really worked. How many people have become aware of this commercial only by coming to this forum where people from all parts of the world are discussing it? Canon gets an A+ on this one.

Dec 18, 2012 at 01:16 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Anyone else disturbed by...

borderlight wrote:
The WTC disaster, the mass killings, wars of any kind, cruelty to animals, the exploitation of women, kidnapped children sold as sex slaves, murderous video games, horrible diseases, torture, greed & power taken to new heights, and all the other sins of mankind ..... that's what I am disturbed about.

Now, what were you saying about a rolling, burning tire advertisement?

did you just put 'vioent video games' in that sentence?

Dec 18, 2012 at 04:43 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Anyone else disturbed by...

A steady diet of violent video games that may contribute to real life violence by those young people in need of mental health attention may not be a cause for concern, but that's debatable. I also didn't mention access to assault weapons, or a lack of parental supervision, those other things that didn't make my short list, as playing a part in an eroding society. I think you miss the point by focusing on the least horrific topic while apparently avoiding any understanding of the effects of violent videos beyond the perspective of a "normal" person whose behavior isn't affected.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:27 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Anyone else disturbed by...

On a topic completely unrelated to the unrelated topic of personal responsibility as tied to adverts, is anyone else puckering there lips and caught off-guard (and indeed, aghast) at the sudden and inexorable "popularity" of that Mariah Carey Christmas-y song from 1994, simple popping up all the hell over the place in the US?

Eeeek!

(though I like the chord changes...)

Dec 19, 2012 at 03:15 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Anyone else disturbed by...

On a topic completely unrelated to the unrelated topic of personal responsibility as tied to adverts, is anyone else puckering there lips and caught off-guard (and indeed, aghast) at the sudden and inexorable "popularity" of that Mariah Carey Christmas-y song from 1994, simple popping up all the hell over the place in the US?

Eeeek!

(though I like the chord changes...)

Dec 19, 2012 at 03:15 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Anyone else disturbed by...

Double post, my ass. That's a server-side thing, I clicked but once. Is there no "delete" button anymore?

And drat, I misspelled "their" and "simply".

Dec 19, 2012 at 03:16 AM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Anyone else disturbed by...

I'm seeing double now. Thanks.

Dec 19, 2012 at 04:08 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Anyone else disturbed by...

No you're not.

Sirimiri: The delete button is still available in the edit section if you catch it before somebody else responds.

Dec 19, 2012 at 07:48 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Anyone else disturbed by...

sirimiri wrote:
And drat, I misspelled "their" and "simply".

There's also the "edit" button.

Dec 19, 2012 at 09:18 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Anyone else disturbed by...

There's also the "edit" button.

Or.... there's looking at the post directly above yours.

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Allynb
• • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Anyone else disturbed by...

+1

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:18 AM
digitalgene

p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Anyone else disturbed by...

Let's see, what can we gripe about today?

Dec 21, 2012 at 08:10 AM
vilimo
• • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Anyone else disturbed by...

we've all survived the end of the world...

Dec 21, 2012 at 07:39 PM
       6       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.