Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2012 · Anyone else disturbed by...

HawksFan66
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone else disturbed by...

Is anyone else disturbed by what I feel is irresponsible advertising on Canon's part with their new TV ad depicting a person chasing a burning tire down a residential street to video it with their Canon camera? I know, it's an ad. But tell me you don't think there isn't someone out there who watched that and thought to themselves, "Oh cool! I could do that!"

Dec 16, 2012 at 01:00 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone else disturbed by...

Umm...

Dec 16, 2012 at 01:38 AM
zquaratella
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone else disturbed by...

disturbed? I think other things are far more disturbing these days.

Dec 16, 2012 at 01:58 AM
HawksFan66
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone else disturbed by...

Of course there are far more disturbing things. Everything can be topped. But advertisements like that can lead to problems.

Dec 16, 2012 at 02:06 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone else disturbed by...

Anyone else disturbed by strategically-placed ellipsis?

I don't own a TV, so I had to look it up.

I'm unfazed. In fact the first thing I thought was "Hey, that's Evertt Place!" which is a street about 2 miles east of where I live.

Now, something in advertising that did bother me, was the trend in Europe to show blatant animal cruelty in the early 2000s. For example, munching some FIFA-themed chips or whatever, then kicking a cat like a soccer ball, or the "Evil Twin VW" (or was it Citroen?) what decapitates a curious pigeon with its sunroof, sliding closed.

Stuff that that chafed me a little because it's presented to be humorous but shows animals, even domestic ones, being abused or gravely injured...so as to sell stuff?

But a burning tire on a hilly LA street? That didn't bother me a whit.

Dec 16, 2012 at 02:16 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone else disturbed by...

HawksFan66 wrote:
Of course there are far more disturbing things. Everything can be topped. But advertisements like that can lead to problems.

But it's not really a thing for the Canon mount equipment forum If you like to talk about advertising and what it can do to people, there are other forums here

Dec 16, 2012 at 02:31 AM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone else disturbed by...

I do think it is appropriate for Canon forum. We have even had threads referencing Ashton and the N camera.

Yeah, it is unusual. If you are a pro boarder or stunt person, easily done. For most of us, a broken appendage may be the result.

It's an advert, hopefully most will not follow form, but not all.

Dec 16, 2012 at 02:46 AM
marko1953
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone else disturbed by...

There are far more things to be disturbed about , gun-toting american maniacs for instance.

Dec 16, 2012 at 02:59 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone else disturbed by...

I've seen posts about tripod and bags and other stuff that has nothing to do with Canon gear, multiple times.

As for the ad itself, what's the big deal? Mythbusters provide plenty of "inspiration" for those looking for mischief.

Dec 16, 2012 at 03:03 AM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone else disturbed by...

Hawksfan66
When watching the commercial, I have expressed the same concern to my wife. I believe the ad is irresponsible too.
Steven

Dec 16, 2012 at 03:25 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone else disturbed by...

marko1953 wrote:
There are far more things to be disturbed about , gun-toting american maniacs for instance.

+100

Dec 16, 2012 at 03:41 AM
jorkata
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone else disturbed by...

HawksFan66 wrote:
Is anyone else disturbed ...

Not really. The commercial sets a humorous tone from the beginning and keeps winking at us.
So, I don't think anyone can take seriously the crazy/stupid stuff we see on screen.

As others have said, 'disturbing' is something else altogether.

Dec 16, 2012 at 03:42 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone else disturbed by...

HawksFan66 wrote:
Is anyone else disturbed by what I feel is irresponsible advertising on Canon's part with their new TV ad depicting a person chasing a burning tire down a residential street to video it with their Canon camera? I know, it's an ad. But tell me you don't think there isn't someone out there who watched that and thought to themselves, "Oh cool! I could do that!"

If it troubles you that much I would suggest professional help before it gets out of hand.

Dec 16, 2012 at 03:43 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone else disturbed by...

Gochugogi wrote:
If it troubles you that much I would suggest professional help before it gets out of hand.

Dec 16, 2012 at 03:46 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone else disturbed by...

marko1953 wrote:

+1

Dec 16, 2012 at 03:46 AM
jorkata
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anyone else disturbed by...

Hmm. A gun-toting maniac outside of the US caused a 3x larger loss of life last year.

But of course one also has to question why maniacs with guns get constitutional protection in certain countries.

Dec 16, 2012 at 04:09 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anyone else disturbed by...

Commenting on the advertising industry generally I often find their lack of values disturbing. The solution is simple, get rid of the TV. You will find you have more time to live your life and don't have to worry about your children being mind*****d by amoral shallow ad execs, who, forgive me, would sell their grandmas for a new Porsche.

The ad footprint of the web is much easier to filter out, I suggest you go online and switch off the old TV. After a year or two you will wonder what the attraction of the tube ever was.

Dec 16, 2012 at 04:26 AM
mabidally
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anyone else disturbed by...

Every other movie shows gun toting heroes, should we ban all these movies too? After all there is a serious problem in America with guns.

Dec 16, 2012 at 05:03 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anyone else disturbed by...

How does a thread discussing a Canon ad develop into an anti gun discussion? Can't people stay on topic? I've thought of the ad, but wouldn't say I'm disturbed by it. They probably could have chosen some better subject matter, but they are trying to show(I think anyway) that Canon users are creative. There are many instances when photographers and videographers throw caution to the wind or do things that the casual observer would think is unsafe to strive to push the envelope or get the shot that they are after so I don't think the concept is so over the top.

Dec 16, 2012 at 05:21 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anyone else disturbed by...

A guy just went on a shooting spree in a highschool and some people here are disturbed by a rolling flaming tyre in a commercial with a warning at the bottom that says "Professional stuntperson with safety gear. Do not attempt."?

No wonder the Western world has gone PC crazy and nanny-state. How sheltered is your life people?

Dec 16, 2012 at 05:46 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.