Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Nikon not performing up to snuff

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Nikon not performing up to snuff

I wish I had a second body to compare to...but during the last few weddings, I found the 85mm lacking in 1. low light tracking (where it had previously done pretty well) and 2. it couldn't focus accurately, no matter how many tries it had, on a bride's face at about 15-20 feet distance with the sky behind her. You would think it would lock nicely onto that darker object surrounded by white and blue, but it pretty much gave me inaccurate focus lock every time (like 8-10 tries). I was disappointed, although it does go along with the associated accuracy issues I've seen with distant subjects and 85mm on the D800.

I didn't take the new replacement 35mm out for yesterday's wedding, but I used it for getting ready for the previous wedding and it gave generally accurate center point AF-S shots with generally inaccurate (backfocused often) AF-C shots with any point, especially outer points. Field curvature? Focus shift? Not sure, was around f/1.6-f/2.

Anyway...if I gave up the Nikon I would miss the autoISO for daylight and mixed shadows, and I would miss the dynamic range recovery of shadows...but if it keeps disappointing me (I posted my focus issues on the Nikon forum to see if there are workarounds) then I will probably dump it in favor of a 5d3...which I didn't really think I'd ever do.

Dec 15, 2012 at 06:38 PM
Joshua Gull
• •
p.1 #2 · Nikon not performing up to snuff

If Nikon's AF system disappoints you, I'd hate to hear the things you'd say about a Canon body (even the 5D3).

Dec 15, 2012 at 07:10 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #3 · Nikon not performing up to snuff

Nikon's AF is significantly better than Canon at pretty much every equivalent level of the DSLRs. What body do you shoot with? Do you use back button focusing? Which version of the 85mm are you using?

With the limited information you've provided, there are two likely explanations.

1) Your lens is malfunctioning and needs repair.
2) User error or lack of understanding of the Nikon AF system.

Jumping platforms for either of those reasons is a preposterous idea.

Dec 15, 2012 at 07:26 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Nikon not performing up to snuff

do some controlled tests, could be a MA issue, lens issue, or an af point issue. (or just user error :-P )

No need to diagnose during an event.

Dec 15, 2012 at 07:30 PM
MattSepeta
• • •
p.1 #5 · Nikon not performing up to snuff

Didn't you just change from Canon to Nikon because of AF issues like this?

I have been nothing but happy with my 5DIII, much more so than 5DII although it was not the slouch it's made out to be.

Dec 15, 2012 at 07:51 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Nikon not performing up to snuff

Nothing is going to be perfect all of the time. Low light tracking is probably the most demanding situation for an AF system to get right - especially if you're shooting in the type of churches I've shot it. ISO 3200, F1.4, 1/125 is pretty typical. That said, at those light levels, both the 5DII and 5DIII do a good job at center point tracking of a bride. I would never track with an off-center AF point in those conditions.

Dec 15, 2012 at 08:30 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Nikon not performing up to snuff

I didn't ever change, but I bought ONE D800 with 85 f/1.8g and 35 f/1.4g to try alongside my Canon kit of three 5d2s and one 40D. It's not at all that I'm 100% happy with my 5d2 performance, as they can miss many things - although they seem to be pretty good for getting those sudden 1/2-second-to-react shots with 35L. In the past, I have found that consistent misfocus at longer distances tends to mean microadjustment problems. The problem is, I can take the D800 and 85g and point it at any number of straight-on or oblique objects from 10-35 feet away right outside my door and it pretty much nails the shots. Yet, in moderately light, my D800 and 85g using center point refused to lock accurately on a bride's face from 15 feet away.

Dec 15, 2012 at 09:25 PM
joshmitchell

p.1 #8 · Nikon not performing up to snuff

I just switched platforms. My Nikon cameras rarely had big issues locking on, but getting them in focus could be a completely different situation. Is it just the one lens you are having issues with?

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:28 PM
DavidCZ
• • •
p.1 #9 · Nikon not performing up to snuff

I have been using Nikon system for a long time and had no AF problems.

The only reason that I picked up Canon 5D3 is that Nikon did not release a 24MP professional body upgrade. Both Nikon's D800 and D600 are not geared for wedding pros.

I still miss Nikon's flash system a lot. Canon's 600EX-RT is still not good enough compared to Nikon's SB900. I also need to pay more than 2k for a canon 24-70 II lens with a similar performance to Nikon's 24-70.

BTW, I got a Nikon D600 but only use it for travel and personal stuff, not for weddings.

Dec 16, 2012 at 02:29 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Nikon not performing up to snuff

35 and 85 have somewhat different issues, but both often misfocus when pointed at a more distant subject or when there is strong backlight.

Dec 17, 2012 at 02:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Nikon not performing up to snuff

form wrote:
often misfocus when pointed at a more distant subject or when there is strong backlight

Have you ever run a simple test to see how large the focus points actually are? Often, the actual focus point size is not the same size as the small focus square that you see in the viewfinder.

Dec 17, 2012 at 04:27 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Nikon not performing up to snuff

Sorry you're having troubles. I have never had issues with any of my gear. Hope Nikon fixes it for you

Dec 17, 2012 at 04:28 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Nikon not performing up to snuff

Yes I've noticed focus point size difference from actual point size on viewfinder with other cameras and it's obviously possible that is the problem in some cases.

Dec 17, 2012 at 05:28 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Nikon not performing up to snuff

form wrote:
I've noticed focus point size difference from actual point size on viewfinder with other cameras and it's obviously possible that is the problem in some cases.

It could be part of the problem here if you have a subject some distance away that is not completely filling a large focus point. I've worked with cameras before that have large focus points and if the subject doesn't fill the focus point, most often the camera catches focus on what's behind the subject.

If you anyone needs a simple focus point size test, let me know.

Dec 17, 2012 at 05:35 AM
BriMcD
• •
p.1 #15 · Nikon not performing up to snuff

I just had an issue with my 85/1.4. Images were back and front focusing. Sent it in for repair and problem solved. They have a 5 year warranty on them.

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:14 PM
megalime

p.1 #16 · Nikon not performing up to snuff

Have the lens checked out. This isn't normal operation.

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:16 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Nikon not performing up to snuff

Nikon AF is amazing. If you are not happy with that compared to the Canon stuff then you have one or a few problems...
1. You have gear that is not calibrated.
2. You have poor shooting form and the D800 is magnifying everything because of the monster megapixel count.
3. You have some sort of weird psychological thing going on and you are never happy with anything.

Seriously though... send it in and have it looked at. I would also sell the D800 and get either a used D3 or a D600. The D800 is WAYYYY to much camera for wedding work.
The Nikon cameras should IMO smoke the Canon stuff especially the 5d2.

Dec 26, 2012 at 02:16 AM
Tajmul12345

p.1 #18 · Nikon not performing up to snuff

Nikon AF camera is better for wedding shot and i have been used Nikon long time.

Dec 26, 2012 at 04:09 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Nikon not performing up to snuff

hardlyboring wrote:
I would also sell the D800 and get either a used D3 or a D600.

Isn't the D600 auto-focus spec'd to be a step down from the D800? I heard the D600 auto-focus is the same system that's in the D7000 and the D800 got the D4's auto-focus system.

Dec 26, 2012 at 05:58 AM
bthatton
• • •
p.1 #20 · Nikon not performing up to snuff

hardlyboring wrote:
Nikon AF is amazing. If you are not happy with that compared to the Canon stuff then you have one or a few problems...
1. You have gear that is not calibrated.
2. You have poor shooting form and the D800 is magnifying everything because of the monster megapixel count.
3. You have some sort of weird psychological thing going on and you are never happy with anything.

Seriously though... send it in and have it looked at. I would also sell the D800 and get either a used D3 or a D600. The D800 is WAYYYY to much camera for wedding work.
The
...Show more

D3s is still the best wedding camera bang for the buck in my opinion. What a beast to own for low $3000s.

Dec 26, 2012 at 06:53 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password