Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · 5D3 quieter than 1Dx in silent mode?

DavidP
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D3 quieter than 1Dx in silent mode?

From Ken Rockwell's comparison (yeah, yeah, I know )

In their normal single-shot modes, the 5D Mark III is quieter. This makes sense; the 5D Mark III is running at half the speed.

In its "Silent" mode, the 1D X is significantly louder than the 5D Mark III is in its "Silent" mode. The 5D Mark III's Silent mode is smooth and quiet, while the 1D X' Silent mode is still noisy.

In fact, the 1D X' silent mode disconnects the shutter cycle into two noises, taking and then flipping down the mirror, either of which is much louder than the 5D Mark III's complete Silent shutter shot.

The 5D Mark III's
...Show more

Is this pretty much true? If so, that's a huge advantage to the 5D3 for me, since I like to shoot in quiet music venues.

Dec 15, 2012 at 04:38 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D3 quieter than 1Dx in silent mode?

Yes, I thought it was definitely quieter...

Dec 15, 2012 at 04:40 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D3 quieter than 1Dx in silent mode?

I haven't used the 1Dx, however the silent mode in the 5D3 is silky quiet.

Dec 15, 2012 at 04:44 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D3 quieter than 1Dx in silent mode?

NCAndy wrote:
I haven't used the 1Dx, however the silent mode in the 5D3 is silky quiet.

+1

By far the quietest slr I've ever used, film or digital

Dec 15, 2012 at 04:48 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D3 quieter than 1Dx in silent mode?

And you are not limited to only a single shot mode, too.

Dec 15, 2012 at 05:02 PM
SeverianTL
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D3 quieter than 1Dx in silent mode?

Check The-Digital-Picture.com DSLR review page for the reviews of the 1D-X and the 5D3. About half-way down each of those reviews you'll find some mp3's comparing various shutter sounds. I have neither of these two cameras but, from everything I've read, "silent" really isn't for the 1D-X but is for the 5D3.

Dec 15, 2012 at 05:03 PM
Claude
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D3 quieter than 1Dx in silent mode?

Best would be to try it! I think it is a top feature of this camera.

Claude

Dec 15, 2012 at 05:14 PM
speedmaster20d
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D3 quieter than 1Dx in silent mode?

yes the 5D3 is much quieter than 1DX

Dec 15, 2012 at 05:17 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D3 quieter than 1Dx in silent mode?

speedmaster20d wrote:
yes the 5D3 is much quieter than 1DX

+1. FM member Stanj posted a short clip on YouTube demonstrating the various drive modes in both 1DX and 5D3. This silent shutter is a major reason why I keep finding myself reaching for 5D3 over 1DX.

Dec 15, 2012 at 06:01 PM
DavidP
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D3 quieter than 1Dx in silent mode?

Thanks for the feedback and links. I went to a semi-local camera store today. Not only did they have the 1Dx and 5D3 (and grip), they had Canon reps (and reps from Nikon, Panasonic, etc) there.

The 5D3 is indeed MUCH more quiet than the 1Dx in silent mode.

The thing I think I'd miss the most by not getting the 1Dx is the spot-meterning that can be tied to the activei AF point. That can come in quite handy sometimes.

Too bad they couldn't meet the online prices (even forgetting about the difference between tax and shipping). Cost them the sale of a 5D3, BG-11 grip, 24-70/2.8 II, and 70-200/2.8 IS II.

Dec 16, 2012 at 01:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D3 quieter than 1Dx in silent mode?

Ouch! Too bad for them. That's a killer combo you got yourself!

Dec 16, 2012 at 03:29 AM
DavidP
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D3 quieter than 1Dx in silent mode?

Well, I don't have it YET. I guess with Canon's new MAP policy in place, I need to call about 5 or 6 camera shops that I've dealt with in the past to see what their "real price" is and if any will offer a discount for purchasing them all at the same time.

I hope I don't regret giving up the primes I own to get this combo. Which is why I'll wait until I get it and try it out first before selling off most of the lenses.

I've never liked the thin DOF from shooting faster than f/2.8, and it'll only get worse on the full-frame camera. Typically I'd prefer to shoot around f/4 for DOF purposes, but I think (maybe I'm wrong?) that the new f/2.8 zooms are more "prime killers" than the f/4 versions and that the AF will benefit from the f/2.8, too.

Just selling the 200/2 IS and 50/1.0 could pay for the new stuff. But I'd also probably get rid of the 24/1.4, 35/1.4, 85/1.2, 24-70/2.8 (mk-I), 24-105/4 IS, and 15/2.8 fisheye.

Not sure yet on the 400/4 DO IS and 500/4 IS. The former might be worth keeping simply because it's so light and easy to carry. In a way I'd like the 200-400/4 IS, but it's gonna be a beast, I imagine. Any word yet on whether it's lighter or heavier than the 8.5 lb 500/4 IS?

Dec 16, 2012 at 04:57 AM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5D3 quieter than 1Dx in silent mode?

I am not aware of any official specs regarding weight of the 200-400L, but here is a link from CanonRumors basically stating that someone who used it thinks it weighs about as much as the new 600 and old 500 (about 8.5lbs). Of course, the rumored price tag is quite a bit heavier...

Dec 16, 2012 at 02:05 PM
Lan11
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5D3 quieter than 1Dx in silent mode?

Probably one of the quitest with the lowest mirror vibrations cameras on the market.
Definitly so, when compared vs. 1D4 and 5D2. Reminds me of the old 10D.
All in all an excellent camera totally redesigned with only the name carried from the previous models. Almost everything has been improved: AF, LCD, power switch, locable mode dial, menus........but I wish they didn't move the magnification button to the left side.

Dec 16, 2012 at 03:18 PM
kevinsullivan
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5D3 quieter than 1Dx in silent mode?

Haven't done the comparison, but I can say that the 5D III quiet mode is great. I can shoot in venues and at moments that had never previously been possible with a DSLR. Canon really ought to make an add: quiet part of some opera, dork with normal DSLR takes shot, action stops, everybody turns, scowling, shamed dork slinks away, head bowed, while 5D III user shoots away, smugly unnoticed, and gets the shot. Really, it's very quiet, and I'm now able to shoot at concerts at times where I never before would have taken a shot. Major selling point in my view (combined with all the other greatness of the 5D III, which, for me, particularly means good color even at very high ISO). --K

Dec 16, 2012 at 04:37 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5D3 quieter than 1Dx in silent mode?

I shot side by side with my 1Dx and a friend's 5D3 and the 1DX's "silent mode" is hilariously not-silent compared to the 5D3.

Dec 16, 2012 at 05:06 PM
DavidP
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5D3 quieter than 1Dx in silent mode?

I was shooting once with my 1D3 (in silent mode) at a small club in Nashville, about 10' away from the performer. I was positioned such that I would be getting profile shots of her.

I carefully watched through the first verse and chorus to see when I'd probably want to take shots later during that song. There were a couple of "key moments" when the singer (who was also playing guitar) would hit a loud note, move her head back from the mic, and have her mouth very open.

After the song was over, she made a comment while talking to the audience about how I was only capturing her photo when whe had her mouth open.

I was astounded that not only could she hear the shutter, but that she could focus on playing guitar, singing, AND what her position was when the shutter clicked.

After the song, she

Dec 16, 2012 at 09:32 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5D3 quieter than 1Dx in silent mode?

I too was somewhat surprised at how un-silent the 1DX is in 'silent' advance while shooting an event. The way the sound is dragged out IMO was more noticeable and annoying than the regular advance modes, so just switched back to continuous high and would shoot off 3-4 frames to give me some selection rather than endure the dragged out silent advance.

While I haven't made a point to pay attention to it yet with the 1DX, I found with the 1DIII and IV that shooting in silent advance while in live view was a quieter option. I don't have the camera with me at the moment, but pretty sure it's pretty quiet in live view, but that's not going to be useful in some situations.

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:44 PM
DavidP
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5D3 quieter than 1Dx in silent mode?

mitesh wrote:
Ouch! Too bad for them. That's a killer combo you got yourself!

I added the EF 1.4x III and EF 2x III teleconverters, too, plus a reduced price copy of Lightroom 4.

I don't know how much better the new TCs will be compared to my Mk-II versions, but presumably they won't be worse.

Dec 18, 2012 at 03:42 AM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5D3 quieter than 1Dx in silent mode?

Sounds like quite the Christmas at the DavidP household... Congrats!

Dec 18, 2012 at 03:55 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password