Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2012 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

speedmaster20d wrote:
They used UDMA 6 SanDisk cards.

So you neither have a 1DX nor a SanDisk UDMA 7 card yet you are convinced for sure that Lexar is faster!

BTW, I didn't say they had the same numerical speed. I said I did not see a difference when bursting RAWs with a 1DX. As I mentioned I will test the actual bandwidth and post the results on my site. We will see

How do you know they all used UDMA 6 cards Because they didn't say that!!

Dec 16, 2012 at 02:59 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

I will do a test in a few weeks. I did it with my 1D4 a couple of months ago. And I'm buying the 1DX at Christmas. I also have a lot of different cards. The few I miss, I'm sure some friends will lend me for a test.
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1137133

Dec 16, 2012 at 03:05 PM
Blue Vision

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

Setting the alleged speed differences of the Lexar 1000x vs Sandisk Extreme Pro aside, what about durabilty?

At B&H Photo's website Sandisk claims:

"SanDisk Extreme Pro cards feature RTV silicone coating for added protection against moisture and humidity. Tested to perform in extreme cold to hot environments (-13° to 185°F / -25°C to 85°C), Extreme cards are subject to rigorous stress, shock, and vibration testing."

I do not see such claims made by Lexar.

Looking at reviews of the Lexar 1000x 32GB (2 packs) I see 2 people reporting failure out of 82 reviews.

The Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB has 416 reviews and after looking at quite a few pages I did not see anyone reporting a failure.

I was about to buy a 2 pack of the Lexar 1000x but now I have come full circle and will probably get the Sandisk instead unless someone has any experience using these in extreme conditions.

Reliability is more important to me than alleged speed differences.

Dec 16, 2012 at 03:11 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

Blue Vision wrote:
Setting the alleged speed differences of the Lexar 1000x vs Sandisk Extreme Pro aside, what about durabilty?

At B&H Photo's website Sandisk claims:

"SanDisk Extreme Pro cards feature RTV silicone coating for added protection against moisture and humidity. Tested to perform in extreme cold to hot environments (-13° to 185°F / -25°C to 85°C), Extreme cards are subject to rigorous stress, shock, and vibration testing."

I do not see such claims made by Lexar.

Looking at reviews of the Lexar 1000x 32GB (2 packs) I see 2 people reporting failure out of 82 reviews.

The Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB has 416 reviews
...Show more

http://diglloyd.com/blog/2012/20120611_2-SanDisk-card-errors.html
http://diglloyd.com/blog/2011/20110720_1-SanDiskCards-gear.html

Dec 16, 2012 at 03:17 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

Something I think worth pointing out about cold weather performance... and of course this will depend on how you're shooting in the cold... is if it's something like a football game (at least for me), I'm shooting pretty much constantly and the internals of the camera actually warm up a fair amount due to the significant CPU and data transfer activity. Therefore, while cold weather rating is nice, in some situations, it might not really make a difference if the camera's internals are operating at an above freezing temperature.

BTW, in the 1DX, I've been using older Transcend 16GB 600x UDMA6 and new Transcend 32GB UDMA7 cards. I do notice a slight difference between the two, in favour of the UDMA7s clearing the buffer faster and extending the buffer depth.

Like Lars, I'm a Transcend fan because they've been solid for me over the past 10 years and offer a very competitive value/performance ratio. Yes, perhaps the Lexars and Sandisk are at times slightly faster, but at least for me, it hasn't been enough of an incentive to spend up to double, or so, for equivalent capacity.

While some will argue, if you're going to spend $7K on a camera, what's another $70 per card? Fair enough, but I have yet to experience a reason not to get the Transcend cards...

Dec 16, 2012 at 03:20 PM
Blue Vision

p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
http://diglloyd.com/blog/2012/20120611_2-SanDisk-card-errors.html
http://diglloyd.com/blog/2011/20110720_1-SanDiskCards-gear.html

In the first link you posted:

"DIGLLOYD: First the Lexar SDXC card failure and now sporadic corrupted files with the SanDisk card. Could there be a D800 / D800E firmware bug?"

"DIGLLOYD: I suppose the card reader cannot be ruled out, and I will definitely look at that. However, I was using a new FW800 card reader."

"DIGLLOYD: Suggestive that camera model could be an issue."

It is not really clear whether it is a card issue, a reader issue or a camera issue.

Dec 16, 2012 at 03:35 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

Look at the second link. He stopped using the Sandisk after many failures. And a few other people also say that if you look there. But every brand can have bad cards of course.

In the first link: you only post his reply to a comment from a forum reader. Without all the comments/replies between those people it will look strange of course.

Dec 16, 2012 at 03:42 PM
speedmaster20d
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

I can tell you SanDisk pro cards are waterproof or at least weather proof. I don't sit and shoot inside my room, but I shoot in place like Alaska with snow falling on my gear where it forms ice or in Florida where it's a like sauna day in and day out.

I dropped my SanDisk cards in Ocean Shores, WA last year. The cards were exposed to the elements (salt water, rain, cold temperatures etc.) for about 40 days. Someone from this forum (Tin Man who is a great nature photographer) accidentally found them and mailed them back. The cards were in a slip, it had decomposed and almost destroyed but the cards were good. I downloaded my data and fortunately everything was intact. end of the story for me.

If you shoot still subjects in a room, of course you can shoot it again. But if you shoot something like wildlife if you lose your data you are done.

Dec 16, 2012 at 05:38 PM
speedmaster20d
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

I think Digiloyd site is misleading, it does not say whether cards failed in camera or he used a bad card reader. Some card readers can corrupt data, sometimes even the OS can corrupt data if you try to copy with certain apps.

If the cards fail in-camera while shooting or they can't display a recorded image in-camera that's a card failure.

he never tried SanDisk software to recover the images either, the sw can tell you if data is really corrupted at bit level.

Dec 16, 2012 at 05:44 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

speedmaster20d wrote:
I think Digiloyd site is misleading, it does not say whether cards failed in camera or he used a bad card reader. Some card readers can corrupt data, sometimes even the OS can corrupt data if you try to copy with certain apps.

If the cards fail in-camera while shooting or they can't display a recorded image in-camera that's a card failure.

he never tried SanDisk software to recover the images either, the sw can tell you if data is really corrupted at bit level.

He hade more about it later on his website. He change them and started with Lexar. For me it's not a big deal. You can find people that have bad cards with every brand. But there where also many other people in his blog that had problems with bad Sandisk cards.
It sounds like you are working for Sandisk Or do you really belive there never have been a few bad cards from them ?

Dec 16, 2012 at 06:04 PM
Blue Vision

p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

speedmaster20d wrote:
I can tell you SanDisk pro cards are waterproof or at least weather proof. I don't sit and shoot inside my room, but I shoot in place like Alaska with snow falling on my gear where it forms ice or in Florida where it's a like sauna day in and day out.

I dropped my SanDisk cards in Ocean Shores, WA last year. The cards were exposed to the elements (salt water, rain, cold temperatures etc.) for about 40 days. Someone from this forum (Tin Man who is a great nature photographer) accidentally found them and mailed them back. The
...Show more

Thanks, I am definitely going with the Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB cards.

I have used smaller Sandisk Extreme III cards with my Canon 1DS III and have never had a problem.

I just purchased a Canon 1DX so I need something fast and reliable.

Can you tell me if the Sandisk UDMA 7 cards actually have that printed on the cards themselves?

The B&H Photo website says:
"Note! Please note that the box may say UDMA 6"

If the cards themselves say UDMA 7 then I will know I am getting what I paid for and if they say UDMA 6 then the B&H Photo return policy will take care of me, no problem

Dec 16, 2012 at 06:16 PM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

Lars turned me on to Transcend and it's all I use now, why waste all that extra money on a brand name, it's silly! If you are worried then put 2 cards in and just shoot to both, one RAW and the other JPEG

Dec 16, 2012 at 06:19 PM
Blue Vision

p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
He hade more about it later on his website. He change them and started with Lexar. For me it's not a big deal. You can find people that have bad cards with every brand. But there where also many other people in his blog that had problems with bad Sandisk cards.
It sounds like you are working for Sandisk Or do you really belive there never have been a few bad cards from them ?

I seriously doubt that he works for Sandisk, He's just had good luck with them so far, as I have.

Obviously any brand can and will have failures, it is the % of failures that concerns me.

So for now I am going to stick with a brand I have had good luck with and if I have problems in the future I will have to reconsider my strategy.

Dec 16, 2012 at 06:25 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

Regardless of the relative speed or reliability of the cards it still seems insane for a company to intentionally mislabel a product.

Dec 16, 2012 at 06:39 PM
Blue Vision

p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

John P Mulgrew wrote:
Lars turned me on to Transcend and it's all I use now, why waste all that extra money on a brand name, it's silly! If you are worried then put 2 cards in and just shoot to both, one RAW and the other JPEG

Looking at the B&H Photo website the Transcend UDMA 7 cards are actually $4.95 more than the Sandisk UDMA 7 cards.

How are you saving any money by purchasing them over the Sandisk UDMA 7 cards?

Dec 16, 2012 at 07:06 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

Sandisk extreme pro 128GB $ 699
Transcend 1000x 128GB $ 430

Sandisk extreme pro 16GB $ 78,50
Transcend 1000x 16GB $ 65

Sandisk extreme pro 32GB $ 147,50
Transcend 1000x 32GB $ 108,50

Transcend also have the 600x UDMA 7 card and they have a lower price than the 1000x

Prices from B&H

Dec 17, 2012 at 01:20 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

Blue Vision wrote:
If the cards themselves say UDMA 7 then I will know I am getting what I paid for and if they say UDMA 6 then the B&H Photo return policy will take care of me, no problem

As long as you didn't break the shrink plastic packaging. Which is impossible to comply with if you actually want to take the card out.

Dec 17, 2012 at 01:54 AM
speedmaster20d
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

Lars Johnsson wrote:

I just never had a single SanDisk card fail on me and it kept my data safe in extreme conditions time and time over again.

I had a Lexar card fail on me in my 20D in 2005. I stayed away until this summer when I bought the 32GB 1000X through B&H deal that was advertised here on this forum. Both my Lexar's failed in the middle of a shoot and I missed a great interaction shot between two white-tailed kites, I saw it in the finder but my camera locked up! Now imagine if I had lost my eagle shots in Alaska, the pain is unbearable.

You would be pissed if you were in my shoes, trust me so maybe I am biased. I hope it never happens to anyone.

Dec 17, 2012 at 02:16 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

A friend went on a California large format photography workshop a number of years ago... Coming back, airport security opened his box of exposed film. No matter what one does, sh!t can happen beyond one's control....

BTW, I also had issues with Lexar cards back around 2005 with lock-ups/freezes in a 1DII. IIRC, it was an issue eventually resolved with a firmware update from Canon and/or product replacement by Lexar...

Dec 17, 2012 at 03:36 AM
Deborah Kolt
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

My experience with Transcend cards was completely different from Lars': two different cards failed on me within a month of one another, with loss of data both times. I would never risk using a Transcend product again.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:58 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.