Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2012 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

firstgear99
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

There are a lot of cards available today and I like to buy SanDisc, you get what you pay for. So, how fast a card do I really need for the camera to write to? New 1Dx, is the extreme fast enough at 60mb/s or will the next faster card really be able to be that much faster I would be able to know it from the buffer unloading faster?

Comments? Experience?

Dec 15, 2012 at 04:29 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

What do you shoot? Do you use it for sport, birds and similar stuff where you shoot very fast bursts with many pics?
I think Transcend or Lexar are better value and also faster than Sandisk.

Dec 15, 2012 at 04:38 PM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
What do you shoot? Do you use it for sport, birds and similar stuff where you shoot very fast bursts with many pics?
I think Transcend or Lexar are better value and also faster than Sandisk.

I shoot everything....birds, cars, buildings, people, if I can point my camera at it, chances are I will shoot it.

We were up in Alaska one time and while my wife went salmon fishing with her nephew I went looking for eagles, I stumbled upon 20-30 eagles in trees/flying/eating on the waters edge. A fisherman had cleaned his catch and the pieces were were floating up on shore. I had ever seen so many eagles at one time in one place. The sky had them flying everywhere. I couldn't shoot fast enough. Fortunately I had two cameras and as the buffer filled on one I was firing with the other. At one point both were unloading and I was waiting!

Is there really a difference you can see with the cards? I don't care how fast they can output files through a card reader, I do care how fast they really can be written to in real life. Not just specs.

Dec 15, 2012 at 05:04 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

The Lexar 1000x is really fast. RG has not tested the 1D-X, but the Lexar 1000x is faster that the others in late-model Canon bodies like the 5D III.

EBH

Dec 15, 2012 at 05:14 PM
speedmaster20d
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

I recommend SanDisk extreme pro cards. I only trust my data with SanDisk because through the past 8 years it has never failed on me. even when the cards were dropped in water, extreme temp etc. Lexar has failed on me too many times, including 2 latest 1000X cards. would not recommend.

Note that the data on RG site is a bit obsolete now, when he tested the extreme pro cards they were UDMA 6. The ones that are sold now are UDMA 7. With two extreme pro cards in my 1DX, buffer is virtually unlimited when shooting RAW at 12fps.

Dec 15, 2012 at 05:24 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

firstgear99 wrote:
I shoot everything....birds, cars, buildings, people, if I can point my camera at it, chances are I will shoot it.

We were up in Alaska one time and while my wife went salmon fishing with her nephew I went looking for eagles, I stumbled upon 20-30 eagles in trees/flying/eating on the waters edge. A fisherman had cleaned his catch and the pieces were were floating up on shore. I had ever seen so many eagles at one time in one place. The sky had them flying everywhere. I couldn't shoot fast enough. Fortunately I had two cameras and as the buffer
...Show more

Yes there is a huge difference in real life shooting. Different cards have very different speeds in the camera.

Dec 15, 2012 at 05:26 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

speedmaster20d wrote:
I recommend SanDisk extreme pro cards. I only trust my data with SanDisk because through the past 8 years it has never failed on me. even when the cards were dropped in water, extreme temp etc. Lexar has failed on me too many times, including 2 latest 1000X cards. would not recommend.

Note that the data on RG site is a bit obsolete now, when he tested the extreme pro cards they were UDMA 6. The ones that are sold now are UDMA 7. With two extreme pro cards in my 1DX, buffer is virtually unlimited when shooting RAW at
...Show more

Many of the Sandisk cards that are sold today are still UDMA 6 cards. As you can see on Amazon & B&H and other shops.
No other card (non Sandisk) have failed for me in the last ten years that I have used memory cards in my cameras. All the big brands are good and safe. It's more about speed and cost.

Dec 15, 2012 at 05:31 PM
speedmaster20d
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Many of the Sandisk cards that are sold today are still UDMA 6 cards. As you can see on Amazon & B&H and other shops.
No other card (non Sandisk) have failed for me in the last ten years that I have used memory cards in my cameras. All the big brands are good and safe. It's more about speed and cost.

No, the ones from B&H are UDMA 7. They are advertised as UDMA 6 on their site but the card is UDMA 7.

I never recommend Lexar because they also failed on two of my close friends who are also pro wildlife photographers. I don't know how you shoot but I sometimes go through 3K-4K RAW file in one 1/2 hours if action is intense. I shoot in environments from 100F to 0F.

Dec 15, 2012 at 05:47 PM
WebDog
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

Sandisk says 128GB CF is UDMA7 but smaller is UDMA6. Performance/speed: Up to 100MB/sec write speed for the 128GB capacity, read speed lower (667X); Up to 90MB/sec read/write speeds for 16-64GB capacity

Dec 15, 2012 at 05:58 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

I have friends that have bought Sandisk Pro from Amazon.uk and Amazon.de. They both got UDMA 6 cards in 32GB and 64GB sizes. Both spec, pics and description on Amazon and B&H also say UDMA 6.
You will find people with bad cards from every brand. diglloyd (Lloyd Chambers) change from Sandisk cards to other brands this year. The reason was that many of his Sandisk cards where bad. You can read about it on hid website. Every brand can have bad cards, cameras or lenses.
I also use Transcend 1000x cards. They are fast and good.

Dec 15, 2012 at 06:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

speedmaster20d
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

WebDog wrote:
Sandisk says 128GB CF is UDMA7 but smaller is UDMA6. Performance/speed: Up to 100MB/sec write speed for the 128GB capacity, read speed lower (667X); Up to 90MB/sec read/write speeds for 16-64GB capacity

No, the smaller ones are UDMA 7 too. This is one that I got from B&H 3 months ago. I have four more

They haven't updated their site

obviously no one here actually owns these cards. I would not comment on something I have not used myself.

(c) 2012 AH

Dec 15, 2012 at 06:08 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

There was a thread about this many months ago. Some people also wrote the same as you, about not updating the sites. It's still the same 4-5 months later. Even the Sandisk site And what about the cards my two friends got from two different Amazon shops ? They where UDMA 6. So then they sell both new and old versions

Dec 15, 2012 at 06:14 PM
speedmaster20d
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

I don't know about Europe.

In the US all SanDisk extreme pro cards currently sold are UDMA 7. Unless you buy from eBay where you may even get a counterfeit or buy from a brick and mortar store with old stock.

I will ask SanDisk to update their website.

Dec 15, 2012 at 06:18 PM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

The Lexar 1000x is much faster than the SanDisk ExtremePro. It clearly shows when emptying the buffer.

Dec 15, 2012 at 07:58 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

firstgear99 wrote:
There are a lot of cards available today and I like to buy SanDisc, you get what you pay for. So, how fast a card do I really need for the camera to write to? New 1Dx, is the extreme fast enough at 60mb/s or will the next faster card really be able to be that much faster I would be able to know it from the buffer unloading faster?

Comments? Experience?

Not sure about the 1DX, but with the 5D3 and 7D you absolutely do not maximize the buffer with 60MB/s Sanddisk, not even close, infact even with the 90 MB/s ExtremePro SandDisc you still don't maximize the buffer, although it is at least getting closer for the 7D. Lexar 1000x cards should do the trick though. I compared them all and get best performance from those on 7D and evenmoreso with 5D3. (perhaps 1DX is different though, but I doubt it)

Edited on Dec 15, 2012 at 08:04 PM · View previous versions

Dec 15, 2012 at 08:03 PM
ggreene
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

The Lexar 1000x is listed as having a write speed of 145MB/s and the Sandisk Extreme Pro at 90MB/s. I'm about to move up to faster CF cards to clear buffer quicker in my 1DX and was wondering if that speed difference shows up at the camera level. If not, I would rather stay with Sandisk as they have been more reliable for me over the years.

Dec 15, 2012 at 08:04 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

skibum5 wrote:
Not sure about the 1DX, but with the 5D3 and 7D you absolutely do not maximize the buffer with 60MB/s Sanddisk, not even close, infact even with the 90 MB/s ExtremePro SandDisc you still don't maximize the buffer, although it is at least getting closer for the 7D. Lexar 1000x cards should do the trick though. I compared them all and get best performance from those on 7D and evenmoreso with 5D3. (perhaps 1DX is different though, but I doubt it)

my sandisk extreme 90mb/s extreme pro were udma6 though and i see here that apparently they now have them with udma7 so i dont know, maybe those match the lexar

i've only a single card ever fail and it was a sandisc 12GB extremepro III, not sure you can read much into forum reports as the sample sizes are wayyyy small, unless you see every other person having one type fail; I have three 32GB lexar 1000x cards, put through heavy sports shooting usage and high bitrate video and no failures, but again 3 is a small sample size, you'd really need to collect serious data from a thousand people I'd think to begin to make sense of it

Dec 15, 2012 at 08:06 PM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

ggreene wrote:
The Lexar 1000x is listed as having a write speed of 145MB/s and the Sandisk Extreme Pro at 90MB/s. I'm about to move up to faster CF cards to clear buffer quicker in my 1DX and was wondering if that speed difference shows up at the camera level. If not, I would rather stay with Sandisk as they have been more reliable for me over the years.

It absolutely does. I have both and speak from first hand experience. The time it takes the 1DX to hit the buffer limit with the Lexar is noticeably longer than with the SanDisk. Also, the frame rate at which the camera can run indefinitely is higher with the Lexar (I think it will do 9fps forever in raw mode; definitely 8. The SanDisk can't touch that).

Dec 15, 2012 at 08:30 PM
xtralight

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

My Lexar 1000x cards are much faster than my Sandisk Extreme Pro cards on my 1DX. I would be able to have 1-1.5 secs more before filling up the buffer when shooting at 12 fps.

Dec 15, 2012 at 08:33 PM
speedmaster20d
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 1Dx - compact flash cards, which one is enough?

ggreene wrote:

That's the advertised bandwidth under best test conditions. Actual sustained bandwidth is usually different and not as high as advertised.

In my experience and with the 1DX there was no difference in buffer clearing speed with SanDisk extreme pro (UDMA 7 only) and Lexar 1000X (before they failed!).

Perhaps most folks here are using the older UDMA 6 cards. In that case the camera cannot utilize its full bandwidth and it will be slower.

BTW, I got one brand new in box 32 GB Lexar 1000X in B&S forum if you want to save a bit . It came bundled with one of my bodies but I don't want it :

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1173654/

Dec 15, 2012 at 08:38 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password