Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

anthonygh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

Bought a 5D two months ago and am increasingly impressed with the images.

I don't believe that the path to good images is more and more cash....almost the opposite in some respects...but if I sold the 5D and had bit more cash to add to another s/h body...would it be worth doing?

My usage is studio shoots...ISO 400 max....and will be doing land and seascape work as well. I'm a fair weather photographer!! Processing files in LR4. Print to a max A3 but can crop a bit at times.

From a personal 'like' perspective...my 1V HS is my favorite camera ...there is nothing about it I don't like a lot.

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:44 PM
MichaelMann
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

For another $500-$600 USD ---> 1DSII.

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:54 PM
lowa2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

Just got a 5D2 for 1100, that's a heck of a camera for that price! Love it compared to the 5d

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:08 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

I have had the 1D3 suggested by people that know I also rate my 40D....they suggest I sell both the 5D and 40D (the heretics actually suggest I sell my as new 1V HS as well..pagans!) !!

Is the 1d3 the equivalent in IQ to a 40D and 5D?

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:10 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

Hi Anthony, if you're thinking of moving to a 1D style I'd seriously send Peter aka PetKal a private message. He has been using the 1D Mark IIN and the 1DSII for years and only recently picked up the 1DX. Note, your 5D and the 1DIIN have the same pixel size; 8.2, the 1DSII is 16mp and it's pixels are only a bit smaller. I've seen his images and the older gears are truly amazing, his recent just to the IDX and it's images are inspiring, but the 8.2 pixel sensors just have a IMHO fantastic look...film like kinda.

What the newer bodies have over the older ones is high ISO; which you don't seem to need. the 1D3s seem like a great camera, but other than the IVHS I've never had a pro body. And i sold my 1V to move to digital; picked up a 40D and 70-200 f4L IS for it, I still have two EOS-3s tho

I'd be selfish if budget permits, and get a 1DIIN or 1DsII...but as above talk to Peter 1st...as far as the pagans go; flockem, film still rules kinda

Jerry

Edited on Dec 15, 2012 at 12:40 AM · View previous versions

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:37 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

Huge number of people watch this...but no comments. It would be interesting to know if other people are in a similar situation......or just having a look see...

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:37 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

StillFingerz wrote:
Hi Anthony, if you're thinking of moving to a 1D style I'd seriously send Peter aka PetKal a private message. He has been using the 1D Mark IIN and the 1DSII for years and only recently picked up the 1DX. Note, your 5D and the 1DIIN have the same pixel size; 8.2, the 1DSII is 16mp and it's pixels are only a bit smaller.

What the newer bodies have over the older ones is high ISO; which you don't seem to need. the 1D3s seem like a great camera, but other than the IVHS I've never had a pro body.
...Show more
Have thought about the 1D2N..research seems to suggest the 40D is better so far as IQ is concerned...

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:40 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

PS. I was tempted to get either the 5D or make the move to a 1DIIN, I tried instead; am still experimenting with a used 50D; was curious about the extra 5mp and the higher res LCD but I'm not impressed.

I've decided the 6D is a better fit...mostly because of weight and the WiFi; both a big plus for me. next spring the 6D fever will drop a bit as I'm hoping the price. For now film and the 40D are enough It's a tough call, my old gear still rocks, so I've been buying good glass.

Edited on Dec 15, 2012 at 01:04 AM · View previous versions

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:51 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

anthonygh wrote:
Have thought about the 1D2N..research seems to suggest the 40D is better so far as IQ is concerned...

At lower ISOs; below 800, the 1DIIN is much the same as your 5Dc...we're so spoiled with the 40D, it's old but so sweet; and it's IQ is just a whisker lower than 5Dc/IDIIN. I'm just gonna wait for the 6D flush out, a firmware or two update to be released...I like the two piece style; body and separate winder. You can go light or heavier, best of both worlds. For me, FF digital will mostly be for nature/landscape/flowers and close-up/macro work, my higher FPS bodies can still shoot action....seems like an okay compromise, otherwise I'd move to the 5D3.

Dec 15, 2012 at 01:01 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

I don't see the 40D being a lesser IQ than the 5D at A3 print level so far as the general public are concerned.....but a 1Dn2 is more a replacement than an improvement it seems to me.....it might be there is no real upgrade for my budget plus say 50% cash.

I recently bought a 1Gx to substitute for my G10 but at ISO 100 (my normal setting) the A3 prints are not that different....

Dec 15, 2012 at 01:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

anthonygh wrote:
I don't see the 40D being a lesser IQ than the 5D at A3 print level so far as the general public are concerned.....but a 1Dn2 is more a replacement than an improvement it seems to me.....it might be there is no real upgrade for my budget plus say 50% cash.

I recently bought a 1Gx to substitute for my G10 but at ISO 100 (my normal setting) the A3 prints are not that different....

I completely agree there is no cheap replacement. The only thing close might be a used 5DII or a 5DII through the Canon Loyalty Program, either one is around 1500...so there's no easy call. I've sold some of my old gear and will sell more, even my entry level EF glass...I've not simplified my kit much since 78 and it's time. The funds are going to a newer body...hopefully the 6D.

A3 is as large as I print in-house, mostly put images in digital frames these days or view via comp/web. I can't seem to shake film, don't think I will until they stop making it

That G1X looks like a nice bit of camera do enjoy, a G12 is still my 24/7, if they combined the G1X and the lens from the G15, put an articulated screen on it...I'd say winner

Good luck, hope you find what you need

Dec 15, 2012 at 01:32 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

This might be a bit of a shock.....but a print from my G1X looks close to my5D in a studio set up...however....the 5D was so much easier to get the shot...for landscape work...?

Dec 15, 2012 at 01:43 AM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

The 5D2 & 1Ds2 are both (in my opinion) more in line to your needs than a 1D2n. I had a 5D followed by the 40D & I felt the 40D was just a tiny bit nicer but I found skin tones nicer from the 5D. The 5D2 or 1Ds2 would be a big step up from the 5D for the small price difference some are selling for since the 5D3 hit the market.

Dec 15, 2012 at 01:50 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

The G1X must have some nice lens to pull that off, it's not a surprise, canon glass even some of the non-L's are fantastic...my 30yr old nFD lenses are still fantastic, none of them Ls.

There are some images from our G12 in my uploads, garden shots; bell peppers n tomatoes, at low ISOs, even on our Dell 24' monitor they look great, 8x11 prints come out pretty good on a 9500 mk2.

I can imagine the G1X is much better with it's APS-C sensor...what marvels of tech we have at our ready

Dec 15, 2012 at 01:59 AM
kevinsullivan
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

5DII or 1Ds II. 1Ds II if you prioritize fast and accurate autofocus, otherwise 5D II. Those are the best choices IMO.

Dec 15, 2012 at 02:18 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

For what you are wanting to shoot, the 5d2 would be the way I would go. It fits right into the studio and landscape niche. They can be had for $1200 lightly used. The liveview, extra pixels and sensor cleaning are all fabulous for landscapes.

Dec 15, 2012 at 02:27 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

Just me, but I'd stick with the 5D. If you're liking the results, why try to change them?

I guess you could dump the 5D for a cheap 5D2 (if you can find a cheap one) and that would be an improvement in a couple of areas, but the 5D on its own is a great camera.

I wish I had the cash for it and a Sigma 35 1.4, but alas Christmas bills and bills bills have wiped my bank accounts

Dec 15, 2012 at 05:11 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

cputeq wrote:
Just me, but I'd stick with the 5D. If you're liking the results, why try to change them?

I guess you could dump the 5D for a cheap 5D2 (if you can find a cheap one) and that would be an improvement in a couple of areas, but the 5D on its own is a great camera.

I wish I had the cash for it and a Sigma 35 1.4, but alas Christmas bills and bills bills have wiped my bank accounts

I am still learning to get the best from the 5D so I will see how things develop with it...on a functional / handling level there are no problems.....I don't think I missed a single shot through poor focusing the last time I used it.....and I rarely use the central point.

Stories about poor focusing were my main concern when considering this body.....so in this area I now have none so far as a 5D2 goes.

Dec 15, 2012 at 06:28 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

I think I have worked out how to get the bests images from the 5D using CS6..and I am not sure they are much better than images from my 40D with the same software.

Anyone suggest an economical upgrade where the images are noticeably better? To put it into perspective...my B+W MF scanned negs are noticeably better in my opinion...

Jan 02, 2013 at 10:48 PM
adrianb
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

Anthony: judging but what you said that you are usually shooting I would either:

a) stick with 5D and invest in glass (btw what glass do you currently have?)

b) if your pocket is itching, the only reasonable upgrade for your type/style of photography is the 5D mark II .

Don't think about 1D mark II / mark II N or 1D mark III.

They are amazing cameras but not for what you're shooting.

Also, don't think about 1Ds mark II. For what you're shooting,the 1Ds2 is pretty much a 5Dc IQ thing in a 1D body.

I had 5Dc, then moved to 5D II & 1D2, and now I'm back on 5Dc (financial reasons).

For landscape/portrait & still stuff, there is really no need for 1D APS-H bodies (nor for 1Ds 2 FF).

BTW, about the 1D3, in terms of IQ, the 1D3 is very close to 5D mark II (in my opinion).

For my style of shooting, if I had the money, I would go for 1D3 in a split second.

But for what you said you usually shoot, you don't need to complicate your life with 1D bodies.

Jan 02, 2013 at 11:00 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password