Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Archive 2012 · Taste-Test (C/Y vs FD @ 85mm)

Bifurcator
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Taste-Test (C/Y vs FD @ 85mm)

Considering only IQ which do you prefer?

Of course answer for your own camera but if you know these on a APS-C or a 4/3 then I would prefer your preference on those cameras between these two lenses.

If factors such as size, weight, adaptability, and build are important to you feel free to discuss them below but try not to let them influence your poll choice.

Thanks!

Dec 14, 2012 at 07:13 PM
briantho
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Taste-Test (C/Y vs FD @ 85mm)

The Contax is good, but I prefer the FD which I think is sharper and has considerably less CA.

Dec 14, 2012 at 08:58 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #3 · Taste-Test (C/Y vs FD @ 85mm)

I use both on a EOS 5D classic. The FD 85/1.2L has a little modified back lens position, in order to allow ~10m focus distance even without modified 5D mirror.

The Zeiss 85 is the AE version.
This is one of the big disadvantages of my Zeiss 85/1.4 -it shows jigsaw bokeh form at f-stop range ~2.0 .. 4.0. The other one is the not very good IQ when used with some extension tubes. But IQ is very good for ~1:10 reproduction size at ~f/4.0 or f/5.6. With this I made few images with some 3D (that 3D without small DOF).

At close distances the FD 85/1.2L is very good. And the bokeh form is better - no jigsaw form. But due to its aspherical lens the bokeh sometimes show onion rings. And I do not like onion rings in my pictures - I am a bokeh lover.
It is a a very small difference in complete IQ feel between the lenses, but at the moment I prefer the Zeiss image quality more.

Dec 14, 2012 at 09:06 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Taste-Test (C/Y vs FD @ 85mm)

Thanks so mush for the poll-participation and the explanations guys! It's appreciated!

May I ask however, what you mean by "onion rings"? Or do you have some samples?

Thanks again!

Dec 14, 2012 at 09:13 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Taste-Test (C/Y vs FD @ 85mm)

Edited on Dec 16, 2012 at 09:49 AM · View previous versions

Dec 14, 2012 at 09:23 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Taste-Test (C/Y vs FD @ 85mm)

Bifurcator wrote:
Thanks so mush for the poll-participation and the explanations guys! It's appreciated!

May I ask however, what you mean by "onion rings"? Or do you have some samples?

Thanks again!

Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 on long end. Lots of asph lens do that. Except maybe Leica. Asph elements are nice from performance point of view, but when bokeh matters Im willing to trade that asph for smooth bokeh.

I saw quite a lot of nice pics from C/Y 85mm f1.4 so it would be my choice. But in modern world I would maybe take 85mm f1.2 L for EF. Or maybe that mentioned Samyang/Rokinon etc. Tho for me its bit "lacking" on "look" side of thing. I prefer lens with own personality as I dont have any.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:02 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #7 · Taste-Test (C/Y vs FD @ 85mm)

Bifurcator wrote:
May I ask however, what you mean by "onion rings"? Or do you have some samples?...

I have no own samples online. I got some last week on our company Christmas party - but not for publication. The ones the FD 85/1.2L produce looks very much the same like those others:

Here are samples of onion ring bokeh - not with FD 85
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1255301
Or the worst onion rings - EF 50/1.0:
http://journal.bryansoderlind.com/uncategorized/f1.html

You got this only on few images - but these few are most likely those where I would like to get a smooth bokeh.
The Samyang 85/1.4 has a aspherical lens too - onion bokeh too. Or even worst, wooly bokeh:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=13575904&postcount=328

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:17 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Taste-Test (C/Y vs FD @ 85mm)

Mescalamba wrote:
Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 on long end. Lots of asph lens do that. Except maybe Leica.

At least some Leicas also have it.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:21 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Taste-Test (C/Y vs FD @ 85mm)

ZoneV wrote:
I have no own samples online. I got some last week on our company Christmas party - but not for publication.

Why, did you give Bild an exclusive?

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:25 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Taste-Test (C/Y vs FD @ 85mm)

Edited on Dec 16, 2012 at 09:49 AM · View previous versions

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JohnJ
• • •
p.1 #11 · Taste-Test (C/Y vs FD @ 85mm)

cogitech wrote:
I think it needs to be said; The onion ring issue is way overblown. It only happens in very specific circumstances.

I have never seen this issue appear in a single photo I have ever taken with the lenses in question (FD or Rokinon) and I have done a lot of shooting with them both.

If you try to make it appear, it is there. Under most conditions, not.

Ditto the ninja bokeh with AE lenses. If you are looking for that stuff then you'll find it, otherwise...

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:10 PM
JohnJ
• • •
p.1 #12 · Taste-Test (C/Y vs FD @ 85mm)

ZoneV wrote:
...Or the worst onion rings - EF 50/1.0:
http://journal.bryansoderlind.com/uncategorized/f1.html

I really like the images there but you can only attribute so much of that to the lens and the rest to the photog. The way the lens stamps it's own aesthetic to the image is very impressive and is a fair example of how to use this kind of lens (ie why would you use it stopped down?). This lens says 'look at me', onion ring bokeh or otherwise. I like it muchly. What can I sell...

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:18 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Taste-Test (C/Y vs FD @ 85mm)

Edited on Dec 16, 2012 at 09:50 AM · View previous versions

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:04 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Taste-Test (C/Y vs FD @ 85mm)

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:17 AM
helimat
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Taste-Test (C/Y vs FD @ 85mm)

Paul, I have always enjoyed the shots of your dog, but the second there is especially awesome.

cogitech wrote:
I think it needs to be said; The onion ring issue is way overblown. It only happens in very specific circumstances.

I have never seen this issue appear in a single photo I have ever taken with the lenses in question (FD or Rokinon) and I have done a lot of shooting with them both.

If you try to make it appear, it is there. Under most conditions, not.

Agreed 100%, in most cases in a real print of a real photo it would not even be noticeable IMO.

Dec 15, 2012 at 01:38 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Taste-Test (C/Y vs FD @ 85mm)

Hi Mat!

Thanks. One of my favourites, too. I really should print it some time and put it in my office...

Dec 15, 2012 at 01:50 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Taste-Test (C/Y vs FD @ 85mm)

Yea Zeiss has bit harsh bokeh - dual lines. Tho it depends on circumstances, most likely background and distance shot.

Dec 15, 2012 at 02:29 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Taste-Test (C/Y vs FD @ 85mm)

Dec 15, 2012 at 02:38 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Taste-Test (C/Y vs FD @ 85mm)

cogitech wrote:
    Mescalamba wrote:
    Yea Zeiss has bit harsh bokeh - dual lines. Tho it depends on circumstances, most likely background and distance shot.

The point is (for me); any of the shots I posted would be less pleasing (bokeh, colour and overall "feel") if shot with the Zeiss.

Switch to the Zeiss 85/1.2 50 or 60 Jahre and it becomes a worthwhile "apples to apples" comparison.

Bif, do the Zeiss a favour and compare it to the Nikkor.

Hell, even the Rokkor 85/1.7 draws better than the Zeiss. By quite a margin, too. Best "slow" 85 ever.

I sold the Nikon long ago. But the Nikon and the Zeiss render totally differently. I haven't tried the newest version with the nano-crystal coating yet tho. The one just previous to that however isn't really in the same class as these two (IMHO).

This FD and C/Y render a lot alike! And they both cost about the same give or take a few hundred. The Zeiss 85/1.2 is very very expensive - up around or past $2k - or about 3 to 4 times the price of the other two.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of C/Y 85/1.2 samples online but the ones I could find looked nearly identical to the 1.4 - when both were set to f/1.4 anyway.

So even though there's some aperture difference between the two in the poll I find them to be "in the same class" if I can use that phrase here. Not so with the Nikkor which is a class below (cuz of IQ) and not so with the C/Y 85/1.2 either (because of price).

Edited on Dec 18, 2012 at 07:24 PM · View previous versions

Dec 15, 2012 at 02:52 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · Taste-Test (C/Y vs FD @ 85mm)

Edited on Dec 16, 2012 at 09:51 AM · View previous versions

Dec 15, 2012 at 02:55 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register