Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · LR 4 question

Guari
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR 4 question

sorry if this has been asked before, I browsed and searched a bit but couldn't find it..

I just upgraded to LR4. I hate the new exposure slider set out. I loved my LR3 sliders.

I saw that when I upgraded my catalog from 3 to 4, it gives the option to keep the LR3 slider layout. But this seems to happen only with pics that had already been processed.

So for new pics added into LR4, is there any way to recall the old sliders make it a default over the new ones??

Thanks a lot

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:07 AM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR 4 question

I believe if you set the Process version to 2010 during import as part of a preset, you'll get what you want. But IMO, the 2012 Process is so much better it's worth the change.

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:01 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR 4 question

howardm4 wrote:
I believe if you set the Process version to 2010 during import as part of a preset, you'll get what you want. But IMO, the 2012 Process is so much better it's worth the change.

That is great to know.

I guess the "I hate" the new sliders is that I was so used to the old layout and was getting consistent results fast. I am trying to get a grip with the new setup but I just can't get to work around my images as fast getting consistent results as I used to.. I guess I just need more practice with the new layout..

If you don't mind me asking, what improvements do you see from the 2012 process? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure adobe had to improve things in order to have made such changes... I'm just not seeing it yet..

Thanks

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jchin
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR 4 question

+1 on the 2012 process ... once you actually work with them, you won't want to go back, they just work so much better

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:56 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR 4 question

In particular, 2012 gives better recovery of almost lost highlights without affecting the surrounding areas as much as 2010 does.

Another thing I like is being able to tweak WB with the mask feature. Good for getting a blue sky when the rest of the scene is not lit with the usual white daylight.

I also missed the 2010 sliders at first because I had learned to drive them well. Then Adobe switched the interface and I was a bit slow to take it on. Error.

First, know that if you change an image from 2010 to 2012 process then it can end up with a silly tone curve, so reset that back to linear. You probably will not need the contrasty tone curves if you use Adobe Standard camera calibration.

Then go back up to tweak the white balance to be at least approximately correct.

Then the biggest "trick" to using the basic 2012 sliders is knowing that you are actually meant to use them - i.e. you need not be too subtle about fiddling with shadows or highlights after first getting the mid-tone exposure right. Large values are quite ok and do not damage the image if the underlying data is there to play with. After using exposure, shadows and highlights you can fiddle with blacks and whites if required.

The clarity slider is more severe than 2010 could ever be so be gentle with that one until you see what it does. Values of 0-20 are usually sufficient.

By the way, to speed up moving from one image to another you can leave the noise reduction until as late as possible. It's quite snappy until NR comes into play and than it bogs down a bit.

- Alan

Dec 13, 2012 at 01:15 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LR 4 question

Alan321 wrote:
In particular, 2012 gives better recovery of almost lost highlights without affecting the surrounding areas as much as 2010 does.

Another thing I like is being able to tweak WB with the mask feature. Good for getting a blue sky when the rest of the scene is not lit with the usual white daylight.

I also missed the 2010 sliders at first because I had learned to drive them well. Then Adobe switched the interface and I was a bit slow to take it on. Error.

First, know that if you change an image from 2010 to 2012 process then it can end
...Show more

Thanks Alan for the thorough answer... I will give it a go again.. I'm just very frustrated with the new interface.. And my wife is even more frustrated...

Dec 13, 2012 at 02:09 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password