Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Safari Vehicle Camera Support Recommrndations

Safari Boy

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Safari Vehicle Camera Support Recommrndations

Our safari guests often ask me for a recommendations on how to support a long lens in safari vehicles. I wrote a blog post describing some of the popular support methods and devices. I also share a clamp rig I made for use in an open safari vehicle. Read the full article on my blog: Safari Camera Support Recommendations

Would also like to hear from other photographers how they supported their camera equipment while on safari.

My safari clamp support works in an open safari vehicle

Dec 12, 2012 at 02:57 PM
Bacalhau
• •
p.1 #2 · Safari Vehicle Camera Support Recommrndations

ouch !!! I don't want to see it after a few hours bumping around ,
That's a fine setup for when the 4x4 is stopped
The low tech version it's a bag of beans, which works very well on open canopy range-rovers. A mini-tripod can be also used to sit on the roof - the RR I was in, had a pop-up canopy system, so there was always a bit surface left at front or back -the mini-tripod was attached to lens plate.
While moving, there is no system I would trust. So I think any system that allows for a quick reset works the best. By the time you clamp, set angle/pitch and secure again...the shot opportunity might be gone.

on this type of 4x4 as seen in the picture, I would rather have a monopod, and would keep the clamp too, but set with RRS plate type or Arca-swiss compatible. This way I could easy move rig from monopd to clamp

Dec 12, 2012 at 07:01 PM
DGC1
• • •
p.1 #3 · Safari Vehicle Camera Support Recommrndations

I would definitely remove the camera and lens from the head while moving but otherwise this looks pretty good to me.

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:06 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Safari Vehicle Camera Support Recommrndations

I use one bean bag (Kinetic safari-sack) on each side and a molar bag for the windows. The problem with a fixed mount is lack of flexibility to respond to sudden action. I can hand hold the 500/4 IS well enough and often capture shots that would be impossible to do with the ball head.

EBH

Dec 13, 2012 at 01:09 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Safari Vehicle Camera Support Recommrndations

Sometimes I use one of these, for example at Lake Nakuru.

EBH

Dec 13, 2012 at 01:18 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password