Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Monitor recommendation

southwoodlaker
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Monitor recommendation

Hi, I am using my MacBook Pro and LightRoom to process photos and I am not satisfied with the color of prints I ordered from the prolab. I do have calibration hardware but it seems the Laptop screen is not consistent and varies with the environment and the viewing angle. I don't think I can spend more than $500 now or a better stand-alone monitor. I saw someone recommended this NEC monitor ($250 at BH):
NEC EA232WMI-BK 23"

I am also looking at the Dell UltrsSharp 24 ($460 at Amazon):
Dell UltraSharp U2410 24-inch

Which one you recommend? Thanks for your help.

Dec 12, 2012 at 06:21 AM
dgdg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Monitor recommendation

I am very pleased with my U2410.
Calibrated it with a spyder. Love it.

Dec 13, 2012 at 03:29 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Monitor recommendation

The environment will affect any monitor, so don't blame the MBP for that.

A new monitor has significant benefits (and downsides) but you may not need one as badly as you might think.

The vertical viewing angle (affected by the tilt of the screen) is my biggest problem with the MBP screen for colour accuracy and brightness. I wear eyeglasses and the monitor can seem like I am looking directly at it (i.e. the screen is perpendicular to my line of sight to the centre of the screen) and yet it usually is not. A small-ish change to the angle can make a big difference to the intensity of bright reds, for example, and to the details that are visible in those reds (as on flowers). A whole lot of edits can be avoided by getting the monitor angle right.

Nowadays I routinely put a small rectangular card end-on against the screen with one of its corners near the centre of the screen, and then I make sure that the edge poking towards me from that corner is aimed at my eyes. Thus it becomes very easy to confirm that the screen is perpendicular to my line of sight and then the colours and brightness are far more consistent. That in turn will make prints more consistent.

Horizontal variations in viewing angle are relatively insignificant compared with the vertical angles.

The retina screen on my iPad seems to be better in this regard and so I can see a retina MBP in my future once they give it more external interface ports.

- Alan

Dec 13, 2012 at 01:49 PM
southwoodlaker
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Monitor recommendation

Thank you for the responses! I actually ordered a Dell UltraSharp U2713HM for myself as Xmas gift.
Hope that'll help a little bit on the color, at least will make my eyes easier.

Dec 14, 2012 at 05:28 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password