Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · CF Card corruption

wsumrell
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · CF Card corruption

I have a question, can a CF card become corrupt and produce images that are not in focus, or would it be a problem with the camera? If the card goes bad will it just not store the images or can they be OOF? I am shooting with a 1D IV and 400mm f/5.6 L for wildlife, specifically birds. I have the camera set to center focus, AI Servo, ISO 400-800 depending on the conditions and my images are just not crisp. And no to be honest I have not tried a different card today, but I was shooting on a tripod at a distance of anywhere from 100-150 feet from the subject, slightly cloudy conditions @f6.3 ISO 800, AV priority and I get photos like this, any ideas?

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:38 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · CF Card corruption

Corrupted CF cards will typically give you black or very pixelated areas of the image. I am not aware soft images caused by CF carrds. It certainly looks like the background is more in focus than the target. Have you done any MF adjustment of that lens on the camera?

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:44 AM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #3 · CF Card corruption

Camera problem not card. Where is the focus dot when viewing in camera or DPP?

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:46 AM
tonywong88
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · CF Card corruption

Image corruption will be fairly obvious since digital corruption is nothing like analog corruption. Half of the image would be gone or blocks of non image would be displayed. This isn't a corrupted image.

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:47 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · CF Card corruption

wsumrell wrote:
I have a question, can a CF card become corrupt and produce images that are not in focus, or would it be a problem with the camera?

No. A corrupt CF card can certainly produce significant problems; the card can become corrupted, or the storage process can be affected by external RF interference, but it won't be something as subtile as an OOF image. It will manifest as significant areas of "no image", bands of inappropriate colour, and/or 'messy digital carp'.

OOF images with long lenses are most often due to technique. Tripods are great, but a 'stiff' setup can produce vibration-induced problems. Have you tried using a bean bag? It an be uncomfortable to lay on the ground to use a bean bag (or big hunp of dirt), but the added damping can provide much sharper images.

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:50 AM
wsumrell
• •
p.1 #6 · CF Card corruption

Dot is in the center

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:54 AM
wsumrell
• •
p.1 #7 · CF Card corruption

I have a bean bag, so Iwill give that a try, but it was every image I took this morning, not just a couple

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · CF Card corruption

Have you done AF microadjustment (AFMA) with this lens + camera combination?

Your sample image seems to have best focus in the mid to background areas, but the bird appears to be slightly over exposed, and so it's hard to judge focus accuracy there.

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:57 AM
wsumrell
• •
p.1 #9 · CF Card corruption

I have tried AFMA, but only viewing on LCD, if weather is permitting I am going to try a calibration tomorrow and use the Mac

Dec 12, 2012 at 01:04 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.1 #10 · CF Card corruption

Yes, that's the next step... and you'll give yourself a better chance of getting it right if you take a series at different adjustment values (using MLU and a remote release) and evaluating them later on your computer. Just using the camera's LCD isn't going to be nearly as accurate.

Dec 12, 2012 at 02:29 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · CF Card corruption

It is not the card. Check the AF and do the test at a closer distance.

EBH

Dec 12, 2012 at 02:32 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · CF Card corruption

see http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1173237/0#11184290

Dec 12, 2012 at 03:11 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.1 #13 · CF Card corruption

Canon recommends a distance of 50 times the focal length. But some have reported that for some lenses, the amount of adjustment needed varies with the distance at which they focus, and they say you should do the adjustment at the distance at which you would typically be focusing. But to me, that seems like an impossible thing to determine, since different situations call for focusing at different distances. To really get perfectionist about it, one would have to make note of the needed adjustment amount at a range of distances, and set the value to reflect the distance at which one is about to focus. Even if one had the leisure to do that in any given instance, it would still be something of a pain in the proverbial... so we each have to decide for ourselves to what extent we want to take it. To coin a phrase, we make our own bed, then sleep in it.

Dec 12, 2012 at 03:17 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password